Gary Caldwell Interview - Draw Lose Or Draw Podcast

Lambies Lost Doo

I’m definitely in the 50/50 camp with him but 100% behind the decision to let him go. To fair to him, he didn’t duck a question and gave his reasons for some of his more questionable decisions. Interesting that he finally admitted not bringing Dools on at QOTS was a mistake and his comments about the board changes and the Barnsley owner visit were eye opening. Not impressed with the Erskine/Dools bashing though...

Really enjoyed listening to the podcast. Was a great interview - he was asked the important questions and he answered them well. It was interesting to hear his opinion on the change of board and its impact. I also think that sadly his decisions on erskine and doolan have been proved to be the correct ones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ironfist said:

Really enjoyed listening to the podcast. Was a great interview - he was asked the important questions and he answered them well. It was interesting to hear his opinion on the change of board and its impact. I also think that sadly his decisions on erskine and doolan have been proved to be the correct ones. 

I don’t think there would have been many who thought that Doolan and Erskine were doing the business anymore. It was the manner that it was done that was the problem.

Have you listened to the interview? I thought his side of the story sounded reasonable. He conceded that, with hindsight, communication with fans could have been better and that  he should have brought doolan on in the last game of the season. I wasn’t complaining when he was sacked but I also think that in retrospect he was on a hiding to nothing in many ways and  we are also  worse team now! 

Not bad interview and as usual he spoke well, finally showing a bit of an understanding that some things could have been done differently. I did notice that when it came to decisions or situations where things didn't work out as expected he was talking about 'we' and not 'I' trying to make out not everything was his fault.

3 hours ago, ironfist said:

Have you listened to the interview? I thought his side of the story sounded reasonable. He conceded that, with hindsight, communication with fans could have been better and that  he should have brought doolan on in the last game of the season. I wasn’t complaining when he was sacked but I also think that in retrospect he was on a hiding to nothing in many ways and  we are also  worse team now! 

I haven’t listened to it. 

A good interview but even though he was honest with his answers his arrogance is still there in abundance. On the Doolan issue he stated now he should have put him on, but whilst still in charge he stated it was about winning. As for him going on about players records since leaving, he should perhaps look at his own since leaving. 

One thing he alluded to is that if the board hadn’t changed he doesn’t believe he’d have been fired, which not only worrying shows how much he’d convinced them he was the messiah 

26 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

A good interview but even though he was honest with his answers his arrogance is still there in abundance. On the Doolan issue he stated now he should have put him on, but whilst still in charge he stated it was about winning. As for him going on about players records since leaving, he should perhaps look at his own since leaving. 

One thing he alluded to is that if the board hadn’t changed he doesn’t believe he’d have been fired, which not only worrying shows how much he’d convinced them he was the messiah 

I don’t think he will ever change some folks minds, and that’s fair enough. He didn’t have to do the interview, and I think he gets some credit for that. I didn’t hear arrogance, just someone explaining why he made certain decisions. 

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

I don’t think he will ever change some folks minds, and that’s fair enough. He didn’t have to do the interview, and I think he gets some credit for that. I didn’t hear arrogance, just someone explaining why he made certain decisions. 

It took balls (or pure arrogance) to agree to do it and fair play to him for doing it.

I still state he was arrogant though in the interview (either arrogance or overconfidence) he statedhis last failure at previous club wasn’t his fault, he only got punted because board changed (not 2 points from  18), his philosophy, the only time he said “we” was when he mentioned something went wrong.

He should never have got near our club, and should never have lasted as long as he did at it. 

• Like 2

That’s fine, that is your opinion and I’m sure it’s shared by many. I heard him say that the change of the board made things more difficult for him, and there’s no doubt that it must’ve done. I also thought it was interesting to hear him say the new board had an agenda, which they did- to sell their shares in the club. I was pleased when McCall was appointed, but has he improved upon Caldwell’s team to date? I’m not sure...perhaps it is more difficult and takes longer to build a winning team than fans tolerate. 

8 hours ago, ironfist said:

That’s fine, that is your opinion and I’m sure it’s shared by many. I heard him say that the change of the board made things more difficult for him, and there’s no doubt that it must’ve done. I also thought it was interesting to hear him say the new board had an agenda, which they did- to sell their shares in the club. I was pleased when McCall was appointed, but has he improved upon Caldwell’s team to date? I’m not sure...perhaps it is more difficult and takes longer to build a winning team than fans tolerate. 

My memory is a bit hazy on the timeline - but wasn’t it pretty immediate that the new board sacked him ?