Sign in to follow this  
Thistle88

Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

If true, it looks like McCall is up to his old tricks: https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-kai-kennedy-james-maxwell-27108503https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kai-kennedy-wanted-rangers-starlet-27105742 

Kai Kennedy hasn't scored more than one goal for any team he's played for and he's supposedly a striker. The other boy, James Maxwell has scored 5-times as many goals and he's a full-back. If McCall and the Board sign-off on more sh!tty Rangers loan deals, I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket. I even think Mayo is unbelievebly overrated by our fans. Just exemplifies how far our club has sunk. 

I did think Kennedy was someone McCall was after in January to play on the right wing. I think he has potential and in theory he would provide balance if we play 4-3-3.

There isn't a glut of experience available wingers knocking about. Noticed Lawless has now set up a coaching academy similar to Doolan so maybe he is thinking about retirement? Chalmers at ICT looked a decent option but he's back at Dundee Utd and hoping to make a break through there. Kennedy has racked up a decent amount of games at this level and assuming we keep Tiffoney then Kennedy may progress better in a team that not all the creative expectation is on his shoulders

Maxwell is a bit stranger now we have signed Milne. Even stranger is his contract with Sevco expires shortly so why would be taking him on loan? If Sevco don't offer him a contract and we want him then why would he be part of any deal for Cooper?

That being said if Maxwell is coming on a permanent basis and is cheap enough it would mean we are well served for cover at leftback for several years so maybe its a bit of future proofing from McCall?

Overall it suggests to me that McCall wants a squad that is more flexible in formation and can move between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3.

3 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I could NEVER understand why Ian McCall chose to bring Alex Jakubiak to Thistle, to replace Zak Rudden. Whatever, his other outfield skills he most certainly DID NOT have a previous record as a goal scorer. In fact, in the time he was at Firhill he scored only once! If you look at his ‘history’ between 2014-2022, he was on loan at 10 different clubs. (THAT should say something!) And at seven of those 10 teams he scored either one or zero goals, which added up to four goals at seven clubs! WHAT was the attraction of signing him? Was it just a coincidence his loan signing (and that of Alegria who didn’t score any goals) coincided with a huge slide in terms of results, performances and accumulation of points. I am  left thinking was the scenario that brought him to Thistle something like this:

I Mc: “Aye, well, that’s it all done and dusted son, you’re a Dundee player on loan, until the end of season and then you’ll join as a fully signed player.

ZR: “Thanks, Gaffer, Sorry, but I just didn’t feel very motivated any more, after signing that pre-contract. D’ya understand? I just needed to join them to help in the relegation battle. I am rarin’ to go now!

IMc: ”Ach, it’s alright, I know how it is. Anyway, we’re likely to get a young Gers’ player coming in on loan. From Columbia apparently. Have heard lots of good reports.

ZR: “Aw well, that’s good. Hope it all works out!”

I Mc: “Aye, so do I! But, I could do with another loan striker, just to be sure!”

Dundee Mgr (DM) : “ Well, we might be able to help you out there, Ian. We’d be able to let you have Alex Jakubiak till the end of the season. He’s got a lot of experience, been at a number of other clubs. Physically strong too. 

I Mc: “Well, it’d look better, if I can bring in two strikers fairly quickly. Shut down the fans moaning about Zak leaving. Are you really happy to let him come to Firhill to help in our promotion push?

DM: “Certainly Ian. It’s the least we can do, seeing you’ve smoothed the way to help Zak come here earlier. One good turn…as they say! I’ll just fetch him in from training so you can have a chat with him!

I Mc: “THANKS! It saves me havin’ to look elsewhere!

END  (in more ways than one!)

Nutshell! :happy2:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I could NEVER understand why Ian McCall chose to bring Alex Jakubiak to Thistle, to replace Zak Rudden. Whatever, his other outfield skills he most certainly DID NOT have a previous record as a goal scorer. In fact, in the time he was at Firhill he scored only once! If you look at his ‘history’ between 2014-2022, he was on loan at 10 different clubs. (THAT should say something!) And at seven of those 10 teams he scored either one or zero goals, which added up to four goals at seven clubs! WHAT was the attraction of signing him? Was it just a coincidence his loan signing (and that of Alegria who didn’t score any goals) coincided with a huge slide in terms of results, performances and accumulation of points?  I am  left thinking was the scenario that brought him to Thistle something like this:

I Mc: “Aye, well, that’s it all done and dusted son, you’re a Dundee player on loan, until the end of season and then you’ll join as a fully signed player.

ZR: “Thanks, Gaffer, Sorry, but I just didn’t feel very motivated any more, after signing that pre-contract. D’ya understand? I just needed to join them to help in the relegation battle. I am rarin’ to go now!

IMc: ”Ach, it’s alright, I know how it is. Anyway, we’re likely to get a young Gers’ player coming in on loan. From Columbia apparently. Have heard lots of good reports.

ZR: “Aw well, that’s good. Hope it all works out!”

I Mc: “Aye, so do I! But, I could do with another loan striker, just to be sure!”

Dundee Mgr (DM) : “ Well, we might be able to help you out there, Ian. We’d be able to let you have Alex Jakubiak till the end of the season. He’s got a lot of experience, been at a number of other clubs. Physically strong too. 

I Mc: “Well, it’d look better, if I can bring in two strikers fairly quickly. Shut down the fans moaning about Zak leaving. Are you really happy to let him come to Firhill to help in our promotion push?

DM: “Certainly Ian. It’s the least we can do, seeing you’ve smoothed the way to help Zak come here earlier. One good turn…as they say! I’ll just fetch him in from training so you can have a chat with him!

I Mc: “THANKS! It saves me havin’ to look elsewhere!

END  (in more ways than one!)

You really think it was down to McCall we got Jakubiak?  It was penny pinching from the board, neither Jakubiak or Allegria were targets as you can probably see why they were only signed last minute.  The targets identified in January were not backed apart from Crawford 

Jakubiaks wage on loan was 90 per cent paid for by Dundee and pretty much all of Allegrias by Rangers.   The board in my opinion has escaped lightly with the fiasco of the January window.  Little backing meant we were onto absolutely desperate signings.  Though they thought we were going to get decent money for Rudden I guess which would have been used for the signings McCall had targeted 

• Like 2

Part Two:-

Later. 

Shortly after the 0-4 home defeat to Hamilton

I Mc:  £#&*  %#@! +=?#!!! That’s it! #£&-+= Jakubiak! £#&*@ Alegria! =+-&£# Dundee! The two o’ them, as much use as a #£&* @“%+!, I’ll be sticking  to the tried and tested in future….doing what I know best ….I’m going back to ……………. (Wait for it!) …………(drum roll) …..AYR UNITED  for my signings!!!! (They don’t call them the ‘Honest Men’ for nothing!)

THE VERY END!

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

1 minute ago, sandy said:

I am bored of SEVCO loan signings. Very bored. Ian please make it stop 

I am afraid his blue nose and blue tinted glasses won't stop him. One of the main reasons he is incapable of taking us to the Premiership. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

You really think it was down to McCall we got Jakubiak?  It was penny pinching from the board.

The board in my opinion has escaped lightly with the fiasco of the January window.  Little backing meant we were onto absolutely desperate signings. 

What evidence do you have of ‘penny pinching from the board?’ - or is it just you trying to land more heat on the board given the current ownership debate?

By all means, have a pop at the board if it is deserved but I think you are really barking up the wrong tree with this one. 

4 minutes ago, G SUS said:

What evidence do you have of ‘penny pinching from the board?’ - or is it just you trying to land more heat on the board given the current ownership debate?

By all means, have a pop at the board if it is deserved but I think you are really barking up the wrong tree with this one. 

Why do you think he is barking up the wrong tree?

7 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I've parted with far too much of my hard-earned cash over the past few seasons. I doubt even a financial windfall would see cash being put to good use. 

Doesn’t answer my point but carry on 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Doesn’t answer my point but carry on 

I think he did provide an answer.

It’s time we stopped this passive-aggressive tone on here. If you are trying to make a point, make it please and make it clearly. ‘Carry On’ is a series of films, not a way to end a post.

10 hours ago, G SUS said:

Tell you what if Jakuibiak and Allegria were anywhere near our top targets McCall deserves shot. I highly suspect neither player was any where near the top of our target list, I heard it from McCall at a meet the manager that one of our targets in January was a (striker)  joining on a full time basis.

That never happened, so I’m assuming the board were a part of us not getting who we wanted in. 

I don’t particularly enjoy getting loans in from, Celtic-Rangers. Mayo is probably the best I remember us having from Rangers and I think him and Holt were probably our most solid pairing at CB last season. Wouldn’t be against him coming back at all.

Kai Kennedy is highly rated at rangers but unless we are paying absolutely hee haw wage wise then it seems a waste, especially with how he get on last season in this division.

7 hours ago, sandy said:

I think he did provide an answer.

It’s time we stopped this passive-aggressive tone on here. If you are trying to make a point, make it please and make it clearly. ‘Carry On’ is a series of films, not a way to end a post.

You have an opinion and I have mine that’s what forums are but I’m not sure who elected you as moderator ?…...he did provide an answer just not to the point I made which is stopping buying a season ticket hurts the club financially and how does that help?

not sure your understanding of passive aggressive is correct 

11 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

1st of June. Shall we see our massive haul of new players signing?

Juan Mata is available for free

Accies free Moyo,big strong striker/good in the air …although never forgiven him for spoiling a potential 6 nil battering of Accies at start of season .

24 minutes ago, sandy said:

Juan Mata is available for free

Naw! He's pish. I have it on good authority the Mbappe said no to Real for us. No idea where he would fit in to our Glaslactios side.

19 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Naw! He's pish. I have it on good authority the Mbappe said no to Real for us. No idea where he would fit in to our Glaslactios side.

We’d probably play him in goals 

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Why do you think he is barking up the wrong tree?

I think he was backed but didn’t spend his money wisely. 

He was able to add Crawford and McAllister early in the window, two Premiership players so there was clearly money there. 

There was talk in December of getting a player from Hibs(might have been evening times reporting it) and their change of manager maybe hindered that. The increase in subs in the Premiership mid-January also didn’t help as players who were bombed out and might have been good targets were suddenly back in the picture. 

The Rudden situation affected the entire window and is the sole reason we were weaker, we didn’t get an appropriate reinforcement, not down to the Board ‘penny pinching’ in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Tell you what if Jakuibiak and Allegria were anywhere near our top targets McCall deserves shot. I highly suspect neither player was any where near the top of our target list, I heard it from McCall at a meet the manager that one of our targets in January was a (striker)  joining on a full time basis.

That never happened, so I’m assuming the board were a part of us not getting who we wanted in. 

I don’t particularly enjoy getting loans in from, Celtic-Rangers. Mayo is probably the best I remember us having from Rangers and I think him and Holt were probably our most solid pairing at CB last season. Wouldn’t be against him coming back at all.

Kai Kennedy is highly rated at rangers but unless we are paying absolutely hee haw wage wise then it seems a waste, especially with how he get on last season in this division.

I don’t dispute that Alegria and Jakubiak were nowhere near our top targets, but they were who we ended up with.

There are a number of reasons why transfers fall through, Aberdeen and St Mirren changed their managers, a club might change their mind last minute(I think this happened with the goalie situation) and the increased subs from mid January won’t have helped.

I said before I think he was backed but just spent his money poorly. He’s been really unfortunate that both right wingers(Hastie and McAllister - both of whom were on paper good signings, both flopped.)

His signings so far this summer have given me great encouragement and long May that continue.

Did think McMillan looked reasonable first time round, and If a Livingston reject proves to be anything near as effective as Tiffoney then I'll be chuffed.

Other side of the coin, hopefully I'm wrong, but a full back that can play centreback is unlikely to also be an attack minded fullback/wingback. So where does that leave Milne? Are we -planning to attack down the left side and defend down the right? McCall's got previous with that sort of imbalance and I'm not meaning last season's folly when we played without a wide right midfielder. 

Good tho' he was, Tiffoney was hampered last season by the opposition easily doubling up on him as we had no real threat from the other flank. Unless McCall is planning to play Milne as a wide right midfielder, which I really doubt, to play a balanced side it looks like we're still going to need an attacking midfielder playing wide right AND an attacking fullback. So please tell me McMillan will do the biz going forward as our other right back, Muirhead certainly can't. Christie Elliott can but even if we were to sign him, I doubt he's what you'd call a first team starter.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

By sheer coincidence I saw Mbappe in Edinburgh last night. He truly is world class. I'm talking about Etienne Mbappé the great electric bassist who was playing alongside arguably the greatest living guitarist, John McLaughlin. Most certainly didn't disappoint.