Time To Take Stock....

javeajag

Ok four games , four defeats and four poor performances so clearly not the start we wanted

The concern for me is how poorly we have played - and maybe time to admit st mirren are just very poor - and how bad our defensive play is

We think our midfield is our strength as we have so many players there but as today showed again it is our weakness ....our passing and movement and Poseidon play was dreadful

No k EE jerk actions required .....well may be in the transfer market !

Genuine question - How many did you think we would have after the first four games, given who the opposition have been?

Let's not make excuses here because of the fixture list.

Genuine answer - Hibs and St J were way winnable if we are serious. Today was a home game and frankly we should have won it.

I'll agree that anything from Celtic would have been a bonus. And even then if Dools sticks that header away.........

Genuine answer - Hibs and St J were way winnable if we are serious. Today was a home game and frankly we should have won it.

I'll agree that anything from Celtic would have been a bonus. And even then if Dools sticks that header away.........

Agree with Barney. Hamilton absolutely dismantled Hibernian, and given our form over the past two or three seasons in Perth, it wasn't unreasonable to expect at least a point (or a decent display). 3 points at this stage would have been what I expected.

i think we need to be careful we dont just accept that is ok to lose to any team that we think might finish above us....we did beat st johnstone in the cup after all and they just gave Celtic a hard match

there are worrying signs at the moment particuarly if you go back to the comments around its the best squad for 40 years etc....we have not really played well in our 4 league matches and not won in 9

Just to point out that we scored 3 goals against Scotland's second best team.

Not everything is going wrong.

Too true. The fact we haven't any points is a completely separate issue. Our last games last season against Celtic and Aberdeen we were 11 goals to the worse. This season 2 goals to the worse. Not trying to put too positive a spin on what after all are defeats but at the same time it would be hard to argue that we're not a tad harder to beat.

Interesting to read people talking about how well Hamilton are doing at the moment. How many games in a row did they lose initially under Canning and if you were to check their forum the fans who post there (and I realise that might not be how the whole support think) wanted him sacked last season. Should the lesson we take, if any, from Hamilton is to stick with your manager especially when, like Archie, he has a good record behind him.

I think by common assessment for the Jags to finish in the top six this season would be a great achievement. Then why would we expect to take many points from 4 teams that are likely to finish in the top 6 and of 3 of the 4 we have played sitting 1st to 3rd and undefeated so far in the league.

Sure we should always go into every game not overwhelmed and expecting to take something but that isn't the same as reality and being unlikely to happen in most occasions.

To say we have played poorly in all games is just BS and sour grapes.

Our season starts now and where we need to pick up points is where we will and should be judged. We have a better squad this year but they need to prove it, previous squads have it's just regrettable that this counts for nothing with too many so called fans.

Our season started on 5th August, same as everyone else.

Fair enough, if it's facts you understand then you'll be no doubt aware that we have one of the smallest budgets in the league and that cash generally determines the quality you can buy and that quality equals better players and that better players play better which means you win? With me so far?

Of the four teams we have played three of them will average over 10,000+ home gates versus our paltry 3000 of which I sincerely hope you are 1 off or else why am I wasting my time spelling all of these facts out to you?

Fair enough, if it's facts you understand then you'll be no doubt aware that we have one of the smallest budgets in the league and that cash generally determines the quality you can buy and that quality equals better players and that better players play better which means you win? With me so far?

Of the four teams we have played three of them will average over 10,000+ home gates versus our paltry 3000 of which I sincerely hope you are 1 off or else why am I wasting my time spelling all of these facts out to you?

Thanks, and I appreciate your analysis, but there's only one budget that counts.

And that's the one that says we have no points on the board.

@ Barney Rubble - we are all hurting and we are all disappointed that we have no points yet.

No one, I suggest, thinks it's fine that we are on zero for this season or that we are on a long losing streak in the league.

However, unless you are a recent convert to the Jags, you will appreciate that we are, overall, in a good spell of Thistle performances compared to the late nineties/early 2000s for instance.

The main fact is that money wins football matches and leagues, and we just don't have enough of it.

My feeling is that we are doing reasonably well in using what cash we have and that Archie has assembled a decent squad.

I hope and believe that we will come good and will be secure for another season in the top league.

That would make it the longest run with the "Giants of Scottish football" in my 25 years of following Thistle and I'm OK with that.

I'm far too old to risk high blood pressure in getting apoplectic over a few football results. (although I was F'n furious when the fourth goal went in today!)

You may have a stronger constitution than me ..... :)

• Like 2

So 9 or 10 points then? That would have been a tremendous start given the fixtures! IMHO we are probably 4 or 5 pts off where we should be. Chucked away a point today in the last 5 mins for sure. I think though we look better than at this stage last season. Will we finish top 6? Possibly Hibs might take our spot.

It all depends on what you are looking for from a football team. I think we should aim for continual improvement. If you don't think that there's much point in that, or if you think winning games against Hibs/Aberdeen/Sevco/Celtic or taking cup competitions seriously isn't appropriate for Partick Thistle, then that's fine, but don't criticise those who are more ambitious.

If you listen to Archie after the match.....

Our defending was poor

So was Aberdeen's, it was an end to end game that we were unlucky to lose and I for one am very proud of our performance yesterday. If you put it into perspective Aberdeen are unbeaten so far this season apart from the Apollon game, top of the league and an improved team from last year and we went head to head with them. This is the usual annual panic season for Thistle but if we can play like that every week and stiffen up the defence a bit a win is forthcoming!