Jump to content

Happyjag

Covid as usual

Recommended Posts

I know this could be a silly question. But is there going to be any testing In lge 1 and2. I've heard several saint Mirren players and queens players have tested positive.. so I would imagine at least a cpl of our players  will have caught it.  So could our first 2 games be forfeited. Its gonna be so important to be top of the league at all times this season such is the precedent set by our friendly muppets at the spfl.  Apologies for spelling mistakes or wrong words my auto correct Is being a plick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Happyjag said:

I know this could be a silly question. But is there going to be any testing In lge 1 and2. I've heard several saint Mirren players and queens players have tested positive.. so I would imagine at least a cpl of our players  will have caught it.  So could our first 2 games be forfeited. Its gonna be so important to be top of the league at all times this season such is the precedent set by our friendly muppets at the spfl.  Apologies for spelling mistakes or wrong words my auto correct Is being a plick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no mandatory covid testing for League one, two or championship, unless they are playing a Premier League side.

So yes, it is highly likely that covid is going to badly infect club squads and almost inevitably ours, however so far no league game has been forfeited, only cup games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A huge issue that ,so far,has seemed to me to be inconsistent,is who has to self isolate and for how long if a player/coach tests positive. There should be clear guidance on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

There is no mandatory covid testing for League one, two or championship, unless they are playing a Premier League side.

So yes, it is highly likely that covid is going to badly infect club squads and almost inevitably ours, however so far no league game has been forfeited, only cup games

From the outside (Norway) looking in, the whole testing situation in Scotland is haphazard, I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago and the big issue for my suppliers is when one of their operators kids is in a school class where a kid tests positive, then the class and all the parents have to self isolate for 14 days but can’t be tested unless symptomatic.  I took 2 tests before traveling, and 2 on return (Friday night at airport and Wednesday afternoon across the road from the house), and came out of quarantine on the day I had my second negative result (Thursday).  If we need a test because of contact, symptoms or travel, we log on and get it that day and effectively back to work or school the following day. Same goes with football teams, they use same testing centers as public (except A league who test every 2 days). A Viking player tested positive on Thursday but rest of team are not in quarantine as they are still on negative results.

Surely something similar would work in Scotland 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

From the outside (Norway) looking in, the whole testing situation in Scotland is haphazard, I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago and the big issue for my suppliers is when one of their operators kids is in a school class where a kid tests positive, then the class and all the parents have to self isolate for 14 days but can’t be tested unless symptomatic.  I took 2 tests before traveling, and 2 on return (Friday night at airport and Wednesday afternoon across the road from the house), and came out of quarantine on the day I had my second negative result (Thursday).  If we need a test because of contact, symptoms or travel, we log on and get it that day and effectively back to work or school the following day. Same goes with football teams, they use same testing centers as public (except A league who test every 2 days). A Viking player tested positive on Thursday but rest of team are not in quarantine as they are still on negative results.

Surely something similar would work in Scotland 

I think one of the issues here is that Scottish tests won’t necessarily be analysed in Scotland and get lumped in with the rest of the U.K.

In Scotland, I didn’t think you had to wait until showing symptoms to get a test - maybe I am wrong or the guidance changed somewhere. 
Getting tested regularly doesn’t eliminate the chance of getting Covid, it is only reducing the risk that you might be asymptomatic.

Just out of interest who pays for your tests ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think one of the issues here is that Scottish tests won’t necessarily be analysed in Scotland and get lumped in with the rest of the U.K.

In Scotland, I didn’t think you had to wait until showing symptoms to get a test - maybe I am wrong or the guidance changed somewhere. 
Getting tested regularly doesn’t eliminate the chance of getting Covid, it is only reducing the risk that you might be asymptomatic.

Just out of interest who pays for your tests ?

Getting tested regularly also helps to stop the spread as a positive test results in an isolation. Without the test, an asymptomatic carrier could spread the virus further,

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think one of the issues here is that Scottish tests won’t necessarily be analysed in Scotland and get lumped in with the rest of the U.K.

In Scotland, I didn’t think you had to wait until showing symptoms to get a test - maybe I am wrong or the guidance changed somewhere. 
Getting tested regularly doesn’t eliminate the chance of getting Covid, it is only reducing the risk that you might be asymptomatic.

Just out of interest who pays for your tests ?

The government, they are free for all. Perhaps one of the reasons Norway is open is its testing regime. I’m just about to go to the pub with mates to watch an afternoon of football, we are careful but open.

It was a huge culture shock being back home 2 weeks ago, masks, arrows, perspex, but most notable was the was the press (and to extent politicians) convey messages, it’s a retric of fear and sensationalism that isn’t helpful or healthy.  None of this is present here (masks, arrows, perspex or sensational headlines).

I got tested at 8:30 on a Friday night and had my result by 9am the following day, testing as many as possible stops asymptomatic spreading, and regular follow up tests gets people and society back to normal as soon as possible, I think that and the calm message has helped massively here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Getting tested regularly also helps to stop the spread as a positive test results in an isolation. Without the test, an asymptomatic carrier could spread the virus further,

Totally agree, we also have 2 levels of quarantine which helps folk comply.

Quarantine - if you have returned from travel, awaiting a test result based on contact, or a household member is, then you are in quarantine. This means you can’t go to work, school, bars or restaurants. You avoid public transport and shops, but if you have to  (no one can shop for you) then use a mask. You can though go for a walk, cycle etc but you keep 1 meter distance and avoid busy areas (I went fishing alone during my quarantine).

Self Isolation - You are positive. You stay at home, except for follow up tests. Your family segregates from you in house if possible or they also go in self isolation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I think one of the issues here is that Scottish tests won’t necessarily be analysed in Scotland and get lumped in with the rest of the U.K.

In Scotland, I didn’t think you had to wait until showing symptoms to get a test - maybe I am wrong or the guidance changed somewhere. 
Getting tested regularly doesn’t eliminate the chance of getting Covid, it is only reducing the risk that you might be asymptomatic.

Just out of interest who pays for your tests ?

That's correct no symptoms means no test (unless you feign symptoms). My company had to send me to London for a private test that cost £250 before I flew to Finland last week as I was struggling to get one done privately with a fast result in Scotland

Edited by jaggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I was admitted to hospital last Saturday (nothing serious) and was in until Wednesday and wasn't tested at all. I was only asked if I'd had symptoms and where I'd been. Over 70's were tested on admittance and then every 4 days. Anyone getting a surgical procedure was tested prior to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaggy said:

That's correct no symptoms means no test (unless you feign symptoms). My company had to send me to London for a private test that cost £250 before I flew to Finland last week as I was struggling to get one done privately with a fast result in Scotland

Where as I was traveling for business and I just log on and get one for free within 2 hours close to where I live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

From the outside (Norway) looking in, the whole testing situation in Scotland is haphazard, I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago and the big issue for my suppliers is when one of their operators kids is in a school class where a kid tests positive, then the class and all the parents have to self isolate for 14 days but can’t be tested unless symptomatic.  I took 2 tests before traveling, and 2 on return (Friday night at airport and Wednesday afternoon across the road from the house), and came out of quarantine on the day I had my second negative result (Thursday).  If we need a test because of contact, symptoms or travel, we log on and get it that day and effectively back to work or school the following day. Same goes with football teams, they use same testing centers as public (except A league who test every 2 days). A Viking player tested positive on Thursday but rest of team are not in quarantine as they are still on negative results.

Surely something similar would work in Scotland 

Not the case for schools in scotland. Only those in close contacts, such as sitting close for prolonged period have to self isolate. There is no requirement for an entire class to isolate anymore, unless they all fit in the need to isolate requirements. The rest of the family of a child with no symptoms do not have to self isolate either. This was changed from the very early days of schools going back when it was required. If that child then develops symptoms, then anyone in their household needs to self isolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest problem here is that no government (UK , Scottish, Welsh or NI) wants to admit that at present we don't have the capacity to offer tests to everyone who has no symptoms. They are praising the testing systems all the time so can't then be truthful about the limitations. Can you imagine the press outrage if they did? More of the sensational headlined our media love despite the truth. There are some sectors (care home staff etc who can get tests even if they show no symptoms) but even that is fairly limited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The government, they are free for all. Perhaps one of the reasons Norway is open is its testing regime. I’m just about to go to the pub with mates to watch an afternoon of football, we are careful but open.

It was a huge culture shock being back home 2 weeks ago, masks, arrows, perspex, but most notable was the was the press (and to extent politicians) convey messages, it’s a retric of fear and sensationalism that isn’t helpful or healthy.  None of this is present here (masks, arrows, perspex or sensational headlines).

I got tested at 8:30 on a Friday night and had my result by 9am the following day, testing as many as possible stops asymptomatic spreading, and regular follow up tests gets people and society back to normal as soon as possible, I think that and the calm message has helped massively here. 

What seems to be a problem here is that there are people who are not careful and flout the rules. Evidence of that was apparent in Liverpool the other night before the pubs/restaurants were closed. Or go into shops without a mask etc. Or plan on coach trips to Blackpool to watch a football match that is taking place in Glasgow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

What seems to be a problem here is that there are people who are not careful and flout the rules. Evidence of that was apparent in Liverpool the other night before the pubs/restaurants were closed. Or go into shops without a mask etc. Or plan on coach trips to Blackpool to watch a football match that is taking place in Glasgow. 

If you give reasonable restrictions people will follow, or maybe that’s just Scandinavia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alb said:

Not the case for schools in scotland. Only those in close contacts, such as sitting close for prolonged period have to self isolate. There is no requirement for an entire class to isolate anymore, unless they all fit in the need to isolate requirements. The rest of the family of a child with no symptoms do not have to self isolate either. This was changed from the very early days of schools going back when it was required. If that child then develops symptoms, then anyone in their household needs to self isolate.

That sets up school classes to be super-spreaders, as the majority attending them (the pupils) will either be asymptomatic or show symptoms that can easily be mistaken for cold symptoms. :loco:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

If you give reasonable restrictions people will follow, or maybe that’s just Scandinavia 

Biggest problem in  UK is lab capacity. It is improving but we are not in the same league as Scandanavian countries or Germany. Otherwise we could test on demand. We closed too many labs under cost-cutting ( in hindsight, big error) and now trying to catch up.  To keep this as a football discussion, I fear we'll see disruption regularly in Scottish senior football this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arete said:

Biggest problem in  UK is lab capacity. It is improving but we are not in the same league as Scandanavian countries or Germany. Otherwise we could test on demand. We closed too many labs under cost-cutting ( in hindsight, big error) and now trying to catch up.  To keep this as a football discussion, I fear we'll see disruption regularly in Scottish senior football this season

And this needs to be the big effort, so we can get football (and society) back to a semblance of normality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

What seems to be a problem here is that there are people who are not careful and flout the rules. Evidence of that was apparent in Liverpool the other night before the pubs/restaurants were closed. Or go into shops without a mask etc. Or plan on coach trips to Blackpool to watch a football match that is taking place in Glasgow. 

This is true tho' I really believe the OF match should've been postponed. It certainly shouldn't have been available only on subscription television. We all know the reason why that is but that's a case where the government should have stepped in to pre-empt the inevitable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This is true tho' I really believe the OF match should've been postponed. It certainly shouldn't have been available only on subscription television. We all know the reason why that is but that's a case where the government should have stepped in to pre-empt the inevitable. 

Don’t think the SG and pre empting go together, opening student accommodation, 10 o’clock curfew in Hospitality etc etc .as examples 

Trouble it seems there is no dialogue between the SG and the different governing bodies be that the Football Authorities or the Hospitality Industry .

In different sectors it’s becoming a them and us scenario, we need everyone working together.

Just now it’s wee Nic’s way or no way at all which starts to build up a deep mistrust between the relevant authorities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think the SG and pre empting go together, opening student accommodation, 10 o’clock curfew in Hospitality etc etc .as examples 

Trouble it seems there is no dialogue between the SG and the different governing bodies be that the Football Authorities or the Hospitality Industry .

In different sectors it’s becoming a them and us scenario, we need everyone working together.

Just now it’s wee Nic’s way or no way at all which starts to build up a deep mistrust between the relevant authorities.

I kind of think that govts are in a no win situation.  In the summer, getting kids and students back to education was seen as necessary for their mental health. They were getting criticised for allowing bars to open when schools were closed !

What would be the point of talking to the football authorities- all they would do is pass the decision to the clubs, and they would just vote in their own self interest. Hospitality would be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This is true tho' I really believe the OF match should've been postponed. It certainly shouldn't have been available only on subscription television. We all know the reason why that is but that's a case where the government should have stepped in to pre-empt the inevitable. 

I agree that the game should have been postponed. Maybe the idiots that did travel over the border have ensured that the next game will be postponed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I agree that the game should have been postponed. Maybe the idiots that did travel over the border have ensured that the next game will be postponed.

Even if no one travelled to Blackpool or wherever the lack of social distancing caused by the game being televised (especially on pay TV) will be both immeasurable and unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×