Next Season

Jaggernaut

I'm one of those types who feels much better about everything when Thistle win and who fears the worst for the club, the environment, and indeed the future of life itself when Thistle lose. So with that in mind, here's what I'm thinking about next season.

It might be a cracking competition, with I reckon 4 or 5 teams in with a realistic shout of winning the division, and teams even more likely to pick up and drop points against others.

And I reckon that we'll be one of those 4 or 5 teams. With one or two likely exceptions (Archie, Rowson if he stays) we're now a young team (no more Sid, Jackie, Maxi, Robbo, I guess), and what we've seen of the youngsters that have still to feature to any real extent looks promising. Campbell already looks like a permanent member of the 1st team squad, and he sets us goals. If McBeth regains the form he had before his injury then it's clear that we have another good, creative player. Bannigan is bound to come back in better shape and eager for 1st team action. Fraser has already scored for the 1st team....

Doolan and Grehan are continuing to forge a formidable partnership up front, though that needs more time to take shape, and Erskine is getter better and better ("Erskine for Scotland!" :D)

Bring on season 2011-2012!

I'm one of those types who feels much better about everything when Thistle win and who fears the worst for the club, the environment, and indeed the future of life itself when Thistle lose. So with that in mind, here's what I'm thinking about next season.

It might be a cracking competition, with I reckon 4 or 5 teams in with a realistic shout of winning the division, and teams even more likely to pick up and drop points against others.

And I reckon that we'll be one of those 4 or 5 teams. With one or two likely exceptions (Archie, Rowson if he stays) we're now a young team (no more Sid, Jackie, Maxi, Robbo, I guess), and what we've seen of the youngsters that have still to feature to any real extent looks promising. Campbell already looks like a permanent member of the 1st team squad, and he sets us goals. If McBeth regains the form he had before his injury then it's clear that we have another good, creative player. Bannigan is bound to come back in better shape and eager for 1st team action. Fraser has already scored for the 1st team....

Doolan and Grehan are continuing to forge a formidable partnership up front, though that needs more time to take shape, and Erskine is getter better and better ("Erskine for Scotland!" :D)

Bring on season 2011-2012!

You are the Chris Erskine of the forum :lol: hopelessly pessimistic one week then wonderfully optimistic the next :P

Incidentally I agree with your post :thumbsup2:

I think that most other clubs will have to endure the pain of budget cuts similar to ourselves this season , and that will make the league very even next season.

It can only be positive that we have a number of young guys coming through and not looking out of their depth, we jsut to resign a couple of the older guys , shift a few guys out and get a midfielder who can create and we can compete(hopefully!)

I suffer from a condition where I can be both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time.

:thumbsup2: With my glass half full the league has all the makings of being tight and ultra competitive. Apart from whoever wins the play offs, who I imagine will be strong favourites for relegation, it'll be difficult to separate the other nine clubs. Assuming no Dunfermline and neither Dundee nor Livi act silly buggers (big assumption of course) then I can't see an out and out favourite to win the league. Queens have horrendous problems and perhaps Falkirk could join them. Hamilton won't buy their way out of the league and I wouldn't be expecting too much from Morton, Raith & Ross Co (assuming they stay up).

:thumbdown: With my glass half empty I worry about the pressure on the team to perform. I feel that if they don't our crowd will continue to dwindle. We'll still be stuck with the repetitive boredom of a ten team league. Hamilton and Livinghell bring a very poor support as will the play off winners (unless it's Ayr). The state of our pitch vastly affects entertainment value and so without good results more folk will drift away.

Poor start and results against cowdungbeath and the binos turned people off. Basically we were crap until just before Christmas then we started showing a bit of bottle 1-1 Rosscounty at Firhill). Also we get Hardie when not fully recovered from injury who then goes to a team with a non-existent midfield and turns them into probable title winners. But for a few tweaks in fate and fortune here and there we could have been higher up the ladder.

Next season, who knows, but I do have faith in the manager and players.

Edited by jagfox

One thing in our favour is that we've been living with a diminishing budget for a while now. What I mean is some of these teams who will be feeling it next season could struggle while we at least are used to just getting on with it.

Of course luck will play a large part in how things go ... we just don't know what will happen ... but if we do get our fair share of luck, well why not give us a chance in the chase?

The best thing about next season is that it isn't this season. This must be easily the dullest season I can recall. When was the last game that anyone genuinely approached with anticipation for solely football reasons and really meant something ( ie. Annan style games don't count where the keen anticipation has more to do with the booze cruise possibilities )

The best thing about next season is that it isn't this season. This must be easily the dullest season I can recall. When was the last game that anyone genuinely approached with anticipation for solely football reasons and really meant something ( ie. Annan style games don't count where the keen anticipation has more to do with the booze cruise possibilities )

The poor 1st half of the season largely contributed to the dullness. I've started looking forward to matches again just for the entertainment factor, since a few of our youngsters have been starting to play and do well.

I can't put my finger on it but i have a good feeling bout next season. The bulk of the team will still be very young and we shouldn't place too much pressure on them but things look promising.

I want to see Jackie get the job. I feel he has a lot to offer the job and I feel he'd have the respect of the playing squad.

Will have to see who does what during the summer but I'm really looking forward to next season

I can't put my finger on it but i have a good feeling bout next season. The bulk of the team will still be very young and we shouldn't place too much pressure on them but things look promising.

I want to see Jackie get the job. I feel he has a lot to offer the job and I feel he'd have the respect of the playing squad.

Will have to see who does what during the summer but I'm really looking forward to next season

^ ^ ^ ^

:thumbsup2:

I think finishing 4th would be a big boost to the young lads that have contributed during the second half of the season, they'll see they've made a difference to the team and should be buzzing about getting a proper pre-season under their belts. I'm definitely optimistic, like has been said already other clubs will have their budgets cut too and at least we're a wee step ahead of some in bleeding youngsters.

I think finishing 4th would be a big boost to the young lads that have contributed during the second half of the season, they'll see they've made a difference to the team and should be buzzing about getting a proper pre-season under their belts. I'm definitely optimistic, like has been said already other clubs will have their budgets cut too and at least we're a wee step ahead of some in bleeding youngsters.

That's not very complimentary, is it?

:rolleyes:

I'm more optimistic than I was 12 months ago. Nothing to do with the change of manager but more the combination of youth players coming through and the improved state of play off the pitch.

I'm confident some more substantial funding will come our way as the economic hangover clears.

Teamwise, I'd like to see the following team complimented with a couple more signings to mount a serious and realistic push for at least a top 3 finish next year;

GK - Scott Fox

RB - Paul Paton

LB - Paddy Boyle (still a chance he'll struggle to find the right club (remember the Tuffey saga)

CB - Willie Kinniburgh

CB - Alan Archibald (I reckon he'll sign again)

CB - Conrad Balatoni (on loan or signed if released by Hearts)

CM - David Rowson (like Archie, I think it will suit him to stay)

CM - Iain Flannigan (not sure what the coaching staff think, but he shows signs of a good player)

CM - Jamie Campbell

AMF - Stuart Bannigan/Shaun Fraser

AMF - Chris Erskine

CF - Kris Doolan/Martin Grehan

Ryan MacBeth

Keiran Burns

Jordan McGrotty

Ryan Scully

No idea who we could attract but if there was a few other young players around who could be added to crop we have, then I'd be happy. This season has shown that the coaches are doing something right.

I'm more optimistic than I was 12 months ago. Nothing to do with the change of manager but more the combination of youth players coming through and the improved state of play off the pitch.

I'm confident some more substantial funding will come our way as the economic hangover clears.

Teamwise, I'd like to see the following team complimented with a couple more signings to mount a serious and realistic push for at least a top 3 finish next year;

GK - Scott Fox

RB - Paul Paton

LB - Paddy Boyle (still a chance he'll struggle to find the right club (remember the Tuffey saga)

CB - Willie Kinniburgh

CB - Alan Archibald (I reckon he'll sign again)

CB - Conrad Balatoni (on loan or signed if released by Hearts)

CM - David Rowson (like Archie, I think it will suit him to stay)

CM - Iain Flannigan (not sure what the coaching staff think, but he shows signs of a good player)

CM - Jamie Campbell

AMF - Stuart Bannigan/Shaun Fraser

AMF - Chris Erskine

CF - Kris Doolan/Martin Grehan

Ryan MacBeth

Keiran Burns

Jordan McGrotty

Ryan Scully

No idea who we could attract but if there was a few other young players around who could be added to crop we have, then I'd be happy. This season has shown that the coaches are doing something right.

That's not a bad start for a squad. Based on Saturday's performance I think that Tommy Steward would be an excellent addition as an attacking midfielder. I also think that Paul Cairney should be retained.

Will save money if a Steward can double as a player.

Feckin magic, that one.

Brian would be pleased. Perhaps Jessie could persuade him to take a wee part-time job in the Aitken Suite too? Then when he failed to score against Airdrie in the cup, we could call him a right Bar Steward....

(Gets coat, hat and gloves)