A Big Problem

Knightswood Jag

Injuries are now becoming chronic and there seems to be a group of players that always seem to have a niggling injury. There must be a serious problem in the way the club are treating injuries as to have this many injuries is just not normal. Osman, Dumbuya and Cerny seem to be forever injured. What's going on behind the scenes? Player fitness also seems to be a problem towards the end of most games, I know we have a sport scientist but something is going seriously wrong and until we tackle this problem we can't be expected to go to the next level with this team and challenge for European places.

Think we look far worse off because we have such a small squad, so as we have done in previous seasons, we have had to continue to play players who would normally have not played so maybe aggravating any niggles. look how many times we have not been able to fill a full subs bench or had to name players who are from the development squad. just a thought. :unknw:

Edited by jaggybunnet

Injuries are now becoming chronic and there seems to be a group of players that always seem to have a niggling injury. There must be a serious problem in the way the club are treating injuries as to have this many injuries is just not normal. Osman, Dumbuya and Cerny seem to be forever injured. What's going on behind the scenes? Player fitness also seems to be a problem towards the end of most games, I know we have a sport scientist but something is going seriously wrong and until we tackle this problem we can't be expected to go to the next level with this team and challenge for European places.

Suggest you e mail, write or phone Archie re your observations. Let us all know how you get on..

Did us okay last season. Just sayin

Maybe we work harder than other teams

It is quite apparent that in a number of games we work hard early on and pay a high price at the end of the game. The full backs in particular often seem done in come the last 15-20 mins.

This season and last we have had some terrible runs of form. I'm not saying in any way that top 6 last year was anything other than a huge success, but we could have done better without the now trsditional poor start.

It's a good point flashman and one i made on another thread. Perhaps we need better game management, i'm sure it will come just as it did last season and the one before.

As i read before on the forum, we are better off than this stage last season when it took us ten games to gather three points.

We are making progress and it's worth remembering no player goes out to start a game intending to have a stinker or to run out of puff in the last 15-20 minutes. I've been very impressed with the work ethic so far and as the stamina fitness improves we will manage the final period better.

I can't believe that we haven't won a league game in close to 6-months because of bad luck. This has been a systemic issue since even before the split last season. The reason we haven't won in our last 13 league games seems simple to me: we score too little, we concede too many, and we don't have the fitness and/or bottle to protect a lead for 90mins.

• Like 1

I can't believe that we haven't won a league game in close to 6-months because of bad luck. This has been a systemic issue since even before the split last season. The reason we haven't won in our last 13 league games seems simple to me: we score too little, we concede too many, and we don't have the fitness and/or bottle to protect a lead for 90mins.

This and this.

There's only so much bad luck you can have! ;)

There was no issue before the split. We were on a great run until top six was guaranteed. After that it's fair to say the foot went off the gas. Not great, but personally think that's understandable and I didn't care that much.

But honestly, in the time since, how many games can you genuinely say we've played that we'd be expected to win? Even when things are going really well....

Rangers away?

Hearts away?

Celtic at home?

St Johnstone away?

Rangers at home?

Aberdeen at home?

Hibs away?

Celtic at home?

St Johnstone away?

Aberdeen at home?

Ross County away?

Rangers at home?

Hearts at home?

I'm not saying that this many games without a win is good. Law of averages, we'd hope to win one or two (no more!) But I think context is important and I reckon that's a freak run of fixtures. I genuinely doubt that Thistle have had a tougher run of fixtures in the 30-odd years I've been watching them.

Late goals are an issue at the moment, and I'm sure the sitting back thing is related to the long run without a win. Confidence is bound to be affected. All the more reason why the context has to be considered. I don't think we look poor at all, and a couple of wins in the next few games will allow us to put things behind us. Because i still think Thistle are in a better place than we have been for many many years.

Oh, and we're currently four 90 minute games unbeaten.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

CRAZY statistic.

For the same run of matches, if you look at the five remaining teams in the bottom half last season... So for example, Celtic's last two away games against these clubs, Rangers last home and last two away games etc...

The bottom six clubs have managed ONE POINT out of thirteen games. I think that puts into context what a tough set of matches it's been. We're doing no worse (in fact a fair bit better) in these games than the teams we finished above last season.

I think you need to disregard the last 5 of last season. We definitely downed tools after achieving the goal of getting into top 6.

This season you can put 3 of our results down to bad luck or at least inconsistent refereeing.

Celtic - penalty denied

Rangers - Erskine sending off

Hearts - Their goal