Partick Thistle Vs St. Johnstone - Saturday 10 September

jagfox

If TC is out for a while then this could be make or break for Scully.It's a big chance for him to show he can play in the top divison and he has to take it.

Last season it was all about the consistancy of our defence,this season, as Lambie would say, "They look as if they couldnae keep weans oot a close".

As I said in an earlier post if Cerny is out for a lengthy period, this will make or break Scully's career at Firhill. No matter what anyone else says he was poor last season in what was a very good defence. He will now be coming in to a team where the defence (so far) hasn't shown the same authority as last season and there is very little leeway to change things defensively other than playing Barton there. The next month should tell us plenty about how the season is going go.

Idiot?

You may have a different opinion to mine, but that does not give you the right to call anyone an idiot. At least try to conduct yourself with a modicum of humility. There was absolutely no need for that.

I'll trust Archie's judgement. He thinks Ryan Scully is a good enough back-up keeper?

That's good enough for me.

Wind your neck in? Drama queen? Being a bit selective with words there Barney Boy. Won't drag the topic into a spat, but watch what your saying before you have a rant about a reply. Works both ways. If you want a discussion PM me!!

Edited by Lindau

Wind your neck in? Drama queen? Being a bit selective with words there Barney Boy. Won't drag the topic into a spat, but watch what your saying before you have a rant about a reply. Works both ways. If you want to reply PM me!!

No - I won't bother with the PM, thanks.

I do not consider you an idiot - not by any means.

You are a passionate Jags fan like myself.

But you are a drama queen.

My offer to meet you for a beer before/after a Jags game still stands.

I'll leave that one up to you.

No - I won't bother with the PM, thanks.

I do not consider you an idiot - not by any means.

You are a passionate Jags fan like myself.

But you are a drama queen.

My offer to meet you for a beer before/after a Jags game still stands.

I'll leave that one up to you.

Not sure what part of being worried about our reserve goalkeeper equates into being a drama queen. Think you will find a lot of like minded Jags fans have the same doubts. I have been upfront in my feelings about Scully from Day 1. Nothing would please me more to be proved wrong. Let's hope I am and I will be the first to admit it

As for the drink, despite being Thistle fans, I just don't think we are compatible enough to have a civilised drink Barney Boy....lol

Edited by Lindau

Not sure what part of being worried about our reserve goalkeeper equates into being a drama queen. I have been upfront in my feelings about Scully from Day 1. Nothing would please me more to be proved wrong. Let's hope I am and I will be the first to admit it

As for the drink, despite being Thistle fans, I just don't think we are compatible enough to have a civilised drink Barney Boy....lol

OK - fair dos. I'm open to any Thistle fan, but I guess you cannot win them all...........

The bigger disappointment is that you could not see your way to retracting your needless reference to me as an idiot.................

Part of the fallout of the overblown media concentration on the most significant game in the history of World Football which took place elsewhere in the City yesterday is that the rest of Scottish Football is seen to be of little importance...I had no idea who the other teams in our Division were playing yesterday because all games bar one were ignored. That and the dull functional style of the opposition lead to a flat atmosphere and performance from the start.

The old guy behind me who has Moaner's Tourettes was in full voice from early on - constantly criticising the most minor errors and generally abusing Archibald for playing Welsh & Lawless instead of Edwards...never heard him when Edwards missed our best chance or gave the ball away for their second goal...and I have never heard him encourage a player or applaud good play. Several people round about were muttering about him and it crossed my mind to move elsewhere...or when the game is as dire as yesterday, to wonder about going to Firhill at all.

I didn't think that Ziggy Gordon had that bad a match yesterday but then I don't think he is a particularly outstanding player and not as good as Stephen O'Donnell & Dumbuya. There were several other players who would have been funnier choices as Man of the Match.

Booth had a poor game but it seems a bit harsh to criticise our Defence when we lost two well taken goals but otherwise confined what is supposedly one of the better teams in the Division to one other chance in the game - I can't remember them having another dangerous attack and they had 2 corners in the entire game.

We know Booth, Erskine, Lawless & Doolan are better players than they showed yesterday - I gather Ziggy commented about the grass being a bit long and it did strike me that there were several occasions when the ball seemed to get caught under their feet. However, it is obvious that Doolan should not be playing in that deeper role. I don't think that Amoo, Elliot or Edwards are the answer

There seem to be some players who are regular targets for criticism not always justifiably...Welsh & Lindsay were probably our least bad players yesterday and if Buffon or Buffoon had been in goal instead of Scully it wouldn't have made any difference as he had nothing to do. However, other players seem to be exempt - I like Big Osman but he struggled with injury towards the end of last season and has been poor so far this year. We need more creativity from midfield and we have just signed a defensive midfielder who apparently has good passing ability - that would seem an obvious change to make.

It's a bit early in the season to go into panic mode - I don't think there is much between 8 of the sides in the League...and possibly one other despite their big budget. If we win our game in hand, which shouldn't be too difficult, we would be in seventh place.

;

• Like 1

There does seem to be a lot of fitness issues at the club, from Cerny, Bannigan, Doumbaya and Fraser to guys like Elliot, Booth, Osman who are back from injury but don't look fit at all. If we had all these guys fit, things would be a lot rosier at the club. Just need to try and battle through this period.

Another thing that rattles my cage is free kicks and throw ins. It seems that every team we play against steals more than a few yards whereas we seem to retreat and take them from further back.

For all that Ziggy did not have his best game yesterday, one thing you could not fault him for was stealing yards (or should we now say metres?) at defensive throw ins. The St Johnstone fans in the Main Stand were getting really wound up at the distance he managed to advance before releasing the ball at every throw in.

I am as frustrated as everyone with yesterday's performance.

We were easily beaten by a well organised but dull team.

And I understand some of the criticism. But I am unimpressed by the lack of positive strategies from anyone on this forum.

The question is, how are we going to score some goals with the players that we have?

Could I please have some plans from you brilliant strategists?

I am as frustrated as everyone with yesterday's performance.

We were easily beaten by a well organised but dull team.

And I understand some of the criticism. But I am unimpressed by the lack of positive strategies from anyone on this forum.

The question is, how are we going to score some goals with the players that we have?

Could I please have some plans from you brilliant strategists?

Er, that's what the club pay Archie for.

There's no question yesterday's performance simply wasn't good enough. I laughed when Gordon was named MOM but in truth there was no obvious candidate and a few other choices would have got the same reaction.

We started brightly and certainly matched them without looking dangerous until the goal however after that their experience and professionalism killed the game. We made far too many errors and there are still one or two who's season haven't started yet. I would say Lawless and Booth are way under par and with Devine and Gordon showing nothing yet the defence is no were near the standard of last year.

With both fullbacks offering little going forward and this a large part of our attacking options we look short up front. Erskine has been good since his return and adds an extra dimension however he was anonymous in the second half, Azeez looked bright and can consider himself unlucky to be subbed at halftime.

Cherny is a great keeper but he just seems too fragile, the incident yesterday didn't look to be any cause for concern but no doubt he'll be out for weeks.

Getting beat in a single match with St Johnstone is nothing to be alarmed about however the run of matches coming up are already pressure games that we need to take at least 4 points from 9 to avoid losing ground.

The squad is more than capable they simply need to perform and show it otherwise we could get isolated.

For all that Ziggy did not have his best game yesterday, one thing you could not fault him for was stealing yards (or should we now say metres?) at defensive throw ins. The St Johnstone fans in the Main Stand were getting really wound up at the distance he managed to advance before releasing the ball at every throw in.

Not every throw-in. About 3 or 4 times especially first half he threw it back to Devine when he wasn't ready and at a trajectory that was difficult to control, putting him under threat with every second touch.

I can't stand playing St Johnstone, they must be the most boring team to play/watch. I feel sorry for their fans that turn up to watch that pish from Tommy Wright every week.

I have to say that was almost bizarre watching what happened after the first 15 minutes and the goal. Went from quite positive from us to, almost like we were entranced by the sheer monotony of the football they play and were unable to get out of it.

Don't think we should be panicking and seems a bit premature to think this is a disaster. St Johnstone play this kind of pish week in, week out and are masters of doing this to teams, we fell for it, maybe that is partly Archies fault and partly the players. I'm expecting next week a better game of football, but not necessarily another win yet.

• Like 1