After the split

Auld Jag

If the top 6 and bottom 6 teams stay as they are at the moment,we will have played only Dundee twice at Firhill .All other teams currently in the bottom 6 we have played twice away and only once at home.To me this shows how silly this split idea is.

• Like 1

Never been a fan of the split and what you say is one of the reasons why.  However it seems we are stuck with it.  If had to choose Motherwell at home please (with our awful record away there) and also Hamilton at Firhill (with their awful pitch and general miserable experience match day experience being the reason). 

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Never been a fan of the split and what you say is one of the reasons why.  However it seems we are stuck with it.  If had to choose Motherwell at home please (with our awful record away there) and also Hamilton at Firhill (with their awful pitch and general miserable experience match day experience being the reason). 

As well as this, we need St. Johnstone away.

Personally I favour a league of at least 16 clubs with no daft split. But I'll put that aside to point out a 14 club league with a split after 26 games would do away with the current system that inevitably throws up inequity.  Effectively in a 14 club league you play each club home and away. You then split into two groups of seven and play 12 further games (6 home, 6 away).  You still have the same amount of matches (38) but all this nonsense of one club having three away games to one home game against another club wouldn't happen. 

Anyway by applying any logic I'm just running alongside Auld Jag, who I'm fairly sure will also believe that those charged with running our game couldn't give a toss about the inequities of the status quo.  As long as Celtic and Sevco aren't exposed to such nonsense that's all that matters.

• Like 3

Wouldn't work splitting so early in the season, with 12 games to go it's very likely the mid-table area will be very tight. Would be unfair on a team to lose all hope of European football (or to escape the possibilities of a relagation battle), when they may only be a few points behind/above but with 12 games to go instead of 5.

The current split actually does its job in creating meaningful games at the end of the season. We all know why we have it, to have 4 OF games a season but over time I think it's actually shown that it works not too bad if the league is tight in 1 of 4 areas going in to the last 5 games (League winner, European place, play-off spot/automatic relegation).

48 minutes ago, 1 John Lambie said:

Wouldn't work splitting so early in the season, with 12 games to go it's very likely the mid-table area will be very tight. Would be unfair on a team to lose all hope of European football (or to escape the possibilities of a relagation battle), when they may only be a few points behind/above but with 12 games to go instead of 5.

The current split actually does its job in creating meaningful games at the end of the season. We all know why we have it, to have 4 OF games a season but over time I think it's actually shown that it works not too bad if the league is tight in 1 of 4 areas going in to the last 5 games (League winner, European place, play-off spot/automatic relegation).

How can you possibly argue that having a split where each club plays each other home and away with no unbalance is unfair?  Is the status quo the least bit fair? 

Celtic and Rangers are guaranteed to play each other home and away twice. Everyone else can go and fu<k themselves. The team finishing seventh will, most likely, end up with more points than the team finishing sixth. 'Meaningful' games at the end of an inequitable season. It's nonsense.

9 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Celtic and Rangers are guaranteed to play each other home and away twice. Everyone else can go and fu<k themselves. The team finishing seventh will, most likely, end up with more points than the team finishing sixth. 'Meaningful' games at the end of an inequitable season. It's nonsense.

I read recently Rangers have already played the rest of the current top 6 twice at home as well, similar to our situation. I think Killie already complained that they think it unfair if they've to return to Ibrox. As you say, you can guarantee Celtic won't