Caldwell

Jagsman

27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s probably a rolling 2 year deal

Bearing in mind that Gary Caldwell was unemployed with his managerial career in tatters, the club were negotiating from a position of real strength. Surely there must have been a few get out clauses put in the contract?

Edited by AndyMac

9 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Bearing in mind that Gary Caldwell was unemployed with his managerial career in tatters, the club were negotiating from a position of real strength. Surely there must have been a few get out clauses put in the contract?

Also we have a lawyer as CEO who has bern a player manager and director of the youth academy so he will know contracts inside out 

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Agree. If our board have given Caldwell a 2 year contract with no way Thistle can get rid off him, without it costing us a fortune, it would be complete incompetence by the board.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. If our board have given Caldwell a 2 year contract with no way Thistle can get rid off him, without it costing us a fortune, it would be complete incompetence by the board.

Ok lets assume that there is no get out clause - what next ? 

Do we stick with him no matter the results ?

And where does that leave the Board ?  

It should leave them personally out of pocket.  If he is fired  (and I hope he has a successful transfer window and succeeds) they should shoulder the responsibility and cost.  The removal cost should not reduce the playing budget nor the finances to hire a replacement. 

27 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

It should leave them personally out of pocket.  If he is fired  (and I hope he has a successful transfer window and succeeds) they should shoulder the responsibility and cost.  The removal cost should not reduce the playing budget nor the finances to hire a replacement. 

None of the board are shareholders, why would it leave them personally out of pocket

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

None of the board are shareholders, why would it leave them personally out of pocket

And this, to me, is one of the strangest things about our club at the moment. The directors aren’t shareholders (or at least major shareholders) and yet the major shareholder (the fans’ trust) isn’t on the board.  

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this is so? 

Just now, KemoAvdiu said:

And this, to me, is one of the strangest things about our club at the moment. The directors aren’t shareholders (or at least major shareholders) and yet the major shareholder (the fans’ trust) isn’t on the board.  

A closed shop of people who think they know better than anyone else? Partick Thistle's history is littered with incompetent boards. We now have another one who are helping taking our club to the third tier and wilderness.

43 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Not shareholders and largely people with no past affiliation with the club. It’s perplexing. 

And the memo and articles suggest somehow our shareholder group have ceded power to this board. 

The long term aim for every football club, but certainly ours, should be skills based elections onto the board which is the truest way to achieve supporter representation. 

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jaf said:

Not shareholders and largely people with no past affiliation with the club. It’s perplexing. 

And the memo and articles suggest somehow our shareholder group have ceded power to this board. 

The long term aim for every football club, but certainly ours, should be skills based elections onto the board which is the truest way to achieve supporter representation. 

Are there any particular skills required to be on a football clubs board as opposed to any other business ?

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Are there any particular skills required to be on a football clubs board as opposed to any other business ?

By skills based, I did not mean football specific. I meant to have the specific skill sets any board should have all covered. 

Personally, I think we should view the appointment of a club Chairman and Chief exec in a similar way to recruiting any employee. There needs to be a formal process to sift the good candidates from the bad. Its not clear to me what selection process there was when Jacqui Low was appointed or any previous chairman. Who else was interviewed when Gerry go the chief exec's job?

Part of the process should be to go and look around for someone with experience of being chairman or chief exec who either see Thistle as a step up or because of past association would want to do the position.  Other clubs have in recent years headhunted their Chairman and their chief exec from across industry.

Our method of appointment until now on chairmen tends to be whichever director who's on the board at the time of a vacancy and who fancies giving it a go. For chief execs it tends to be ex-players with an interest in administration. With such a random selection process our results will be random.

To me its another indicator that we are still someway away from being a properly professional organisation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaf said:

By skills based, I did not mean football specific. I meant to have the specific skill sets any board should have all covered. 

It would certainly be perplexing if none of the board have shares, although it is normal for the main shareholders to appoint their representative to the board. I am pretty sure that if you have a certain % of the shares you are entitled to be represented.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Personally, I think we should view the appointment of a club Chairman and Chief exec in a similar way to recruiting any employee. There needs to be a formal process to sift the good candidates from the bad. Its not clear to me what selection process there was when Jacqui Low was appointed or any previous chairman. Who else was interviewed when Gerry go the chief exec's job?

Part of the process should be to go and look around for someone with experience of being chairman or chief exec who either see Thistle as a step up or because of past association would want to do the position.  Other clubs have in recent years headhunted their Chairman and their chief exec from across industry.

Our method of appointment until now on chairmen tends to be whichever director who's on the board at the time of a vacancy and who fancies giving it a go. For chief execs it tends to be ex-players with an interest in administration. With such a random selection process our results will be random.

To me its another indicator that we are still someway away from being a properly professional organisation.

Who would carry out those interviews ?

In addition to the lack of shareholdings I think I’m right in saying only two of the board (judging from their profiles on the club website) have any prior connection to Thistle - Alan Rough and Brian Donald (happy to be corrected if I’ve missed something on the website or I’m just wrong, which is very possible!).

A prior connection absolutely isn’t and shouldn’t be an essential criteria of being on the board, but if you don’t have a shareholding and you aren’t a Thistle fan then why are you on the board if not to boost your own profile and CV? I find that worrying. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Who would carry out those interviews ? 

I presume you mean for the chairman? If so there are at least couple of options

1. The board can comission a recruitment company to run the process from candidate identification to recommended appointments

2. The board could select a recruitment panel from within its own members and whoever it feels might be best to advise them to conduct the process.

Option 1 is usually the best as the recruitment company has more market experience and can headhunt canidates in employment

For the chief exec, the board could do the above or additionally give responsibility to the chairman to organise and select.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I presume you mean for the chairman? If so there are at least couple of options

1. The board can comission a recruitment company to run the process from candidate identification to recommended appointments

2. The board could select a recruitment panel from within its own members and whoever it feels might be best to advise them to conduct the process.

Option 1 is usually the best as the recruitment company has more market experience and can headhunt canidates in employment

For the chief exec, the board could do the above or additionally give responsibility to the chairman to organise and select.

The person chairing the panel should ideally be the recruiting manager (the one who the eventual post-holder is managed by). 

Depending on whether GC reports to Chief Exec or Chair, it would have been Jacqui or Gerry.

Anyone who was at Saturdays game would have seen that thistle are more competitive than they have been all season - County are top of the division and this game could so easily have been a draw

Soft ( 'definitely wasn't a' ) penalty and a breakaway goal after  Storey went down too easily in the centre circle ( looking for a free kick) were the two low points and despite a decent performance Jags came away with nothing

Caldwell has inherited Archie's team and needs to be given a chance - there is so much anti Caldwell sentiment in this forum - I wonder if he was an ex-rangers player if he  would receive the same premature criticism.

Hmmm let me think.......