Caldwell

Jagsman

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

A rare moment of clarity on this matter. The truth is that we will never know the circumstances. As jaf has said, we will all make a judgement anyway. That judgement will be heavily swayed by our feelings about the individuals under discussion. Very few things in the world are black and white*.

*zebras are one

And badgers

While I like Erskine as a player, he doesnt fit in with the formation Caldwell wants to play. According to the rumours, he told Erskine that he can be an impact player off the bench or if that doesn't suit, he can find a team that will give him regularly 1st team football. I think that is a fair way to treat someone who has been a good servant to the team over the seasons. 

2 minutes ago, marco77 said:

While I like Erskine as a player, he doesnt fit in with the formation Caldwell wants to play. According to the rumours, he told Erskine that he can be an impact player off the bench or if that doesn't suit, he can find a team that will give him regularly 1st team football. I think that is a fair way to treat someone who has been a good servant to the team over the seasons.  

Do you know what formation Caldwell wants to play that Erskine can't fit in with?

47 minutes ago, marco77 said:

That’ll be the formation that’s taken us to the bottom of the league, give me a reason to think Caldwell knows what he’s doing and isn’t clueless 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Does Caldwell??

You  hit part of what I was thinking. Erskine can play wide left or right or as a number 10 or as the most forward player in a diamond midfield. So there are a number of positions he can play in a 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or a 3-5-2 so either its a weak reason or he's going to field a formation the world hasn't seen before that deploys neither attacking midfield players, wingers or a number 10.

55 minutes ago, laukat said:

Do you know what formation Caldwell wants to play that Erskine can't fit in with?

The one without Erskine. Going by Saturday, then it's a diamond.

It's clear to see that Caldwell doesnt see him as a first team player. He didnt start every game under Archie either. 

Erskine is one of my favourite players and would love to see him play every game but sometimes a player and manager dont suit each other. It happens at every club. 

6 minutes ago, marco77 said:

It's clear to see that Caldwell doesnt see him as a first team player. He didnt start every game under Archie either. 

Erskine is one of my favourite players and would love to see him play every game but sometimes a player and manager dont suit each other. It happens at every club. 

If he is going to play a diamond, then why would he sign Cardle (who is one day older than Erskine btw)?

In the version of the rumours I heard, Erskine has not been treated fairly.

Edited by jaf

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

You  hit part of what I was thinking. Erskine can play wide left or right or as a number 10 or as the most forward player in a diamond midfield. So there are a number of positions he can play in a 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or a 3-5-2 so either its a weak reason or he's going to field a formation the world hasn't seen before that deploys neither attacking midfield players, wingers or a number 10.

Watched on Saturday, Gary Harkins is never going to cut it as the the midfielder at the bottom of the diamond in a midfield role , I would play Bannigan there , Erskine should play at the top of the diamond as he offers more of a goal threat than any of the midfielders we’ve got .

Just now, marco77 said:

Yep - but this time it appears that the manager doesn't suit the club.

In this instance, I'd rather the player remained at the club.

Let's call this for what it is - every other club in our division would love to have Chris Erskine in their team because his presence would improve them immeasurably.

And Hamilton. Dundee, St Mirren and Livingston would cream their undies at the chance to get him too.

And what is  our fud of a manager doing to this asset?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Watched on Saturday, Gary Harkins is never going to cut it as the the midfielder at the bottom of the diamond in a midfield role , I would play Bannigan there , Erskine should play at the top of the diamond as he offers more of a goal threat than any of the midfielders we’ve got .

this  100%

we all know that Gary has a nose bleed anytime he crosses the halfway line

18 month contract?   still can't get my head round that one

what's happening at firhill ?

let's see what happens on saturday, let's see if erskine makes the squad

what a shambles !

25 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yep - but this time it appears that the manager doesn't suit the club.

In this instance, I'd rather the player remained at the club.

Let's call this for what it is - every other club in our division would love to have Chris Erskine in their team because his presence would improve them immeasurably.

And Hamilton. Dundee, St Mirren and Livingston would cream their undies at the chance to get him too.

And what is  our fud of a manager doing to this asset?

We haven't seen eye to eye on some issues over the years, Barney, but I'm with you here.

We're all Jags and want what's best for Thistle, and we'd all love to be proved wrong by Caldwell, but this just isnt working out.  He has to go. 

Whatever time Chris Erskine has left at this level, it should be spent with us. Caldwell is the problem, not Erskine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

We haven't seen eye to eye on some issues over the years, Barney, but I'm with you here.

We're all Jags and want what's best for Thistle, and we'd all love to be proved wrong by Caldwell, but this just isnt working out.  He has to go. 

Whatever time Chris Erskine has left at this level, it should be spent with us. Caldwell is the problem, not Erskine.

This in spades BJ.

Like many others, I was fooled by the win at St Johnstone a year ago (remember that?) .

Our club has a lot to answer for since top six was achieved. However, while certain individuals could be deemed to be past their best days, Chris Erskine has such an individual level of skill  that he could easily go on for another 4 or 5 years provided he takes care of his body - and there's no indication that he slacks in that department.

Shankland and Dobbie apart - and they are both out and out strikers - Chris Erskine has the most natural ability of any player in the division we find ourselves in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I really believe whatever formation we play we need a clean/hard tackling midfielder. Take your point Bannigan as opposed to Harkins but Banzo walks a tightrope every time he tries to break up play. The only other option is signing a very assured replacement for McGinty (not just someone that's barely a couple of steps up in ability). Saunders looked assured enough on Saturday. Pair him with someone at least his equal and we might get away with a more attack oriented midfield.

Re Erskine, my view is there's a good few players needing moved on before even considering getting rid of him. No sentiment required imo as he can easily fit into a couple of slots whether starting or off the bench.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Monetary reasons wouldn't be the only consideration. We'd only be of interest to out of work managers and, bottom of the league, only desperate ones at that. So I reckon it's too late in the season to sack Caldwell.

There is tho' potential circumstances that could occur where he has to leave or he jumps ship. I hope that doesn't happen as we'd most likely be forced down the temp manager(s) from within road till we can appoint a replacement manager in early summer. That sort of temp management is often akin to being run by a committee and consensus based. 

If I recall correctly from the stats thread, the Committee were in our top 3 of all time management set ups and certainly far and away better at the job than Gary Caldwell. 

• Like 1

All very depressing. I was glad to see Archie go and although I wouldn't have picked Caldwell, was reasonably happy with his appointment.

I have said all along that he needed to bring in his own players and get rid of the deadwood, therefore needed to be given a lot of time and our target should now be to avoid relegation. He has brought new faces in, looks like shipping a few out (including Erskine, rightly or wrongly). So far, so good.

Except:

As Auld Jag has pointed out, GC can hardly have told the board that he could do nothing with the present squad, on the contrary he is rumoured to have said that he had assessed the players. The implication being that he could turn things round in the interim; on that count he has failed completely and is well on the way to lowering his 3-wins-out-of-29 games ratio established at Chesterfield.

The *****ing about with the dugouts and the SAS malarkey has me wondering about his self-image and whether he would be better suited to a career in the meejah.

Based on the foregoing, I now have practically no confidence in his ability to turn things round even with new players.

I am alarmed at the number of cool heads (certainly cooler than mine anyway) who are saying he must go now (albeit one is saying that - right now - the cure maybe worse than the condition).

I agree with what has been said about Erskine's potential, and if it was a choice between the bridge and GC - no contest.

All eyes on the Falkirk game ...

On official site, no problem with this and completely contrary to the rumours

Over the weekend, Partick Thistle received a formal enquiry from another Scottish club about the availability of Chris Erskine. In consultation with Chris that Club was given permission to speak to him. Following the enquiry, a private conversation took place between the manager and Chris. Chris is not being forced from Partick Thistle and the decision remains in his hands.

Chris remains part of the first team squad and will be treated with the respect that a player who has given so much to this football club deserves. Chris remains committed to the Club as he continues to prepare for Saturday’s game.