St Johnstone At Mcdiarmid Park

Knightswood Jag

The one thing that confuses the hell out of me is why Osman is the first name on the team sheet. Whether he comes back from injury or suspension, he is always put straight back into the team. He was not awful today, but he hasn't played consistently well for at least the last year, and having two defensive midfielders making up our middle two just stifles any creativity through the middle.

• Like 1

We all probably looked at the fixtures and hoped for the odd win or two plus some draws over the first 2 months, but feared a whitewash.

No matter how it pans out, October is huge month for us, as good results against our bottom 6 rivals has been the reason for relatively decent success over the last season or two.

Given we shouldn't expect much from November, December is another important month for us.

Barney, realistically a draw. But we could surprise them. If we can keep Celtic down to 1-0, it's possible.

I don't disagree with you Sandy.

Always feel with games like today and Celtic, it's the first goal that is influential to our style of play and the ultimate result. When was the last time we took the lead v Celtic? Not this century IIRC.

Would love us to make it work v Sevco............maybe next month.

Bottom line is that we need points on the board and soon.

We've lost two away games against teams expected to finish above us this season given budget/recent seasons (one of those games narrowly), and we've lost a home game (by one goal) to the Champions who haven't lost a domestic game of football in over 50 matches.

Bit of perspective.

This attitude of playing teams above us with bigger budgets, expected to finish above us pish. Its little wonder their 'expected' to finish above us when we give them that sort of respect. Hamiltons budget is less or similar to ours. They never dropped their drawers at easter road the day. We have a decent squad there now, one i 'expect' will score us goals but we need to give them decent service. Aberdeen next week, i hope we dont surrender because there expected to finish above us.

This attitude of playing teams above us with bigger budgets, expected to finish above us pish. Its little wonder their 'expected' to finish above us when we give them that sort of respect. Hamiltons budget is less or similar to ours. They never dropped their drawers at easter road the day. We have a decent squad there now, one i 'expect' will score us goals but we need to give them decent service. Aberdeen next week, i hope we dont surrender because there expected to finish above us.

This - every team has the same set of fixtures somewhere along the line.

Right now it's evident that Martin Canning has adapted better than most from last season.

It was a genuine question LIB.

I see you have conveniently forgotten the first 45 of that match.

St mirren was the best attacking performance I've seen for at least a year possibly more.

Am i expecting too much to see us TRY and score?

So you're answer to when was the last time we were exciting to watch was last month and I'm saying saying this month. OK, apologies I thought you were trying to make a different point entirely. I don't really follow your point about us not being exciting to watch prior to the St Mirren match but everything is relative and beauty in the eye as they say.

In 11 games i was 'fortunate' enough to attend last season i saw us score 7 goals. 2 of those games we won, airdrie in the cup and dundee before Christmas. Im sure you will understand then that the st mirren result was long overdue. The recurring theme in many of the games last season as well as the others i have seen so far except the afore mentioned game was that we failed to create chances or even look like attacking. Its got to improve

• Like 1

Worrying.... we've managed to claw our way back from truly abysmal starts to the league season in the past couple of years, but there's no guarantee that we'll be able to do so again.

However, from the brief highlights on Youtube, we had a few decent chances which with a bit of luck might have produced a goal. For their goal..... our defence opened up to leave a very nice, clear passage for the guy.

As somebody else mentioned, it looks like Doolan is going to be yet again relegated to the bench more often than not, while his replacements will get selected regularly but do nothing to show that they are any kind of improvement.

As somebody else mentioned, it looks like Doolan is going to be yet again relegated to the bench more often than not, while his replacements will get selected regularly but do nothing to show that they are any kind of improvement.

So, we've been crying out for a striker. Archie signs the player the majority of fans wanted to be signed. But he's not to start a game? And regardless, you've written him off anyway.

So, we've been crying out for a striker. Archie signs the player the majority of fans wanted to be signed. But he's not to start a game? And regardless, you've written him off anyway.

I take it you watched the game yesterday PT ? , until Doolan came on we were totally ineffective , with Erskine , Lawless etc watching long balls getting lumped over their heads and put into channels.

Cerny was kicking everything from hand, I know there are lots of different ways to win games but with the players we've got that wasn't it.

Of course we needed back up to Doolan as we couldn't go all season with one striker and one untried striker in Kevin Nesbitt but why does our top goal scorer as always gets dumped on the bench as soon as someone new is signed( Lyle Taylor, Azeez, Pogba and now Storey)

Surely if you want to accommodate Sammon for his strength in the air or Storey for his pace you play Doolan alongside them.

Doolan will prove yet again this season that he is our best bet for scoring goals ,in my opinion Sammon and Storey should be used to enhance Doolan's goal scoring record and give us a better chance to win games.

• Like 1

The selection of striker(s) is not the issue in my opinion. The problem stems from the midfield, and the defence minded approach to the team's set-up, which leads to an overly slow build-up and lack of a decent supply to the strikers. My recollection of the times when we have been exciting to watch (and successful) is when we have had attacking wing backs who by-pass our turgid central midfield. The squad, as has been poined out, is probably the strongest we have had for a long time, but unless a more attack minded approach is taken, then we will always be on the back foot, and struggle to remain in the top league. Now is the time for some boldness in selection and tactics - leaving until later in the season will give too many hostages to fortune.

• Like 2

The selection of striker(s) is not the issue in my opinion. The problem stems from the midfield, and the defence minded approach to the team's set-up, which leads to an overly slow build-up and lack of a decent supply to the strikers. My recollection of the times when we have been exciting to watch (and successful) is when we have had attacking wing backs who by-pass our turgid central midfield. The squad, as has been poined out, is probably the strongest we have had for a long time, but unless a more attack minded approach is taken, then we will always be on the back foot, and struggle to remain in the top league. Now is the time for some boldness in selection and tactics - leaving until later in the season will give too many hostages to fortune.

Should we really be changing our style of play to accommodate Miles Storey or Conor Sammon ?

I take it you watched the game yesterday PT ? , until Doolan came on we were totally ineffective , with Erskine , Lawless etc watching long balls getting lumped over their heads and put into channels.

Cerny was kicking everything from hand, I know there are lots of different ways to win games but with the players we've got that wasn't it.

Of course we needed back up to Doolan as we couldn't go all season with one striker and one untried striker in Kevin Nesbitt but why does our top goal scorer as always gets dumped on the bench as soon as someone new is signed( Lyle Taylor, Azeez, Pogba and now Storey)

Surely if you want to accommodate Sammon for his strength in the air or Storey for his pace you play Doolan alongside them.

Doolan will prove yet again this season that he is our best bet for scoring goals ,in my opinion Sammon and Storey should be used to enhance Doolan's goal scoring record and give us a better chance to win games.

We don't need back up to Doolan. We need someone who will score more than Doolan.

Imagine being a striker, looking for a club and being told you're here as back up. Any striker worth their salt would go elsewhere.

If The 3 attacking midfielders are watching everything go over their heads, it's their job to get on the second ball that the pushes the defence back. If the ball is going into the channel that's to drag defenders out of position to create space elsewhere in the defence. All tactics which are best used to break down a rigid defensive set up.

We can hark back to the days of attacking wing backs. But that was when we won the league against a lot of dross. With players who weren't as fit as ours or not as tactically astute as ours. Our Defensive midfielders could be gung ho because the opposition weren't able to counter attack the way premiership teams can.

We're not even a handful of games into the season. A fixture list we acknowledged before a ball was kicked was a bloody tough start.

• Like 1

A disjointed performance with chances at a premium for both sides. A good goal from the Johnnies perspective but I could see the opportunity present itself as Elliott let MOH go on his run. Nice pass to play him (Scougall?) in and he took his chance neatly. I assume he was meant to go with him as Erskine gave him a bit of an ear bashing at the kickoff. I though Paton gave the Saints a bit more dig and steel compared to the other week although it seemed they had less attempts at goal.

Always tough, nay impossible, to get three points after going a goal down to St Johnstone. We just didn't create enough chances (a there stretching back to last season). Only Keown's speculative long range shot caused Mannus any concerns. Considering we ended up with Doolan, Erskine, Sammon and Storey on the pitch we should really have done a lot better. Mitigating factor is that Storey and Sammon have still to build that understanding with their fellow forwards. The worrying point was that Doolan and Erskine didn't seem on the same page at times either.

Solid enough at the back but the midfield was too pedestrian in their passing. Overall the outlook isn't too bad as I see us playing better over the coming weeks rather than regressing.

Credit to St Johnstone. They weren't great but got their tactics right and deserved their win in the end.

We don't need back up to Doolan. We need someone who will score more than Doolan.

Imagine being a striker, looking for a club and being told you're here as back up. Any striker worth their salt would go elsewhere.

If The 3 attacking midfielders are watching everything go over their heads, it's their job to get on the second ball that the pushes the defence back. If the ball is going into the channel that's to drag defenders out of position to create space elsewhere in the defence. All tactics which are best used to break down a rigid defensive set up.

We can hark back to the days of attacking wing backs. But that was when we won the league against a lot of dross. With players who weren't as fit as ours or not as tactically astute as ours. Our Defensive midfielders could be gung ho because the opposition weren't able to counter attack the way premiership teams can.

We're not even a handful of games into the season. A fixture list we acknowledged before a ball was kicked was a bloody tough start.

So you're thinking is Conor Sammon and Miles Storey are going to score 15 + goals this season, if they score that between them I think we've done well.

Should we really be changing our style of play to accommodate Miles Storey or Conor Sammon ?

I am not suggesting we change it because of them, I am suggesting we change it to increase our chances of survival in the league and increase gates by a more attractive style of play. We have the players to do it, but I question the tactical nous of the management team
  • Like 1