Just In

dpj

No chance he would have saved the penalty. It was a screamer.

You can never say, though doubt anyone would have saved Cairney's penalty.

as smith decided to sacrifice McIntosh instead of Lockwood, then have to assume he thought that was the best option and therefore Lockwood instead of McIntosh would not have made any significant difference.

In summary, No & No!

Ta :thumbsup2:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The manager's thoughts:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/october_2011/after_match_reaction

Seems to be an accurate and sensible analysis (as usual) from Jackie.

Now instead of beating ourselves up over not playing well but winning lets focus on getting as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday to see us (division's top scorers) against the team top of the division!

The manager's thoughts:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/october_2011/after_match_reaction

Seems to be an accurate and sensible analysis (as usual) from Jackie.

Now instead of beating ourselves up over not playing well but winning lets focus on getting as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday to see us (division's top scorers) against the team top of the division!

The selection problem (Scully or Fox) for next week seems like a delicate one. Fox was ill yesterday, and should be fine for the next match. I don't think he deserves to be dropped. But if he comes back in and does well, how long will Scully need to wait, and will he want to?

Scully has to keep his place - surely?

McNamara will be nothing but a hypocrite if he's challenging Scully all season to push Fox for number 1, then drops the kid after a performance like that. Fox's form hasn't been good enough this season, we've all agreed that had we a more experienced reserve keeper, Scott would have been out the team weeks ago.

Has to be Scully, absolutely no question in mind. Yeah some of you may say he's too young and will make a mistake, it may well be the case he'll need to come back out the team at some point, but he'll be full of confidence, we want the youngsters to come to Thistle thinking they can break into the team and stay there, not one game a season. What message would that send out? I don't think it's protecting him to drop him, it's harming him, got to expose him to a run in the first team.

McNamara will be nothing but a hypocrite if he's challenging Scully all season to push Fox for number 1, then drops the kid after a performance like that. Fox's form hasn't been good enough this season, we've all agreed that had we a more experienced reserve keeper, Scott would have been out the team weeks ago.

Has to be Scully, absolutely no question in mind. Yeah some of you may say he's too young and will make a mistake, it may well be the case he'll need to come back out the team at some point, but he'll be full of confidence, we want the youngsters to come to Thistle thinking they can break into the team and stay there, not one game a season. What message would that send out? I don't think it's protecting him to drop him, it's harming him, got to expose him to a run in the first team.

You've got me thinking pretty much the same thing.

agree with most of what you say but a hypocrite, cant remember jackie saying he would keep his place if he had a good game :thinking:

agree with most of what you say but a hypocrite, cant remember jackie saying he would keep his place if he had a good game :thinking:

Well I would have thought that should be a given? He's been quoted a few times saying he's looking for Scully to challenge Fox. My point is simply that the boy has had 2 games for us, 2 shut outs, and saved us yesterday. The kids have to have an incentive to train hard, knowing it'll pay off by getting a game. Otherwise, what's the point?

Well I would have thought that should be a given? He's been quoted a few times saying he's looking for Scully to challenge Fox. My point is simply that the boy has had 2 games for us, 2 shut outs, and saved us yesterday. The kids have to have an incentive to train hard, knowing it'll pay off by getting a game. Otherwise, what's the point?

like i said agree with most of what you say but yesterday the defense seemed IMHO to make a major effort to protect him ( well in the first half anyway)which they don't for fox also do you drop him straight away if he has a bad game or hope he has a good game the next and maybe destroy his confidence?

i cant say i know the answer which is why i am happy that it is Jackie making it and not me :blush:

Edited by jaggybunnet

Cracking three points yesterday. I, like a lot of the other fans around me feared the worst when Scully's name was announced over the tannoy. My initial thought was "aww naw", but I couldn't have been more wrong. He had an outstanding match and he showed a lot of maturity.

We were the better team by far in the first 20 minutes when it was 11 v 11, but struggled to cope with Dundee at times when they were down to 10. It looked like a definate penalty from where I was sitting, but if Erskine says the referee sent off the wrong man, then fair enough. It's about time we got a lucky break against that mob and if I could have hand picked a Dundee player to be sent off, I would have chosen Rab "Seville" Douglas straight away. Despite being reknowned for being a ropey keeper with a liking for Lurpack gloves, he always seems to play out of his skin against us.

After Dundee were reduced to ten it seemed to galvanise them if anything and we started to give the ball away cheaply (Hutton being particularly guilty of this)and it took several magnificant saves from Scully to keep us in it. I thought Archie and Balatoni did well at keeping Steven Milne quiet and they dealt well with the high balls well enough, but their distribution was suicidal at times. Rowson was immense as usual and his work rate and fitness levels are unbelievablr for a man of his age. Cairney has really won me over with his performances this season. I wanted rid of him last season. He looked overweight, unfit and was mostly anonymous in any games I watched him in last season. He is now looking a lot leaner, fitter and again, his work rate is immense. We can also rely on him to chip in with his share of the goals. Christie Elliot impressed me again. He never scored, but his pacey runs behind the defence are always a problem to the opposition and if he keeps up his workrate, he'll score plenty this season.

The dissapointing thing for me though was our inability to break Dundee down with the extra man advantage. We also gave the ball away cheaply far too often and a team with a better strikeforce could and probably would have punished us. Dundee managed to pin us back in our own half for long periods and the old cliche of "it's harder to play against ten men" was certainly applicable yesterday. Another slight moan was our fans getting on our players backs a little too often in the second half. I know Dundee were putting us under pressure for long periods in the second half, but it was obvious that they were bursting a gut and using their sense of injustice to drive them on. Idiots shouting and calling our players useless and such like doesn't help us in anyway. Some halfwit next to me even shouted "change it McNamara". The genius offered no clue as to what this obviously necessary change was.

This was a shame as I thought we travelled in decent numbers despite the awful facilities and disgraceful stewarding which we have become accustomed to in our visits to Dundee. We made a fair bit of noise as well.

The stewarding didn't seem quite as bad as it normally is, but there did seem to be a disproportionate amount of police in our stand and the stewards seemed desperate for something to kick off, especially the baldy scumbag in the yellow jacket who has previous for stirring up trouble with Jags fans resulting in people being arrested.

Pretty sure if The Fox is fit he will be in goals next week

It's a big game and I think most managers would opt for the more experienced keeper in this situation.Fox absolutely needs a kick in arse this season,he's not the goalie as we know he can be and he needs to respond to Scully's challenge.I feel Fox is at a bit of a crossroads in his career, at times he's looked as if he'll play at international level and at other times he looks like Colin Stewart.If Scully now looks ready for a step up Foxy cant continue to play the way he has been doing.The competition will only benefit the team.

It's a big game and I think most managers would opt for the more experienced keeper in this situation.Fox absolutely needs a kick in arse this season,he's not the goalie as we know he can be and he needs to respond to Scully's challenge.I feel Fox is at a bit of a crossroads in his career, at times he's looked as if he'll play at international level and at other times he looks like Colin Stewart.If Scully now looks ready for a step up Foxy cant continue to play the way he has been doing.The competition will only benefit the team.

Agreed. Scully playing so well yesterday should send the message to Fox that any more f*ck-ups a la those against QOS and Hamilton could lead to him being dropped. I don't know if those mistakes came about as a result of complacency but if so, that is a luxury he can no longer afford with a viable number two ready to step in and take his place.

I don't think there's been much doubt that Scully has been a very good shot stopper for quite a while. This time last season Shepherd was perhaps preferred as both his positioning and physique were ahead of Ryan.

I believe tho' that Hinchy has long thought of Scully as having real potential.

I imagine it'll be a joint decision between Jackie & Hinchy on who plays next week. Not being there yesterday I don't know how commanding Scully was or how his all round performance was rated. If the parts of his game that Hinchy thought were needing worked on have improved sufficiently then I see little reason why he won't start. I doubt that the quality of his fine saves yesterday will be the major factor when choosing who goes in goal.

I don't think there's been much doubt that Scully has been a very good shot stopper for quite a while. This time last season Shepherd was perhaps preferred as both his positioning and physique were ahead of Ryan.

I imagine it'll be a joint decision between Jackie & Hinchy on who plays next week. Not being there yesterday I don't know how commanding Scully was or how his all round performance was rated. If the parts of his game that Hinchy thought were needing worked on have improved sufficiently then I see little reason why he won't start. I doubt that the quality of his fine saves yesterday will be the major factor when choosing who goes in goal.

He made some good saves yesterday and coped well with a dodgy passback. To me he looks a bit skinny, not unlike the lad Christie that played for Stirling Albion a few years back. He maybe needs to get onto the free weights now he's 19 and stopped growing upwards.

He seemed quite in command of the box, dealt with the few crosses with no real problem, and gave the outfield players deserved pelters on a couple of occasions when their pussyfooting around led to Dundee mounting another attack.

Strange how quickly things change. Fox was being described as best keeper (bar Rough or Walker) that we have had...now, he's a dud in some quarters. Sure he made a couple of mistakes this season, and yes he hasn't performed to the same high level as last season. For me, if he is fit next week he should start.

He is our number one, we're playing the league leaders and need to ensure we have our best team on the park. What Ryan has done, is announce to us all, that he can be relied upon to step in when needed. At 19 yrs of age and one day, he has plenty of time to establish himself as our number one. The fact we have shown faith in him and have him on the bench each week should be boosting his confidence.

It is good, however, to be having a discussion as to who to play in goals for next week. for a few years we never had any competition for the goalkeeper jersey.....it would appear we now do.

Strange how quickly things change. Fox was being described as best keeper (bar Rough or Walker) that we have had...now, he's a dud in some quarters. Sure he made a couple of mistakes this season, and yes he hasn't performed to the same high level as last season. For me, if he is fit next week he should start.

He is our number one, we're playing the league leaders and need to ensure we have our best team on the park. What Ryan has done, is announce to us all, that he can be relied upon to step in when needed. At 19 yrs of age and one day, he has plenty of time to establish himself as our number one. The fact we have shown faith in him and have him on the bench each week should be boosting his confidence.

It is good, however, to be having a discussion as to who to play in goals for next week. for a few years we never had any competition for the goalkeeper jersey.....it would appear we now do.

Or if we did, it was because there was often debate over who was the less unreliable of the two.

On balance, I think you're probably right, and Fox should be back in for Saturday.

Ryan saved us yesterday without a doubt, but Fox is our number 1 and yes he has made mistakes, its just a pain that his mistakes seem to be highlighted more because he is the keeper, plenty of our team make mistakes, look at yesterdays game, and he should be picked, and its got nothing to do with Ryans age, if i remember right, our best keeper was about that age when he was the 1st choice keeper.... Roughie, and i am sure we would always want our best team out, no matter what position they play, when we play, bar suspensions and injuries, I am sure if fox has a very drastic dip in form, which some people will say hes having at the moment,Ryan will be called upon and he will be judged on these appearances and mistakes, which he will make.

Good luck to whoever is between the posts on saturday, think they have to be in good form on Saturday if we are to get the 3 points

He made some good saves yesterday and coped well with a dodgy passback. To me he looks a bit skinny, not unlike the lad Christie that played for Stirling Albion a few years back. He maybe needs to get onto the free weights now he's 19 and stopped growing upwards.

There is no need to build bulk if you're a goalie, it would only slow you down weight wise. Working on plyometrics is generally more important, though should be used alongside weights, building speed and strength.

Roughie went through a ropey spell when he was maybe 22 or 23. John Arrol replaced him for a while then unluckly broke his leg or he may have kept Roughie out for longer & who knows what would have happened. Foxy's a good keeper whose just lost a bit of form, the best thing for him is to have competition and if Scully can give us that then that's great for us. As for next week, Jackie has a big decision to make!!!

plyometrics

I'm too lazy to wikipedia this!!

Disappointed at the attitude towards Fox, whom it appears is guaranteed a game by many of your reckoning regardless of form. I just think we've a chance to show we're a club who trusts it's youth, and rewards promising performances with further opportunities. Youngsters won't come to Thistle if they don't believe they can get in the side.

I take on board you don't want to ruin a prospects confidence, especially a keeper, as a mistake at that age could prove devastating to his confidence. But a keeper is hardly a position you can bring on for a 30 minute run out, when will he be ready? We need to give him a chance. But I will support Jackie/Hinchy to arrive at the correct decision and I will support it regardless.