In Praise Of Cerny

gerrybritton9

He doesn't get a lot of attention and isn't flamboyant but I think Tomas Cerny is a rock for us.

Against Dundee he spent a lot of the game doing nothing but when called upon, he is a safe pair of hands .

He is calm confident experienced and is obviously a great influence on our defence

Thanks Tomas - you don't grab the headlines but are appreciated !

• Like 1

I've played across the back 4 in my day and knowing you have someone behind you who knows what he's doing is a great reasurrance.

He seems like a wise old boss who has seen it all but let's you do your job without making you feel like a boy

I was impressed even by the way he told the ref that the ball was damaged and wanted another one!

He did not party a single shot against Dundee - clean catch every time .

Cerny makes the whole difference to the defence. Look at the amount of shut outs he had last season. He shipped a couple of near post goals earlier this season, but I think we can put that down to the fact that he was nowhere near full fitness. I know he is signed up till the end of next season but I would be happy to see that extended again right now! His reaction at the end of the game on Wednesday night with the guys at the front of the North Stand shows what the club (and having a shut out) means to him! Same again today Tomas!

Edited by Lindau

Played as a centre back at a decent then not good level over 20 years. At every level though the decent keeper is everything - confidence for the whole team starts at the the back. So does panic or unease.

Agree entirely, Tomas is a fine keeper and better than a few in this league, I'd venture to suggest. Thing I can't fathom is just why Accies and Hibs let him go-probably down to one of the latter stunningly good managers I'd guess-but as they say one man's ill fortune is another's bounty'