Caldwell

Jagsman

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

If I am wrong I will apologise . Hope I am wrong.

Bannigan may well see he owes his loyalty to Archibald. Any costs during his injury that Stuart has occurred have most likely come out the manager's player budget as opposed to additional funds set aside within the Club. Put another way if Archie hadn't wanted to keep Stuart the Club would've agreed to let him go. 

Jagtastic's post tho' is more to the point. If Bannigan was to leave us for Ayr I would be far more annoyed with the Club, Board & Manager for letting us get into such a state where a player, we presumably want to hold on to, even considers a move to Ayr United. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've avoided posting for a bit as I'd already made my views on Caldwell known. It does appear that the general opinion is now moving towards he's not the person to lead us out of trouble never mind forward.

As some posters have commented the January transfer window might now work against us rather than for us as we watch the better players such as Bannigan leave and we struggle to offload the poorer ones and attract any decent replacements.

So how do we change this and prevent another avoidable relegation?

3 minutes ago, laukat said:

I've avoided posting for a bit as I'd already made my views on Caldwell known. It does appear that the general opinion is now moving towards he's not the person to lead us out of trouble never mind forward.

As some posters have commented the January transfer window might now work against us rather than for us as we watch the better players such as Bannigan leave and we struggle to offload the poorer ones and attract any decent replacements.

Time to get rid , Caldwell is never going to work , two main reasons , I don’t believe the players are buying into his “philosophies “ and the supporters are certainly not buying into the nonsense and spin he’s created ( improvement, good week in training and all the other cliches he spouts at press conferences) for him to turn this round and for the supporters to believe in him will be a miracle . The Board should put their hands up and say we’ve got it wrong before it’s too late .

• Like 1

As bad as we were last season, I really had belief that in the new year things would pick up and we'd get out of the mess we were in. I thought there were worse teams in the league than us. Obviously many disagreed. Anyway, I guess I was wrong.

This year I don't have the same belief. I think we're lucky to be in the position we're in. Only reason we're still in touch, ironically, is that Archie got some points on the board early (and no, I'm not saying he should have stayed).

So, I just hope I'm wrong again.

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

St mirren ditched Stubbs. They are still bottom of the league. Knee jerk management rarely works. He's inherited a shit squad and yes I agree we have barely improved, but the reality is he will be given at least one window to try and get us out of this mess. 

I’m not so sure it rarely works is strictly true ,Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock when they were in trouble McIntyre and Dodds at Ross County , when they were rooted to the bottom of the league and bar the Ayr United result I would say Dundee Utd have improved under Robbie Neilson.

Most of the players that were kept like Bannigan , Elliott, Erskine , Doolan , Slater were good Premier League players , Penrice more than held his own with Livingston, I would argue that a good manager would get a lot more out of these players, they don’t become bad players overnight 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, laukat said:

Hmmm.....good question.

First off, you have to put yourself in the crazy mixed up minds of the people who gave Gary the job in the first instance. What do they see in him that nobody else does? Is it his record, two relegation in the past two years? Is it his ambition, aiming high and going for the Scotland job? What exactly is it, that they see, in this most wooden of character actors?

I think it will probably go along the lines off "two games undefeated" "four points out of six" "light at the end of the tunnel" etc etc.

I don't wish anyone any ill and everyone has to earn a crust. Nevertheless, I truly believe that the people running our club made the wrong call in hiring Gary Caldwell.

They should've sent for Jim Goodwin. He would have sorted us out.

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I’m not so sure it rarely works is strictly true ,Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock when they were in trouble McIntyre and Dodds at Ross County , when they were rooted to the bottom of the league and bar the Ayr United result I would say Dundee Utd have improved under Robbie Neilson.

Most of the players that were kept like Bannigan , Elliott, Erskine , Doolan , Slater were good Premier League players , Penrice more than held his own with Livingston, I would argue that a good manager would get a lot more out of these players, they don’t become bad players overnight 

The managers you quote did not replace a manager who had been in post for 8 games.....

With Mourinho now gone and a vacancy at Manchester United, maybe Caldwell's PowerPoint expertise will succeed again and we will be shot of him at no cost and possibly some compensation.  He will be boning up on the MU players as I write this and will have a complete dossier to back up his application.  If only.

4 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

With Mourinho now gone and a vacancy at Manchester United, maybe Caldwell's PowerPoint expertise will succeed again and we will be shot of him at no cost and possibly some compensation.  He will be boning up on the MU players as I write this and will have a complete dossier to back up his application.  If only.

I was just thinking something similar. With all the unrest on the Man United Training pitch surely he's the man they need to solve that problem and at least they too can have a 'good week' in training? I'm sure Pogba, Sanchez etc will appreciate being taken hostage by the British Army and that the Man United fans will accept that having a philopsy is more important than winning

Interesting chat with some Celtic supporters about GC last night. I probably deserved this after I had pointed out that they've been telling me for the last three years 'Rangers will be bankrupt in six weeks' - but they're now top of the league! But their reaction was along the lines of 'how did you end up with that fud as a manager?'!

When I asked wasn't GC a big hero at Parkhead, they nearly fell off their chairs laughing.

One of them said the GC signature pass was a punt up the park - grossly overhit, followed by a wave of the hand to say 'sorry' (cf with 'play it out from the back). Can't remember GC that well as a player, so cant comment.

Came away even more worried, not sure if they were taking the p1ss in revenge for me pointing that ('bankrupt') Sevco (as they call it) was above them in the league. One of them actually said you should have stuck with Archie. Flipping heck.

One of the papers once described GC as 'diplomatic footballer of the year '. He must have been good with power point/media relations even then.

Just now, Semi Nurainen said:

Interesting chat with some Celtic supporters about GC last night. I probably deserved this after I had pointed out that they've been telling me for the last three years 'Rangers will be bankrupt in six weeks' - but they're now top of the league! But their reaction was along the lines of 'how did you end up with that fud as a manager?'!

When I asked wasn't GC a big hero at Parkhead, they nearly fell off their chairs laughing.

One of them said the GC signature pass was a punt up the park - grossly overhit, followed by a wave of the hand to say 'sorry' (cf with 'play it out from the back). Can't remember GC that well as a player, so cant comment.

Came away even more worried, not sure if they were taking the p1ss in revenge for me pointing that ('bankrupt') Sevco (as they call it) was above them in the league. One of them actually said you should have stuck with Archie. Flipping heck.

One of the papers once described GC as 'diplomatic footballer of the year '. He must have been good with power point/media relations even then.

Yep. Feeling this. My three besties are also ling time season ticket holders at porkheed. They are very liberal considered people and this post mirrors their assessment. Cladwell was brought in to steady their defence. He was a stopper nothing more. None if them rated him.

I do remember him though Semi but then i also remember george best at hibs!!!

That siad there's far more concerning signs with this guy than comments from cellik fans.

In the interests of parity i've got four rangers fans besties too, tho i might need to chuck one to even it up now that i'm thinking about it. Again like the cellik fans are all decent human beings and we are all great mates.........until OF day.....areseh@les to a man on those game days

I don’t think Caldwell’s ability as a player is particularly relevant, and I also don’t really think Celtic fans’ opinion of him as a player are relevant.

What is relevant is his record of managerial failure, which he appears to have carried on to us. Allied with his parallel universe analysis of games and that’s far more troubling. 

• Like 1

The overwhelming implication was that he is/was a fud as a manager, hence the comment about being better off with Archie..

The bit about his playing career was really to point up the irony of him as a hoofer trying to get them play the ball out from the back.

Otherwise I think we're all agreed about his (apparently continuing) record of managerial failure.

To be fair I don't remember him as a hoofer. I remember a guy of reasonable talent, but who had more belief in his abilities than everyone else. A tendency to try to play it out, hence why he got caught out a lot, and was known as a bit of a bomb scare.

I think he seems pretty consistent in his approach.

17 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Hmmm.....good question.

First off, you have to put yourself in the crazy mixed up minds of the people who gave Gary the job in the first instance. What do they see in him that nobody else does? Is it his record, two relegation in the past two years? Is it his ambition, aiming high and going for the Scotland job? What exactly is it, that they see, in this most wooden of character actors?

I think it will probably go along the lines off "two games undefeated" "four points out of six" "light at the end of the tunnel" etc etc.

I don't wish anyone any ill and everyone has to earn a crust. Nevertheless, I truly believe that the people running our club made the wrong call in hiring Gary Caldwell.

They should've sent for Jim Goodwin. He would have sorted us out.

“Two relegations in the last 2 years” - this isn’t true.

Jim Goodwin is inexperienced. I’m not convinced he would have been the right fit. He could have been appointed, played ultra-defensive, had the same record as Caldwell to date, and the board would have been pilloried as well.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

The overwhelming implication was that he is/was a fud as a manager, hence the comment about being better off with Archie..

The bit about his playing career was really to point up the irony of him as a hoofer trying to get them play the ball out from the back.

Otherwise I think we're all agreed about his (apparently continuing) record of managerial failure.

His record at Chesterfield was awful. But winning League 1 with Wigan and League 1 Manager of the Year would have been an impressive CV for a young manager applying for the Scottish second-tier Thistle job. I don’t think we should kid ourselves that there was a host of other candidates with outstanding CVs.

Also, I don’t think anyone has actually stated that Caldwell has ever used Microsoft Powerpoint at any point, but here we all are talking about it (was also mentioned on Off the Ball recently as well).

Celtic fans don’t seem to like him. Celtic fans however don’t know much about Thistle, or football in general in fact, or have much self-awareness. They just like people who are ‘Sellick-minded’, which isn’t a diverse group.

I for one would be absolutely delighted for Gary Caldwell to be a resounding success as Thistle manager.

Edited by milhouse
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, milhouse said:

His record at Chesterfield was awful. But winning League 1 with Wigan and League 1 Manager of the Year would have been an impressive CV for a young manager applying for the Scottish second-tier Thistle job. I don’t think we should kid ourselves that there was a host of other candidates with outstanding CVs.

Also, I don’t think anyone has actually stated that Caldwell has ever used Microsoft Powerpoint at any point, but here we all are talking about it (was also mentioned on Off the Ball recently as well).

Celtic fans don’t seem to like him. Celtic fans however don’t know much about Thistle, or football in general in fact, or have much self-awareness. They just like people who are ‘Sellick-minded’, which isn’t a diverse group.

I for one would be absolutely delighted for Gary Caldwell to be a resounding success as Thistle manager.

We would all be delighted if Caldwell was a success as Thistle manager. His start though suggests otherwise. He has now managed Thistle in 8  games. The same as Archibald in this league before he was sacked. Archibald got 9 points and Caldwell 5 points. Considering  Caldwell was hired to get us promotion a very poor start. Our only hope is we can do a lot of good business both in and out in the January window.

52 minutes ago, milhouse said:

“Two relegations in the last 2 years” - this isn’t true.

Jim Goodwin is inexperienced. I’m not convinced he would have been the right fit. He could have been appointed, played ultra-defensive, had the same record as Caldwell to date, and the board would have been pilloried as well.

he has been involved as a manager in part or all of 5 seasons before he joined us - in 4 of those seasons the club he managed for part or all of the season was relegated.

• Thanks 1