dun (d-day) away

elevenone

1 hour ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

[Doolan] Should be the first name on the teamsheet every time - don't give me no over-thought bollox about physicality, out balls or age .... next season's team should be getting built around him.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

Well, it's been slim pickings at Firhill this year, so it's nice to win something.

P.S. You seem to be a bit confused about the meaning of the word hysterical.

I’m more confused as to why a Thistle fan would want our top scorer to leave because he thinks our manager doesn’t deserve him. Genuinely bonkers statement to make. As much as we love him, Doolan goes through long spells of not being involved and not scoring. It really isn’t that difficult to see why he doesn’t start every week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Superb interview with Doolan on Jagzone.

Haven't heard that interview but if Dools has any ambitions to be a pundit for any Scottish sports media he didn't do himself any favours with his post match interview on Radio Scotland yesterday. He must have talked for 3-4 minutes never once using a cliche, never verging into the inane and unintelligible. On top of that he even had the temerity to use perfect grammar.  No place whatsoever for that sort of language on  the Scottish sports airwaves.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m more confused as to why a Thistle fan would want our top scorer to leave because he thinks our manager doesn’t deserve him. Genuinely bonkers statement to make. As much as we love him, Doolan goes through long spells of not being involved and not scoring. It really isn’t that difficult to see why he doesn’t start every week. 

My post was perhaps a little more poetic than I intended KA. The very last thing I want to see is Kris Doolan leaving the club, but I'm getting a bit fed up of witnessing the likes of Pogba, Azeez and Storey getting a half season or more to demonstrate that they're nowhere near as good as him. And, much as he's the consummate professional and all that, anyone who thinks sitting on the bench watching these guys' dazzling displays of mediocrity doesn't stick in Doolan's craw just a bit is, I would venture, failing to consider that Doolan is, like the rest of us, human - more patient and polite than the vast majority of us for sure, but human nonetheless. I absolutely acknowledge the manager's right to pick the team as he sees fit - I just think that, in this respect at least, he's making an arse of it.

41 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Doolan goes through long spells of not being involved and not scoring. It really isn’t that difficult to see why he doesn’t start every week. 

If we take into consideration how much game-time he gets, and the quality of service he gets during that game-time, Doolan's scoring record is excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I'm afraid for someone like myself who has watched Partick Thistle for a long time and who has watched strikers such as Coulston and Bone , Somner and Melrose ,  Joe Craig , Mo Johnston etc , it's an absolute travesty that Dools isn't the one of the first names on our team sheet as he absolutely belongs in the company I've just mentioned . The fact is the brand of football that Archie wants us to play is more percentage football , hitting balls down channels and having the physical presence and ariel threat of a Conor Salmon , Pogba, Azeez etc unfortunately that type of football picking up second balls of a target man needs goal scoring midfielders to get beyond or close to the centre forward and the way Archie sets up the team with 2 holding midfielders that is going to be an unlikely scenario .

Watching the game yesterday , lots of times there was 2 or 3 passes along the back line and then it was launched in the direction of Sammon , our best spells were when it was played through the midfield to Lawless who dovetailed well with Mcginn to create chances and obviously Lawless fed the ball through to Dools to do what he does best.

One of the main reasons it has been such a bad season is the style of football that Archie has dictated we should play because there is talent in the team Doolan , Lawless , Erskine etc but you've got to play a system that suits the players you've got.

Final point , where would Archie be without Doolans goals over the last 5 years ?

27 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I'm afraid for someone like myself who has watched Partick Thistle for a long time and who has watched strikers such as Coulston and Bone , Somner and Melrose ,  Joe Craig , Mo Johnston etc , it's an absolute travesty that Dools isn't the one of the first names on our team sheet as he absolutely belongs in the company I've just mentioned . The fact is the brand of football that Archie wants us to play is more percentage football , hitting balls down channels and having the physical presence and ariel threat of a Conor Salmon , Pogba, Azeez etc unfortunately that type of football picking up second balls of a target man needs goal scoring midfielders to get beyond or close to the centre forward and the way Archie sets up the team with 2 holding midfielders that is going to be an unlikely scenario .

Watching the game yesterday , lots of times there was 2 or 3 passes along the back line and then it was launched in the direction of Sammon , our best spells were when it was played through the midfield to Lawless who dovetailed well with Mcginn to create chances and obviously Lawless fed the ball through to Dools to do what he does best.

One of the main reasons it has been such a bad season is the style of football that Archie has dictated we should play because there is talent in the team Doolan , Lawless , Erskine etc but you've got to play a system that suits the players you've got.

Final point , where would Archie be without Doolans goals over the last 5 years ?

Archie gets equally criticised for playing tippy tappy football too. We have signed big physical strikers because you need an option like that in our league - just like you do in most leagues. Without having the stats to hand, Doolan has probably started most games this year - and that’s in a year when he’s actually had good competition in the form of an on form Sammon. 

As for your last question, it literally means nothing. Archie has Doolan. Archie constantly praises Doolan. Archie brought Doolan on yesterday and he scored (surely therefore validating his decision to bring him on when the game opened up?). Doolan knows the score so let’s move on. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

17 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Archie gets equally criticised for playing tippy tappy football too. We have signed big physical strikers because you need an option like that in our league - just like you do in most leagues. Without having the stats to hand, Doolan has probably started most games this year - and that’s in a year when he’s actually had good competition in the form of an on form Sammon. 

As for your last question, it literally means nothing. Archie has Doolan. Archie constantly praises Doolan. Archie brought Doolan on yesterday and he scored (surely therefore validating his decision to bring him on when the game opened up?). Doolan knows the score so dry your eyes. 

Doolan has only started 18 out of 38 games this season , definitely one of the reasons why we're the lowest scorers in the entire league and obviously the managers tactics and team selection have been a massive success this season , pity everyone wasn't praising the manager rather than Kris Doolan.

I think this season I'd have liked to see him play more, but not sure if fitness came into it. But generally throughout his thistle career I think we've seen the best of Kris Doolan when he's shared the burden with other strikers. He'll sometimes have lean spells, drop out and then come back with a burst of goals. I can absolutely see why he's not an automatic start for every game, for the sake of his own effectiveness, even though we've not had a better striker than him at the club for many years.

• Like 2

On the subject of Doolan and other front players there's one glaring difference this season from last. I wonder how significant it is and how much relevance it played re last  season's success in relation to this dismal season.  The difference being that Azeez played in every game last season. When he left and was ultimately replaced by Storey I thought we were replacing like for like re strength and pace with the added bonus that Storey would provide more composure, be bit more streetwise if you like.  Well I wasn't far wrong re the first two qualities but as for the third!

Miles Storey may have featured nearly as often as Azeez did but I believe the latter was far more effective. Ok Big Ade couldn't score to save himself but he did trouble defenders, could link up with other forwards and generally be a nuisance. In short Azeez helped take the weight off Dools and other attacking players while Storey has largely failed to do that. I wouldn't go so far as to say Azeez was greatly underrated but I do sense we've missed that nuisance factor this term                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I think this season I'd have liked to see him play more, but not sure if fitness came into it. But generally throughout his thistle career I think we've seen the best of Kris Doolan when he's shared the burden with other strikers. He'll sometimes have lean spells, drop out and then come back with a burst of goals. I can absolutely see why he's not an automatic start for every game, for the sake of his own effectiveness, even though we've not had a better striker than him at the club for many years.

Lack of game time and waiting on the bench seem to be occupational hazards for leading goal scorers. The only two ahead of Kris Doolan in the SPFL  scoring stakes Leigh Griffiths and Adam Rooney have suffered the same fate this season and I believe that both have come off the bench to score winners against us.

Firstly, well done for winning a game that had to be won.

Doolan, get a statue built now.

For the slim pickings we create its a miracle Doolan has scored what he has.

As for storey and sammon, we dont play to there strengths. Wen have we ever played a through ball or over the top? We play square balls across the hauf way line fir the cameras. The two have been played out wide for half the year. Im surprised doolan hasnt been shoehorned into the left back role as everyone else has been in there, even with penrice (off his motm against Celtic) fit.

Two big games left, it makes ye almost wonder if we did it deliberately the way its been advertised. Is winning a playoff better than getting horsed 5 scud at ht off Aberdeen in the top 6? Its a huge risk but fingers crossed it comes out in our favour

19 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Should be the first name on the teamsheet every time - don't give me no over-thought bollox about physicality, out balls or age.

Doolan was putting himself up (and scoring) against hard bruisers in the Juniors when he still a school boy, and he's in peak condition right here, right now.

Great way to attract a striker to the Club. Hi would you like to sign for Thistle? No, you'll be on the bench every week. 

Regards your other point. Hes not in peak condition. He's carrying a knee ligament injury and has delayed the operation til the end of the season. 

Sammon & Edwards were excellent coming off the bench first two games after the split. Reaction on here (maybe myself included) those two have warranted a start. But when given a start over the last three matches they've both been far less of an influence. Dools comes off the bench to score against Dundee so reaction is "see, he should've been on from the start". You can see the logic from both sides. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see Connor & Ryan start games  3-5 and I didn't imagine Doolan would be on the bench at Dens. We'll never get an argument resolved whether these decisions were correct. One thing tho' that is unarguable is that you want you're attacking subs to make an impact and they did just that to the tune of five points (two games drawing into wins, one losing into a draw).

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sammon & Edwards were excellent coming off the bench first two games after the split. Reaction on here (maybe myself included) those two have warranted a start. But when given a start over the last three matches they've both been far less of an influence. Dools comes off the bench to score against Dundee so reaction is "see, he should've been on from the start". You can see the logic from both sides. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see Connor & Ryan start games  3-5 and I didn't imagine Doolan would be on the bench at Dens. We'll never get an argument resolved whether these decisions were correct. One thing tho' that is unarguable is that you want you're attacking subs to make an impact and they did just that to the tune of five points (two games drawing into wins, one losing into a draw).

Archie the U-Boat Fleet Commander. Brings in the subs at just the right time.

• Haha 1

Okay, so the Dundee result means that we finished the season with a positive record (W8 D5 L7) against the other bottom five teams. Obviously it is well document that our record against the top teams has been pretty hopeless, hence the position we are in.

But this statistic, along with the fact that we only lost one game post-split, and the fact that we finished with an away win, must give us optimism for the play-off, right? Regardless of our problems this season, we've actually done okay against teams on this level (and the cup competitions in this regard, with wins over QoS, St Johnstone and St Mirren would also provide encouragement).

Positive mindset. If I can at least convince myself...

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

Okay, so the Dundee result means that we finished the season with a positive record (W8 D5 L7) against the other bottom five teams. Obviously it is well document that our record against the top teams has been pretty hopeless, hence the position we are in.

But this statistic, along with the fact that we only lost one game post-split, and the fact that we finished with an away win, must give us optimism for the play-off, right? Regardless of our problems this season, we've actually done okay against teams on this level (and the cup competitions in this regard, with wins over QoS, St Johnstone and St Mirren would also provide encouragement).

Positive mindset. If I can at least convince myself...

To support your point, by my calculation (which no doubt a statto can verify or otherwise) as regards post-split games that matter (ie when we were still in danger of  either automatic relegation or a play off place) over the past 5 years, our record is Played 13 Won 7 Drawn 3 Lost 3.

So when backs are really to the wall, Archie and his teams tend to deliver (that of course does not justify or excuse poorer form and results earlier in the season).

4 hours ago, potty trained said:

Great way to attract a striker to the Club. Hi would you like to sign for Thistle? No, you'll be on the bench every week. 

Regards your other point. Hes not in peak condition. He's carrying a knee ligament injury and has delayed the operation til the end of the season. 

doolan has said on at least three separate  occasions since the new year that his injury has completly cleared and that he is fully fit

2 hours ago, potty trained said:

Has he? Not seen that anywhere. 

on jagzone pt

after the dundee game archie said that he saw doolan more as an impact player, doolan disagreed said he was fit and ready to play and in fact was disappointed that he was not in the starting eleven

put it this way if you were the manager of an opposing team who would prefer to have warming the bench for the jags doolan sammon or storey