Caldwell

Jagsman

1 minute ago, jaggot said:

Anyone who was at Saturdays game would have seen that thistle are more competitive than they have been all season - County are top of the division and this game could so easily have been a draw

Soft ( 'definitely wasn't a' ) penalty and a breakaway goal after  Storey went down too easily in the centre circle ( looking for a free kick) were the two low points and despite a decent performance Jags came away with nothing

Caldwell has inherited Archie's team and needs to be given a chance - there is so much anti Caldwell sentiment in this forum - I wonder if he was an ex-rangers player if he  would receive the same premature criticism.

Hmmm let me think.......

Sorry, what? Are you genuinely suggesting Thistle fans are pro-Rangers? 

There is “anti Caldwell sentiment” because we have lost most of our games under him, are in serious danger of relegation, and he talks absolute mince.

All the best though, Gary. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jaggot said:

Anyone who was at Saturdays game would have seen that thistle are more competitive than they have been all season - County are top of the division and this game could so easily have been a draw

Soft ( 'definitely wasn't a' ) penalty and a breakaway goal after  Storey went down too easily in the centre circle ( looking for a free kick) were the two low points and despite a decent performance Jags came away with nothing

Caldwell has inherited Archie's team and needs to be given a chance - there is so much anti Caldwell sentiment in this forum - I wonder if he was an ex-rangers player if he  would receive the same premature criticism.

Hmmm let me think.......

Just in time for the stupidest comment in 2018 competition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jaggot said:

Hmmm let me think.......

As Kemo says, that’s a nonsense implication.

His record so far is poor, we don’t want our Club to suffer another relegation. It’s really that simple.

OF issues do not cross the door of Firhill.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaggot said:

Hmmm let me think.......

Incredibly bizarre post at many levels.

Caldwell gets stick on here because of results and lack of any sign that he can improve things. No other reason.

IF he does improve things he will get everybody's support 

To suggest that everybody would be happy right now if he was ex Rangers is frankly absurd and possibly the result of too much xmas sherry!

33 minutes ago, jaggot said:

We had no shots on target - how were we competitive? 

Nonsense post.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I presume you mean for the chairman? If so there are at least couple of options

1. The board can comission a recruitment company to run the process from candidate identification to recommended appointments

2. The board could select a recruitment panel from within its own members and whoever it feels might be best to advise them to conduct the process.

Option 1 is usually the best as the recruitment company has more market experience and can headhunt canidates in employment

For the chief exec, the board could do the above or additionally give responsibility to the chairman to organise and select.

I was wondering about the selection process for board members. Since some folk have been moaning about the quality of board, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to let them run the process. My own view is that the shareholders should appoint the board as it is their investment that the board are supposed to manage.

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I was wondering about the selection process for board members. Since some folk have been moaning about the quality of board, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to let them run the process. My own view is that the shareholders should appoint the board as it is their investment that the board are supposed to manage.

I don't know enough about the shareholdings of the respective directors to comment on if thats viable or not. However from a governance perspective it would be imperative to the shareholders outwith the directors that any major decisions made by the directors on their behalf have a process that can withstand questioning.

There may well have been a thorough process involved in selecting the chairman and chief exec but from what I remember in the press I don't remember an open interview or selection process when Jacqui was appointed and whilst I think the Chief Exec's post was advertised we never heard of anyone other than Gerry being interviewed. Thats not meant to imply that Jacui and Gerry are not good or capable of doing great things it just means that the club when appointing them may not have had any rational to believe that they were the best option.

The process for the appointment of Caldwell from what was reported has some questions against it (who did the shortlisting, how many interviews were there, what were the candidates asked to present on?) however the Chairman and Chief Exec posts are more fundamental to the running of the club so its more important that these are the best people we can get and that they know how to introduce process that prevents mistakes from being repeated otherwise mistakes will seep through into everything the club does. Nowadays players are rarely at a club for more than 2/3 seasons, managers about the same so Chief Exec and Chairman become the key to understanding a clubs fortunes over a 5-10 year period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaggot said:

Hmmm let me think.......

Ridiculous post. OF of no interest at all to genuine Thistle fans.

57 minutes ago, jaggot said:

Hmmm let me think.......

You obviously don't think.

2 hours ago, jaggot said:

Hmmm let me think.......

I don't care who our manager has played for I want him to be success as long as he is at Firhill. Just to explain that to you and Mr Caldwell. Success means winning football matches, this is when your team scores more goals than the opposition. Not when you get more corners or have more possession. 1 win out of 9 is not success. Also Archie managed to get more points with this squad than Caldwell has. Chesterfield fans also don't like him, do they only like ex Rangers as well. As others have already said stupidest post of this year and many other years as well.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, AndyMac said:

Will Gary Caldwell get sacked if our poor run of results continues?

Who knows! It was a brave decision by the board to give him the gig in the first place, they must have seen something in him they liked.

It's a difficult question to answer; when you wouldn't of personally considered hiring him in the first place. Next week is a big game, if we win or draw that will deemed a very good result. If we lose and lose badly, the pressure will really start to crank up on both the manager and the board.

There's a few different camps in the support, including;

"We should never have got rid of Archie" - This camp is pretty silent at the moment so the numbers are probably underestimated. Some of them currently very subdued and in deep shock, some are meekly going along with the programme, others already have the knives out for Caldwell and the Board of Directors. Caldwell will be doing well to win over this group of supporters.

"Thanks Archie for leaving us in such a mess" - This camp is the cry baby element of our support and need to recognise the facts. Alan Archibald is no the longer the manager, he didn't "leave us", he was sacked. Furthermore, before his dismissal he managed to win 3 games out of 7 this season, with the same squad of players that Caldwell has led to 4 straight defeats.  This group of supporters is mainly supportive of Caldwell at the moment. Caldwell needs to keep this group of supporters onside as they have the potential to make his life a living hell.

"Lets's give it till after the January transfer window and see how things go" - This camp is the most pragmatic and logical grouping, they may or may not be supportive of Gary Caldwell, but for numerous reasons including, stability, giving people a fair crack of the whip and for the good of the club, will go along with the status quo for the time being. If Caldwell keeps this camp onboard and happy his job will be safe enough. Lose this group of supporters and he's in deep trouble.

"Why have we hired him, his record is terrible?" - This camp is generally very sceptical of both Gary Caldwell and the Board of Directors for giving him the job in the first instance. This group is currently small in numbers. If results improve they will have been proved wrong, if results are mixed over the longer term, Caldwell will have run his course and the board will pick a replacement. If however, the results continue to slide this group is the most likely to challenge the competence of the people at the very top of the club, The Chairman, The Chief Executive etc.

There's a lot riding on this season. If Caldwell doesn't get it sorted out pretty dam sharpish, he will have led 3 clubs, to 3 relegation's in 3 years!

Gary Caldwell has certainly left a lasting impression on the Chesterfield Town supporters. They reckon he's a Jonah.

I suppose we will just have to keep our fingers crossed, hope for the best and see what happens.

The "cry babies" are turning on Caldwell.

When you make a mistake you need to admit it and then correct it. I made a mistake in believing that Caldwell's appointment was the right one but it is now clear that he needs to go. It is up to the Board to take the corrective action and I hope they do so without undue delay.

On a more personal level AndyMac did warn me that this was a likely outcome and I did doubt him so you were right sir and I was wrong.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

When you make a mistake you need to admit it and then correct it. I made a mistake in believing that Caldwell's appointment was the right one but it is now clear that he needs to go. It is up to the Board to take the corrective action and I hope they do so without undue delay.

On a more personal level AndyMac did warn me that this was a likely outcome and I did doubt him so you were right sir and I was wrong.

Thank you very much Fawlty Towers, that means a lot to me coming from someone like yourself. Nevertheless, I wish it was the other way round and that I was wrong.

The reason I was so pissed off about Gary Caldwell getting the job, is because I believe that Jim Goodwin is the man for the Job.

Gary Caldwell doesn't seem to carry luck. I was at the game today, didn't think we were that bad. We lack something though, something you just can't define and until we get that certain something, that illusive special brew, we're never going to fulfill our potential to reach our destiny.

Anyway; "Carborundum illegitimi perpetum" as they say.

50 minutes ago, jaggy said:

You’re right AndyMac, Caldwell has no luck. Individual mistakes (howlers) by players and referees every week seem to affect us. It reminds me of the old saying ‘if you can’t be good be lucky’, Caldwell appears to be neither.

Very true Jaggy,  good luck and Gary Caldwell don't keep close company with one another.

1 hour ago, AndyMac said:

Thank you very much Fawlty Towers, that means a lot to me coming from someone like yourself. Nevertheless, I wish it was the other way round and that I was wrong.

The reason I was so pissed off about Gary Caldwell getting the job, is because I believe that Jim Goodwin is the man for the Job.

Gary Caldwell doesn't seem to carry luck. I was at the game today, didn't think we were that bad. We lack something though, something you just can't define and until we get that certain something, that illusive special brew, we're never going to fulfill our potential to reach our destiny.

Anyway; "Carborundum illegitimi perpetum" as they say.

Think that certain something could be 2 Centre halves , a good goalkeeper and maybe a physical Centre forward.

Just a hunch 

We need more than that. We have nothing going forward - no creativity in midfield at all and nobody getting forward to support the front players. How many players did we have in the box today when we did get the ball up the flanks? No more than 2 and usually only 1.

Playing defensively at home against Morton is inexcusable.

1 hour ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell doesn't seem to carry luck. I was at the game today, didn't think we were that bad. We lack something though, something you just can't define

It’s called a defence... from the guy with over 50 international caps as a defender, the irony eh...

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

I doubt Goodwin even applied for the post. He's happy with being part time and will only leave Alloa for a better paying full time job than we can offer.