Partick Thistle Women - Season 23/24

Fawlty Towers

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

At the time of the semi-final draw (after the quarter-finals of 12 November) the SWPL stated that the final would take place on the weekend of 23rd/24th March. Subsequent to that, in mid December, they announced that "they had agreed a slot with Sky Sports for the final to be played on Saturday 23rd March with a 3.00 p.m. kick-off". So they, I presume, in agreeing that slot, knew that there was a possibility of a participating club's Men's team having a fixture at the exact same time. The SWPL managing director is quoted in that announcement as saying "that we hope it will encourage a strong attendance, and that it is ideal for local and travelling fans at that time of year".  

Bottom line - we're no' supposed tae be there.

Well God and Brian Graham had different ideas. 

I spotted only yesterday a statement made at the time of setting the cup final date that the SWPL said "the final will be played on Saturday 23rd or Sunday 24th  March"!

So although common sense has prevailed credit should be given to the SWPL for allowing themselves the scope to be flexible.

Well done to all concerned including Hearts and Rangers FC.

C'mon the Jags!

50 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I spotted only yesterday a statement made at the time of setting the cup final date that the SWPL said "the final will be played on Saturday 23rd or Sunday 24th  March"!

So although common sense has prevailed credit should be given to the SWPL for allowing themselves the scope to be flexible.

Well done to all concerned including Hearts and Rangers FC.

C'mon the Jags!

Sorry to disagree. As i said earlier in this thread, in mid December they categorically stated "we are pleased to confirm we have agreed a slot with Sky Sports for Saturday 23 March with a 3.00 kick-off". Now they are "pleased to confirm after consultations with key stakeholders that the Final will take place on Sunday 24 March at 1.30".

I think the credit for this is probably primarily due to the. efforts of Beth Adamson, the PTWFC secretary.

Another big game today away to Montrose - if we win and Aberdeen don't win (they are at home to Rangers) then we are confirmed as being in the top 6 as we will be at least 13 points ahead with only 4 games to the split.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-fixture/montrose-wfc-v-partick-thistle-wfc-28th-january-2024/#match-preview

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Was BBG in the dugout after missing out yesterday?

Don't think he was there going by this (unless he was taking the photo).

https://www.facebook.com/ThistleWFC/?locale=en_GB

Edited by Fawlty Towers
Did not see him hiding in the background - probably why I never won the spot the ball competitions!

Not, perhaps understandably, at our best today, but a second successive top six finish is no mean feat. 

Last year there was a real celebratory moment. Finishing top six was the  achievement and was acknowledged accordingly.

This time it's merely a staging post for what is to come. We want to try and push Hibs and Hearts for 4th and 5th. That top six isn't seen as the be-all see-all of our season is a sign of the increasing maturity of PTWFC as a club. 

Cup Final to come. Still in the Scottish Cup. It's an exciting time. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tom Hosie said:

Not, perhaps understandably, at our best today, but a second successive top six finish is no mean feat. 

Last year there was a real celebratory moment. Finishing top six was the  achievement and was acknowledged accordingly.

This time it's merely a staging post for what is to come. We want to try and push Hibs and Hearts for 4th and 5th. That top six isn't seen as the be-all see-all of our season is a sign of the increasing maturity of PTWFC as a club. 

Cup Final to come. Still in the Scottish Cup. It's an exciting time. 

You will know better than I but it looks like we are better placed going in to the split compared to last season when we had less squad depth and were carrying some injuries which was compounded with some suspensions and players on loan unable to play against their parent clubs.

Splitting the Edinburgh teams is definitely on and given the split has you playing the other teams home and away finishing above them is not out of the question.

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

You will know better than I but it looks like we are better placed going in to the split compared to last season when we had less squad depth and were carrying some injuries which was compounded with some suspensions and players on loan unable to play against their parent clubs.

Top six, post split, is very demanding on part-time sides. You are essentially playing midweek/Sunday for the last months of the season. 

We ran both Celtic and Glasgow City very, very close post split last season, but it was a struggle at times with a small squad. 

There's real strength in depth this time - three top notch signings coming in during January - not just in numbers but in quality too. 

That's going to be needed. Yes, catching the two Edinburgh sides, or even splitting them, will be difficult but it can be done. 

Edited by Tom Hosie

On 1/24/2024 at 2:28 PM, QXBoy said:

Sorry to disagree. As i said earlier in this thread, in mid December they categorically stated "we are pleased to confirm we have agreed a slot with Sky Sports for Saturday 23 March with a 3.00 kick-off". Now they are "pleased to confirm after consultations with key stakeholders that the Final will take place on Sunday 24 March at 1.30".

I think the credit for this is probably primarily due to the. efforts of Beth Adamson, the PTWFC secretary.

Well I don't disagree with you but I also know what I read and I have reported that accurately.

As far as Beth is concerned I am sure she oresented Brian Graham's and the Club's  position eloquently and effectively. You will note I did summarise by saying well done to all involved.

The final 4 fixtures are shown below. If all goes acvording to plan 5th place post split is a definitely possible.

Jags v Spartans could be tricky. Hearts away to Dundee utd could be their tricky game while Hibs away to the Jags will be a hard game for them. It could all come down to the Jags v Hibs to decide 5th place.

Hibs v Dundee Utd, Celtic, Jags & Rangers

Hearts v Rangers, Aberdeen, Montrose & Dundee Utd

Jags v Spartans (A), Rangers (H). Hibs (H) & Celtic (A).

Assumption 1. Hibs beat Dundee Utd and we beat Spartans;

Assumption 2. Neither Hibs or Jags don't take any points from Rangers and Celtic 

I haven't made any assumptions about Hearts as I expect them to win 3 of there last 4 games.

If these assumptions are correct then 5th place post split will be secured As follows:

4th Hearts 42 points

5th Jags 39 points

6th Hibs 38 points.

C'mon the Jags