Caldwell

Jagsman

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell must realise he is in the last chance saloon, as if he fails with us I cant see him getting a football managers job at a decent level anywhere else. If we can get out of the relegation zone and end up near mid table. That would prove his January signings had been good and got us out of trouble. So that scenario would as you put it get me 'onside' and he would deserve another season to see what he could do. If we end up relegated or even in 8th I think he should go. I will be in the JLstand on Saturday and hope we can see 3 points staying at Firhill. If we can do that, it might show that we are turning the corner, after what has been  a truly miserable  season.  

Not sure about another season either. We'd need to see an end to the season similer to ICT last seaaon which kept john robertson in a job. If we go down he'll have to go, i can't imagine even this board sticking with him.

His failure to improve what he inherited should in itself indicate he is struggling. Clearly, since the board have allowed him ro be signing players they still rate what he is doing.  I guess we just need to bunker down, fingers crossed and hope for improvement in results.

Laukat makes a great comparisson with mckinnons appointment but, i wouldn't even swap caldwell for that man.

52 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

We need a BIG win to inject some confidence into the team.Don’t really want to hear how “unlucky” we were or that we “dominated” the game but still couldn’t win.Caldwellshould be banned from using these words in the after match interviews.Just leave it at “we didn’t play well enough to win” and get on with it.We’re gonna start feeling sorry for ourselves and that would be fatal.

Agree with everything here tho' in fact we did play well enough to win, but that was hardly down to bad luck. We've dominated many a 45 minutes of football over the past 18 months (as we did on Saturday). Far too often we've had either just one goal or no goal at all to show for that domination. Long long gone is the time for a manager to say we were "unlucky". A draw was probably the right result in the end as both teams failed to capitalise on the 45 mins when they were bossing the game. So were both teams unlucky?

The result in isolation was more than just acceptable. A team could be top of the league and still see a draw at Tannadice in a good light. If Caldwell wants to put a positive spin on the game he could've said he sees things as a work in progress not far off fruition. Not say "unlucky". There's no luck involved in continuously not scoring enough goals and it certainly isn't luck losing a fitness battle in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

I think we looked good in the first half, but equally Dundee United were awful. Our shape worked and seemed to confuse them. I thought it was our best 45 minutes of football for a long long time.

But when you look at this table regarding the last ten matches, you see luck is not an excuse. Luck in itself does not lead to this.........

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=11

Bottom of the last 10 matches form table - 5 points behind nearest team

Bottom of the last 6 matches form table

Bottom of the last 6 away matches form table

Second bottom of the last 6 home matches form table - on goal difference

This is the fact based reality, and has little to do with luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Some on here seem to be arguing against the facts. When Archie was sacked we were 5 points ahead of Alloa, 6 points ahead of Falkirk and 2 points of the play-off spots. 

Caldwell has made us worse - you can't blame Archie for a downturn in form after he left! lol 

The legitimate questions are ....

1 would the slide under Archie have gotten worse if he had stayed ? We will never know

2 do you think someone else would have gotten better results with the same squad ? Maybe but I’m not sure a whole lot better 

3 do you think the squad without changes was good enough ? IMO no

so I think giving Caldwell this window where we will bring 5-8 new players is sensible and there were encouraging aspects on Saturday but if we don’t climb the league he will need to go ....we cant hang on again like we did with Archie 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:20 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I fear that the Caldwell fan club (unbelievably, there does appear to be such an unofficial entity on here) will meekly accept another single win and a couple of draws out of the next 11, and move on from "he inherited the dross from Archie," "his new players need time to bed in,"  "performances look better, if only team X hadn't won at Y and team B hadn't got a draw at A," to "now that it's his own squad, he should be given the target of getting us promotion back up to the Championship next season." 

I wouldn't say I am a member of this fan club you speak of Jaggernaut. However, if I need to be labelled, stick me under the "guy deserves a chance with his own players" section.

Everybody knows that Caldwell has made mistakes - every manager does. Some of his decisions have been more than questionable and he has unsuccessfully experimented with different formations and personnel.  I stated before that he hadn't been able to bring in any of his own players and didn't have a pre-season with the team either. This can still be used in his defence but, given that he has been allowed to get a few signings in already (with a few more to follow), not for much longer. 

If things don't improve after the January window closes, perhaps I can sign up to the "Caldwell must go" club. If indeed there is any space left.

18 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell must realise he is in the last chance saloon, as if he fails with us I cant see him getting a football managers job at a decent level anywhere else. If we can get out of the relegation zone and end up near mid table. That would prove his January signings had been good and got us out of trouble. So that scenario would as you put it get me 'onside' and he would deserve another season to see what he could do. If we end up relegated or even in 8th I think he should go. I will be in the JLstand on Saturday and hope we can see 3 points staying at Firhill. If we can do that, it might show that we are turning the corner, after what has been  a truly miserable  season.  

Agree will all of that.

I too will be there on Saturday hoping for a Jags win.

Been told there has been a bust up between Erskine and Caldwell at training today   after he told Squiddy he was free to find another Club .

The arrogance of Caldwell has no limits , surely you want guys like Erskine and Doolan on your side as an example to the young players .

Players like Erskine, Doolan , Elliott, Bannigan who have spent a long time at the Club surely deserve a little bit of respect, Caldwell is chipping away at the fabric of the Club which is a nonsense for someone who has been there 3 months.

Commonsense would tell you don’t want a split dressing room , think it’s a huge mistake as Chris Erskine is one player who genuinely cares about Partick Thistle and the way things are going.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Been told there has been a bust up between Erskine and Caldwell at training today   after he told Squiddy he was free to find another Club .

The arrogance of Caldwell has no limits , surely you want guys like Erskine and Doolan on your side as an example to the young players .

Players like Erskine, Doolan , Elliott, Bannigan who have spent a long time at the Club surely deserve a little bit of respect, Caldwell is chipping away at the fabric of the Club which is a nonsense for someone who has been there 3 months.

Commonsense would tell you don’t want a split dressing room , think it’s a huge mistake as Chris Erskine is one player who genuinely cares about Partick Thistle and the way things are going.

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Didn't know which one to like. So I like both. Although I don't like what's happening with Erskine.

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell will think its been a good week in training. Its obvious he doesn't want Erskine at the club.

Caldwell is trying to move players on and is obviously struggling with Brice , Mtumbo , Coulibaye, Aaron Lennox  who are all picking up wages and are contracted to May 2019 , so it looks as if he’s trying to move Chris Erskine on to free up a wage . On the counter to that we give Gary Harkins an 18 month contract who at the very most having watched him on Saturday we’ll get a hour out of him at best or as an impact sub , Harkins was a talented player but his best days are behind him , so no idea why you would give him an 18 month deal on that basis 

Bewildered at what’s happening to my Club

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Caldwell is trying to move players on and is obviously struggling with Brice , Mtumbo , Coulibaye, Aaron Lennox  who are all picking up wages and are contracted to May 2019 , so it looks as if he’s trying to move Chris Erskine on to free up a wage . On the counter to that we give Gary Harkins an 18 month contract who at the very most having watched him on Saturday we’ll get a hour out of him at best or as an impact sub , Harkins was a talented player but his best days are behind him , so no idea why you would give him an 18 month deal on that basis 

Utterly bewildering. Aside from the fact that Erskine still has a lot to offer in the pitch, to treat a legend like him in this way is a disgrace.

Guys like Erskine will be remembered at the club long after charlatans like Caldwell have been forgotten.

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Utterly bewildering. Aside from the fact that Erskine still has a lot to offer in the pitch, to treat a legend like him in this way is a disgrace.

Guys like Erskine will be remembered at the club long before charlatans like Caldwell have been forgotten.

Caldwell doesn't seem to realise that he hasn't won many of the fans over. This sort of thing will not help him. Wont help in the dressing room either.

• Like 2

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell will think its been a good week in training. Its obvious he doesn't want Erskine at the club.

Not sure how to take this. Yes i don't want to see squiddy go and there is/are goodways to tell a player to move on. He's the bossman, it's his ball. He's entitled to get rid of whomever he wants. Doesn't mean i agree with this decision tho. If indeed it is factually correct. I'd hoped squiddy and dools would be part of a long term future coaching setup but again, it's caldwells ball.

I've not hidden from the fact i din't think caldwell is the guy for us. This is not the ptfc i know and love. I hate what caldwell/low/britton are doing to our club, the direction they are taking us in. BUT, it's caldwells right while he is manager to do these things. I just want this season to be over. I want caldwell gone. I want the board to change the direction they are taking the club. By that i mean stop , for the love of whatever God you believe in, talking pish. Stop the corporate p1sh talk. Get a fooking grip on reality. Accept we are in the sh1te and tell that dumpling exactly what you want of him in the next 4 league games. They seem content to just let us drift alongm chuck the most committed guy we have c'mon tae f@ck. This guy is a joke and is making our club look like @rseh0les. 

FACT - we are worse off than when we were led by archiebald. Have this board learned nothing from those 18 months and what the reward for indecision is.......

So, i do know how to take this actually. Caldwell. You are a complete c0ck. Get tae f@ck

Edited by Guest

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell doesn't seem to realise that he hasn't won many of the fans over. This sort of thing will not help him. Wont help in the dressing room either.

Ran out of likes.

So erskine and Caldwell had a bust up. Hardly news of the century and I always thought these things were meant to be kept in the dressing room....unless of course you want to undermine the manager. For the record I'm an Erskine fan but the team comes first. 

7 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Not sure how to take this. Yes i don't want to see squuddy go and there is/are goodways to tell a player to move on. He's the bossman, it's his ball. He's intitled to get rid of whomever he wants. Doesn't mean i agree with this decision tho. If indeed it is factually cirrect. I'd hoped squddy and dools would be part of a long term future coaching setup but again, it's caldwells ball.

I've not hidden from the fact i din't think caldwell is the guy for us. This is not the ptfc i know and love. I hate what caldwell/low/britton are doing to our club, the direction they are taking us in. BUT, it's caldwells right while he is manager to do these things. I just want this season to be over. I want caldwell gone. I want the board to change the direction they are taking the club. By that i mean stop , for the love of whatever God you believe in, talking pish. Stop the corporate p1sh talk. Get a fooking grip on reality. Accept we are in the sh1te and tell that dumpling exactly what you want of him in the next 4 league games. They seem content to just let us drift alongm chuck the most committed guy we have c'mon tae f@ck. This guy is a joke and is making our club look like @rseh0les. 

FACT - we are worse off than when we were led by archiebald. Have this board learned nothing from those 18 months and what the reward for indecision is.......

You’re right , Caldwell has the right to do what he sees fit but at this moment despite us playing well for an hour on Saturday , he’s taken us on a journey to the very bottom of the second tier of Scottish football, we got rid of players who didn’t care about PTFC last year like Dumbaye , Osman , Booth and Barton quite rightly , this year Erskine hasn’t had much of a look in , think he’s only started 2 games under Caldwell yet persevered with the usual suspects, Storey, Quitongo etc 

He’s played Doolan in midfield, played young Aiden Fitzpatrick on the left hand side of midfield which is really beyond belief if you know what type of player Aiden is , whilst you’ve got an experienced guy like Erskine sitting on the bench.

In my opinion, in the position we’re in you want players who’ll burst a gut for you and care about the Club.

I’ve no idea where we’re going with this 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

As you weren’t there so you do t know what was said and how and by whom......maybe it was the arrogance of erskine demanding to start every week ? And if Caldwell did say he should find another club how is that arrogant ? 

I agree Erskine cares about the club but there is a debate on his playing contribution over the last 18 months 

39 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

you know all this as fact ? Or is it your speculation ?