Caldwell

Jagsman

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Of course if telephone figures come in as an offer then fair enough, but honestly how realistic is that? And what would those telephone figures have to be to make it worthwhile?

Anyway, as an aside it's encouraging to see this forum so animated on a Tuesday night. Good to see some real debate on here for the first time in a while.

I think it reflects what we are seeing on the park !

58 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Jesus

start a rumour 

get the facts 

get annoyed 

erskine wanted to speak to a club that expressed an interest and the manager is st fault ?! 

No one really knows "the facts" so in fairness Fans are putting there interpretation on things - dont forget the shambles of a statement ref Caldwell,s s time at Chesterfield which the Club had to withdraw - so everything else is taken with a "pinch" of salt - this is the Clubs version of events - we dont know the facts 

And it looks like there is certainly some substance to at least one of the various rumours 

My wife tells me I have to stop getting myself so worked up about this - he is just a player and we support a team not a player! (she will never understand)

But she is right about one thing, we have a huge game on Saturday, we need to be united, we have been divided about Archie, divided about Caldwell and now divided about Erskine.  We probably cannot influence what is going to happen either with Erskine or Caldwell, so its time to realise we are in a dogfight and we need to get behind the team on Saturday.

So let me tell you where I am with this - I will always have a little piece of Erskine in my heart, and think he has been treated shabbily on the basis of what I was told, however I am going to be all about the positivity for the remainder of this week!

However, finally to paraphrase Lady Bracknell - to lose three points to relegation rivals one week, may be regarded as misfortune, to lose those three points and a player the fans love would look like carelessness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaf said:

My wife tells me I have to stop getting myself so worked up about this - he is just a player and we support a team not a player! (she will never understand)

But she is right about one thing, we have a huge game on Saturday, we need to be united, we have been divided about Archie, divided about Caldwell and now divided about Erskine.  We probably cannot influence what is going to happen either with Erskine or Caldwell, so its time to realise we are in a dogfight and we need to get behind the team on Saturday.

So let me tell you where I am with this - I will always have a little piece of Erskine in my heart, and think he has been treated shabbily on the basis of what I was told, however I am going to be all about the positivity for the remainder of this week!

However, finally to paraphrase Lady Bracknell - to lose three points to relegation rivals one week, may be regarded as misfortune, to lose those three points and a player the fans love would look like carelessness.

Nice post

ill take a win on Saturday no matter who is playing for us !

On the negative side the statement is a worry for what it doesn't say rather than what it does say. For example it could have said 'contrary to unfounded claims there was no disgreement between the manager and Chris, they get on great and Gary see's Chris as integral part of his team' or 'Whilst an approach was made and we had to let Chris speak to the club we want Chris to stay and told him so'.

On the positive side either club is reading this forum or twitter or has some contact with fans to understand there are concerns and overall that can't be a bad.  By releasing the statement the club has in effect acknowledged there is a concern regarding Erskine and how Caldwell is percvieved to be managing that situation. Also if they have figured out this then they must also know that the fans are running out of patience with Caldwell.

There is an opprotunity in this episode for Caldwell to start to turn the fans opinon of him. Erskine is entirely the sort of character that after a week like this might just have a worldy against Falkirk and he knows if he gets a start he has to produce. If Caldwell starts Erskine  in place of Storey he shows the fan he's listening and if we win smiles all round, if we lose then he has an out.

Bizarre and strangely worded statement to release which raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers. Our club - or rather, as I suspect she wrote it, our Chairman - really isn’t as clever at PR as we/she should be. 

The main point, though, is that a manager who has done nothing to prove himself - and everything to make people incredibly sceptical about every single decision he takes - has clearly decided that a talented, committed, popular player (who has never once been accused in the past of attitude problems) doesn’t have a future here. That he thinks he has the capital with the fans (or the talent within the squad) to push out a player of Erskine’s standing is baffling. 

None of us want Caldwell to fail. None of us want us to be relegated. Nobody is enjoying this. Every one of us wants this club we all love to succeed. But the accumulation of terrible decisions, weird statements/videos, shambolic performances and deluded rhetoric makes me feel uneasier about our future than I have done in a long time. 

3 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Bizarre and strangely worded statement to release which raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers. Our club - or rather, as I suspect she wrote it, our Chairman - really isn’t as clever at PR as we/she should be. 

The main point, though, is that a manager who has done nothing to prove himself - and everything to make people incredibly sceptical about every single decision he takes - has clearly decided that a talented, committed, popular player (who has never once been accused in the past of attitude problems) doesn’t have a future here. That he thinks he has the capital with the fans (or the talent within the squad) to push out a player of Erskine’s standing is baffling. 

None of us want Caldwell to fail. None of us want us to be relegated. Nobody is enjoying this. Every one of us wants this club we all love to succeed. But the accumulation of terrible decisions, weird statements/videos, shambolic performances and deluded rhetoric makes me feel uneasier about our future than I have done in a long time. 

Your post is just full of made up speculation 

1. You don’t know who wrote the club statement , where is your evidence that j low write it 

2. Where is your evidence that the manager has decided to get rid of erskine ?

3. Where is your evidence for all your other speculation and generalisations ?

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Your post is just full of made up speculation 

1. You don’t know who wrote the club statement , where is your evidence that j low write it 

2. Where is your evidence that the manager has decided to get rid of erskine ?

3. Where is your evidence for all your other speculation and generalisations ?

1) You’re right. I don’t. But our club PR has been pretty decent until the last 6 months or so. And given our Chairman’s background is PR I would imagine she has a fair say in it. And it actually matter if she didn’t, it doesn’t detract from the fact it’s a strange statement to make. 

2) It’s clear from what is going on that that’s exactly what is happening. The statement doesn’t allay those concerns/rumours, in my opinion. 

3) Evidence for poor decisions? The appointment of Caldwell. Evidence for weird statements/videos? Have a look at Jagzone’s last Low/Caldwell interview. Evidence for shambolic performances? Have a look at the vast majority of performances under Caldwell. Evidence for deluded rhetoric? Listen to/read/watch any interview with Caldwell, or watch the last Low interview where she suggests promotion is still our aim. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

20 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell wants Chris Erskine out the door asap. Erskine is an obvious candidate for Caldwell's Job.

Exactly the same could be said about Kris Doolan. However it's a bit trickier trying to bin someone during their testimonial season.

Erskine and Doolan as a double act, are currently idealy placed to take over the management reigns with immediate effect. Caldwell knows this only too well. Hence, Erskine has to go.

Erskine is the biggest voice in the dressing room, but believe it or not has been backing Caldwell’s new regime and methods since he came in. He asked for more game time and was told he’s a squad player, when he brought up the fact Caldwell had praised him publicly and at training after Morton game yet was benched for Saturday Caldwell said his game time is up.

Caldwell is known for being arrogant, big headed and self centered with zero charisma, and that comes from an ex teammate of his in the Scotland team.

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok

1. You don’t know so stop 

2. It’s not clear at all and if it is present your evidence 

3. Your opinion 

1) Stop having an opinion on our club statements? Nah you’re alright, mate.

2) The informed posters on here who have been correct on other stories have called it exactly in this way. Let’s see if Erskine leaves. If he does it’ll be because Caldwell has decided he has no place in the squad. To me that’s a terrible decision.

3) Yes, my opinion. This is a forum for expressing opinions. Feel free to put forward your opposing opinions. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

The facts are that no one knows all the facts except the club has put out a statement .... and given the opportunity to speak to another club erskine did ..., loyalty ?

were in danger of turning a player who has been decidedly average for over a year into messi 

Thistle have not (yet) offered him a contract extension.

He is entitled and perfectly within his rights to mitigate the risk that he will be unemployed in May.

There is precisely zero disloyalty in that.

21 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

1) Stop having an opinion on our club statements? Nah you’re alright, mate.

2) The informed posters on here who have been correct on other stories have called it exactly in this way. Let’s see if Erskine leaves. If he does it’ll be because Caldwell has decided he has no place in the squad. To me that’s a terrible decision.

3) Yes, my opinion. This is a forum for expressing opinions. Feel free to put forward your opposing opinions. 

1. It wasn’t an opinion you stated something as a fact and then admitted it wasn’t 

2. You can now predict the future ? Erskine may leave and it could be for all sorts of reasons 

3. Nothing wrong with opinions but they should be stated as such 

Edited by javeajag

9 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Thistle have not (yet) offered him a contract extension.

He is entitled and perfectly within his rights to mitigate the risk that he will be unemployed in May.

There is precisely zero disloyalty in that.

I agree just as I wouldn’t offer him a contract extension yet 

11 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Erskine is the biggest voice in the dressing room, but believe it or not has been backing Caldwell’s new regime and methods since he came in. He asked for more game time and was told he’s a squad player, when he brought up the fact Caldwell had praised him publicly and at training after Morton game yet was benched for Saturday Caldwell said his game time is up.

Could it be the case that Chris instructed his agent to find him a new club after being told that he's a squad player, Ayr made its approach on the back of that, and Caldwell subsequently decided that it's up to him to decide if his future is with us or another club?

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

1. It wasn’t an opinion you stated something as a fact and then admitted it wasn’t 

2. You can now predict the future ? Erskine may leave and ur could be for all sorts of reasons 

3. Nothing wrong with opinions but they should be stated as such 

I said I suspect the Chairman wrote it. I didn’t present it as fact. I presented it as my hunch. 

No I can’t predict the future. It’s pretty clear the chances of Erskine leaving are high, though. And it’s pretty clear the reasons for that are that Caldwell wants him gone/doesn’t rate him. To me that’s poor judgement, a bad decision, and I’m perfectly entitled to describe it as such.

1 hour ago, jaf said:

Good post. One things for sure the fans need to back the team on Saturday and leave the Caldwell stuff to post game discussion. Hoping for a good turnout given the critical nature of the game.