Worst Gig Ever

Meister Jag

A mate has just sent me a text to say he was at the Paul Weller gig in Glasgow and that it was sh** and a total waste of money (£40 a ticket rings a bell but I could be wrong on that one). I've seen the Modfather a few times and have mixed feelings about him live; as I did about The Jam who used to seriously short-change fans with a 40-minute on and off set that included PW rambling a lot of sh** whilst out of his head on whatever was his drug of choice back then. But any excuse to dig out the Harrington, 501's and cherry red Doc's. :blush:

What's the worst gig you've ever been at? I'll start the ball rolling with Generation X - I've never seen so many bottles accurately aimed at a wan*** with funny peroxide hair in my life. Reminded me of trips down to Cappielow in the old days and of respective fans trying to recreate Agincourt in the shed down there. Happy days...

The Eagles at the Apollo on 23rd March 1977.

I kid you not, I would have been better spending the £3.50 on a carry out and listening to the albums back home.

They were the absolute pits.

I'll raise you Captain Beefheart at the Greens/Apollo, early to mid-seventies. The twat turned up (oh, we were so grateful) more than an hour late, came on stage and babbled some pish for around half a hour or so, then f*cked off, leaving the implausibly nomenclatured 'magic band' to close out the 'gig'.

In terms of value, we only paid the bouncers a quid to get in, as had become the standard bung in those days, but we still felt suitably burgled/raped. :thumbdown:

Dory Previn at the Apollo around 1977. :yawn:

- the former wife of Andre Previn, whom he'd just ditched for Mia Farrow, treated a couple of dozen of us rattling around in the vastness of the Apollo to the cheery songs from her angst-ridden breakup album - Mythical Kings and Iguanas.

Got dragged along by the then Mrs Skwerr - beginning of the end for us, too. :partyhat:

Public Enemy in the Academy about 4 or 5 years ago, a band that I love so much were unbelievably poor, terrible set list, terrible sounds, pathetic effort put in by all concerned.

Bad Religion gig about 7 or 8 years ago, can't remember where it was but the sound was miles off the whole way through and it was hopeless.

Seen a few howlers at Festivals, 50 Cent was garbage at Leeds, Ozzy was murder at Ozzfest, some band called Amen were the pits at Donnington although it was brightened up by the lead singer smacked out his head climbing about 40 feet in the air on the scaffolding at the side and falling head first onto the stage.

Simple Minds at the Apollo September 81 - loved seeing the band grow since seeing their first ever gig supporting a reggae band (Black slate or Steel Pulse) at Satellite City, but the first gig at the Apollo was literally painful to listen to as the sound was so awful, one of only 3 concerts I've left early. First and last time they played there.

Most disappointing concert was in December 1972 when Zep played the Playhouse. Pompous and boring.

Dory Previn at the Apollo around 1977. :yawn:

- the former wife of Andre Previn, whom he'd just ditched for Mia Farrow, treated a couple of dozen of us rattling around in the vastness of the Apollo to the cheery songs from her angst-ridden breakup album - Mythical Kings and Iguanas.

Got dragged along by the then Mrs Skwerr - beginning of the end for us, too. :partyhat:

Shame, because that's a brilliant album, imo.

Got to be Belle and Sebastian at the Barras in about 2005, for me.

They turned up, fannied around playing only for themselves, fcuked up more than one song (but oh, how they laughed), and the audience were all tossers as well. It was as if everyone had just met again after 10-years. I hate when people constantly talk throgh a gig.

Anyway, sorry for dragging it in to luvvies territory ...

badly drawn boy in portland, oregon in about 2004 or 2005 or so.

kept on messing up and whinging and moaning about it. apparently his granddad had just died and he was taking his poor performance to heart. there was some positive banter coming from the audience but he just couldn't pull it together and started getting testy and rude. i left after the third attempt at playing the same song.

at first i gave him the benefit due to him grieving, but then i remembered that when my granddad died, i went to work and sucked it up because i had to pay my rent. but then, i'm not a tortured artist, so what do i know.

• Members

Certainly not the worst gig ever but definitely one of the strangest. Went to see Echo & The Bunnymen last night and there was no lighting on the band for the whole gig! They were just silhouetted from behind, it could have been anyone up there! Spoiled an otherwise cracking gig for me.

They turned up, fannied around playing only for themselves, fcuked up more than one song (but oh, how they laughed), and the audience were all tossers as well. It was as if everyone had just met again after 10-years. I hate when people constantly talk throgh a gig.

Me too, whether it's the audience or the musicians. One thing I loved about Pink Floyd was not a word from them between songs. Just the music (and show).

badly drawn boy in portland, oregon in about 2004 or 2005 or so.

kept on messing up and whinging and moaning about it. apparently his granddad had just died and he was taking his poor performance to heart. there was some positive banter coming from the audience but he just couldn't pull it together and started getting testy and rude. i left after the third attempt at playing the same song.

at first i gave him the benefit due to him grieving, but then i remembered that when my granddad died, i went to work and sucked it up because i had to pay my rent. but then, i'm not a tortured artist, so what do i know.

ha, small world. My brother was doing sound for him at that time and I remember him telling the story of that gig. I'm sure the words 'drinking problem' were also, perhaps, alluded to.

One of my worst gigs was John Martyn at the Pavilion in 80s/ early 90s. Just not my cup of tea at all. It was one of those free ticket jobs with a mate. Flaming hippy nonsense (bearing in mind that I like Hawkwind, but that's a different matter entirely). Who could forget Wet Wet Wet in the Qm before they were famous an' all, sheesh.

One of my worst gigs was John Martyn at the Pavilion in 80s/ early 90s. Just not my cup of tea at all. It was one of those free ticket jobs with a mate. Flaming hippy nonsense (bearing in mind that I like Hawkwind, but that's a different matter entirely). Who could forget Wet Wet Wet in the Qm before they were famous an' all, sheesh.

I'm genuinely speechless!

Ach well, you can't please everybody, it's true.

Everything at Motherwell Civic Centre = shite

Funnily enough the worst Fall gig I ever saw (a moderately crowded field) was at Motherwell Civic Centre. I think a reincarnated Elvis backed by Hendrix and the Beatles would be hard pushed to whip up much of an atmosphere there.

As already mentioned.. kills it for me. Don't mind a proper thanks and introduction to the band at the end of a gig just before the encore's but no need for it at any other time.

Sopt on Sam.

Was slightly worried about the Pogues tonight. I shouldn't have as they were superb. One of those bands (like The Fall) where it is always a chance whether you see them on a good night or not.

Saw the Pogues twice, brilliant both times. Saw Shane MacGowan and the Popes once at the Old Fruitmarket, meh! Not so good <_<

Never really experienced particularly bad gigs, but I once saw Ash before RHCP at Murrayfield, they were utter baws, had better atmosphere at a funeral. Then N.E.R.D came on after and the crowd went mental... I was quite surprised.

Not actually a big fan of RHCP, got dragged along. Wish I didn't bother actually.

my mates were going to Genesis at the NEC in Birmingham. I said I'd chip in for petrol and left early so I could see Leicester v. Ipswich (big Ipswich fan).

Ended up getting in to the gig for free (invisible touch tour). Jesus it was dire.

Worst in Glasgow- Ryan Adams at the Barrowlands. 2 years before he'd done a stonking show at the QMU which was one of the best gigs I've been to. He just went into rock star mode and boy did it suck.