Hartson In Todays Sun

Lindau

I do genuinely believe there is a more aggressive approach taken by those who want to have a go. I've said in previous posts that that having differing opinions is good, there is just ways of going about getting your point across. It's certainly the way in which some of the criticism is done that I don't like, not in the main, the fact that some want to complain.

I agree that some of the language that gets used to describe fellow supporters is not appropriate, even when the insults aren't directed at specific individuals. "Fuds", "fannies", "cretins" etc should be kept for the playground.

Edited: No I do NOT mean that schoolchildren should use such terms! But that's the kind of level I'd like to see kept off the forum.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that some of the language that gets used to describe fellow supporters is not appropriate, even when the insults aren't directed at specific individuals. "Fuds", "fannies", "cretins" etc should be kept for the playground.

Edited: No I do NOT mean that schoolchildren should use such terms! But that's the kind of level I'd like to see kept off the forum.

Totally agree.

But without a little criticism now and then it's easy to slip into a malaise that everything is hunk-dorey when it plainly isn't. Maybe it's an age thing? Maybe its that I recall a Firhill a hell of a lot fuller than it is nowadays. I remember a four-sided stadium, a half-decent team on the pitch. A vocal and bouncing Jags support. When, for a team of Thistle's standing it was unacceptable to lose to the likes of Ross County, Berwick Rangers and Ferranti Thistle.

I generally have a very positive outlook, but latterly I'm losing enthusiasm for the fare on display onfield and the crap that's happening off-field. Looking at the evidence I firmly believe that under this untried manager we're only going downwards and that worries me. So while some folk may argue it's best to just sit and applaud and say there's signs of improvement, I'm afraid I can't concur. Unless of course I'm watching Thistle in some sort of alternate universe from everyone else.

The only things I don't like about McNamara is that he tolerates Paton and Erskine.

Everything else he is doing is fine for now, indeed we have taken 4 points from our last 2 away games which I know is just a small step but its a positive one all the same, we also have not conceded a goal.

:o

C'mon guys, get real. He is the manager because he was a professional footballer (and knows more about football than us), the club is skint and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. We also have to give the manager time. Have we lost the sense of patience these days? Jackie Mac is working with players who are for the main, at their true level, which is why they ain't at Barcelona. Get real and get behind the team and management.

C'mon guys, get real. He is the manager because he was a professional footballer (and knows more about football than us), the club is skint and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. We also have to give the manager time. Have we lost the sense of patience these days? Jackie Mac is working with players who are for the main, at their true level, which is why they ain't at Barcelona. Get real and get behind the team and management.

Well said Sir.

Ignoring the end of last season, this is MacNamara's first attempt at management, i.e. a new job. How many of us set the heather alight in the first 16 weeks of a new job? takes a year or so just to get our feet under the table. Considering the restraints he has to work under he needs not only time but our support.

I think he's doing ok.

Something that all managers need is a little bit of time. As said already, Lambie needed three years to get us out of division two; McCoist could have been out on his arse earlier this season and now he's miles away at the top of the SPL (albeit the poorest SPL in donkeys); Ferguson was within a match or so of losing his job 20 odd years ago.

Obviously you can't compare McNamara with any of them except maybe McCoist (leaving a fairly flimsy argument), but I'd wait until the league settles and it becomes clearer if we're looking at mid-table mediocrity or a real struggle against relegation. We're currently four points off of Raith Rovers in 9th and three points off of Livvy in third, so I can't really see what the worry is. So far we have 16 points from 13 games, if we can maintain that type of form, which we probably will, we'll be on 44 points come May and that will be safe enough.

Being the sad person I am I had a look at the stats for the first 13 league games of last season compared to this season:

Last season: W4 D1 L8 F11 A20 Pts13 (8th in table) and average attendance of 2,236

This season: W4 D4 L5 F19 A14 Pts16 (7th in table) and average attendance of 2,708

Comparing the first 4 games of the season with the first 4 of this quarter:

1st Quarter: 4 points, 4 goals scored and 5 conceded (3 home games, 1 away)

2nd Quarter: 5 points, 3 goals scored and 3 conceded (2 home games, 2 away)

In my opinion this does not constitute a downward spiral or a reason to be thinking about getting rid of the manager.

Being the sad person I am I had a look at the stats for the first 13 league games of last season compared to this season:

Last season: W4 D1 L8 F11 A20 Pts13 (8th in table) and average attendance of 2,236

This season: W4 D4 L5 F19 A14 Pts16 (7th in table) and average attendance of 2,708

Comparing the first 4 games of the season with the first 4 of this quarter:

1st Quarter: 4 points, 4 goals scored and 5 conceded (3 home games, 1 away)

2nd Quarter: 5 points, 3 goals scored and 3 conceded (2 home games, 2 away)

In my opinion this does not constitute a downward spiral or a reason to be thinking about getting rid of the manager.

Must just be me that feels we're not improving :unknw:

But the stats don't lie. I had no idea we'd improved so dramatically.

All is good with the world then

C'mon of course all is not great. I'd love jags to be riding high at the top of the league. The ground to be a 4 sided stadium, great atmosphere at every match. To name but a few things.

All is far from great about ptfc, but they have been a damn sight worse. I would rather try to focus on the positives and try to be a bit optimistic about the future as opposed to continually bringing up the past. I'd rather give Jackie a lot more time than 12 or so games to prove himself. Of course results overall could have been better but the facts are they also could have been a lot worse.

I'm certain of one thing, the more people turn on the manager and the players, the less the chances are that we will see any improvement on the park.

C'mon of course all is not great. I'd love jags to be riding high at the top of the league. The ground to be a 4 sided stadium, great atmosphere at every match. To name but a few things.

All is far from great about ptfc, but they have been a damn sight worse. I would rather try to focus on the positives and try to be a bit optimistic about the future as opposed to continually bringing up the past. I'd rather give Jackie a lot more time than 12 or so games to prove himself. Of course results overall could have been better but the facts are they also could have been a lot worse.

I'm certain of one thing, the more people turn on the manager and the players, the less the chances are that we will see any improvement on the park.

Fair comment and as a Jags fan since 1976 I really hope things get better. Sometimes sitting in the JHS I have to wonder though. And it pains me that we are collectively accepting a level of entertainment and a level of success "because that's our lot. That's as good as we in our lowly position can aspire to". If I'm impatient with our manager it's most definitely not (as some folk seem to be implying) because I'm anti-Celtic or some sorta currant bun. If McNamara leads us to promotion I'll gladly eat my words. I have little or no faith at the moment and attending Firhill is rapidly becoming a chore rather than a passion. Being labelled a "troll" or one to be ignored when I fail to be droolingly impressed by the current manager adds to the feeling of detachment. Pollok Juniors are looking like a much more attractive option to me and it saddens me to say it.

Fair comment and as a Jags fan since 1976 I really hope things get better. Sometimes sitting in the JHS I have to wonder though. And it pains me that we are collectively accepting a level of entertainment and a level of success "because that's our lot. That's as good as we in our lowly position can aspire to". If I'm impatient with our manager it's most definitely not (as some folk seem to be implying) because I'm anti-Celtic or some sorta currant bun. If McNamara leads us to promotion I'll gladly eat my words. I have little or no faith at the moment and attending Firhill is rapidly becoming a chore rather than a passion. Being labelled a "troll" or one to be ignored when I fail to be droolingly impressed by the current manager adds to the feeling of detachment. Pollok Juniors are looking like a much more attractive option to me and it saddens me to say it.

Perhaps, and i'm just saying so don't take it as a go, that your choice of words, rubbed some people up the wrong way. They "fought back" and made accusations that were unfair. We've been following the jags for roughly the same time. We've both therefore seen some great times and some awful ones. We are kinda stuck somewhere in the middle just now.

I've had to watch as my dad has stopped going to games and nothing i say or do will bring him back. I'd not want to see or hear about another supporter going down the same path whether i know them or not.

I lost my sense of belonging to something truly special last year. I thought long and hard about staying away for good. In the end I got to know a lot of decent people who restored my belief that being a supporter of Partick Thistle was something to be exceptionally proud of. At the next home game I have the honor of watching my 3 year old son lead the team onto the park against Livingston. I know that day I will feel I am part of the greatest club in the world.

I don't know what the future holds but surely it's worth clinging to the thought that we can win this league again and be in the top flight giving the old firm a beating or two. For every Berwick from this season, think of Celtic at Parkhead, or Hampden in the 90's. Rangers at Firhill and Gerry dancing round Maxwell to make it 3-0. We've done it before....it may take a little time and some gnashing of teeth but we can damn well do it again.

Now, can we stop this nonsense about giving up and get back to bricking it about Culter away on Saturday?

All the best

Alan

I'd rather give Jackie a lot more time than 12 or so games to prove himself. Of course results overall could have been better but the facts are they also could have been a lot worse.

First of all, where are you plucking 12 games from?

The Club Board gave him 5 games to prove himself at the end of last season. He's had 20 since then.

In a period where we had nothing to play for, he secured 2 wins 1 draw and 2 defeats.

That was good enough to be appointed manager.

Now bearing in mind, this was a position open to the public, what was the criteria, what were the Board's expectations?

In the interview process did they say, this is the budget you have at your disposal Mr Manager, we reckon the likes of Dundee, Falkirk n fck knows who else will cut back... what can you do with that budget... we expect you to be sitting with "these" results at Christmas, where do you think you will be???

Are you telling me Jackie was:

A. the most ambitious with the budget offered

B. the most realistic with the budget offered

C. Jackie was the cheapest option

D. He best suits the Boards outlook for Thistle through mediocrity, tedium and abject boredom.

He was then given the job and set about building his team, primarily taking the safe bet, renewing and extending contracts.

To bed them in, in pre season, we played 4 friendlies, loosing 3 and winning 1. and playing some fckin sht football in the 3 defeats.

since then we have played 16 competitive matches, all of them mean something. 5 wins, 4 draws, 7 defeats.

It's middle of the road results partnered by middle of the road displays. look through the just in threads, how many have actually see folk raving about us... Christ we've been that bad, some games don't merit a "just in" and the team sheet thread just keeps whimpering on!

God knows what is on offer is bloody boring, no matter what you read above, i still wouldn't punt him!

Living in Paisley, every week i would listen to how St Mirren fans wanted shot of Danny Lennon! He has built a team over 18 months or so into one of the best footballing teams in the SPL and he has worked his arse off to earn the respect of Paisley and the folk who live there. the st mirren board stood by him, saw his long term plan and backed him.

The problem is, i just don't know if Jackie has it in him to do that with us!

Edited by potty trained

Today's Herald suggests that McNamara might now be starting to face some pressure:

http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/sport/more-scottish-football/mcnamara-puts-value-on-point-as-pressure-grows-1.1134658

Young journalist who has done his homework by looking at the fans forum. Clever lad.

..but maybe not doing enough homework perhaps.

(Kilmarnock 5 v 0 Q o S)

Ayr.........1 v 0 Q o S

Q o S.......0 v 0 Dundee

Falkirk.....1 v 0 Q o S

Raith.......0 v 2 Q o S

Hamilton....3 v 1 Q o S

Q o S....,..0 v 0 Jags

So it's McNamara that's under pressure while it's McPherson that's valiantly struggling but doing a reasonable job on a tight budget. Looks like their attendances have dropped almost 400 on average as well.

First of all, where are you plucking 12 games from?

The Club Board gave him 5 games to prove himself at the end of last season. He's had 20 since then.

In a period where we had nothing to play for, he secured 2 wins 1 draw and 2 defeats.

That was good enough to be appointed manager.

Now bearing in mind, this was a position open to the public, what was the criteria, what were the Board's expectations?

In the interview process did they say, this is the budget you have at your disposal Mr Manager, we reckon the likes of Dundee, Falkirk n fck knows who else will cut back... what can you do with that budget... we expect you to be sitting with "these" results at Christmas, where do you think you will be???

Are you telling me Jackie was:

A. the most ambitious with the budget offered

B. the most realistic with the budget offered

C. Jackie was the cheapest option

D. He best suits the Boards outlook for Thistle through mediocrity, tedium and abject boredom.

He was then given the job and set about building his team, primarily taking the safe bet, renewing and extending contracts.

To bed them in, in pre season, we played 4 friendlies, loosing 3 and winning 1. and playing some fckin sht football in the 3 defeats.

since then we have played 16 competitive matches, all of them mean something. 5 wins, 4 draws, 7 defeats.

It's middle of the road results partnered by middle of the road displays. look through the just in threads, how many have actually see folk raving about us... Christ we've been that bad, some games don't merit a "just in" and the team sheet thread just keeps whimpering on!

God knows what is on offer is bloody boring, no matter what you read above, i still wouldn't punt him!

Living in Paisley, every week i would listen to how St Mirren fans wanted shot of Danny Lennon! He has built a team over 18 months or so into one of the best footballing teams in the SPL and he has worked his arse off to earn the respect of Paisley and the folk who live there. the st mirren board stood by him, saw his long term plan and backed him.

The problem is, i just don't know if Jackie has it in him to do that with us!

Well said

Fantastic Manager and player, if Jackie turns out to be even half as good as Danny then we are doing very well. An absolute gentleman off the field as well. Would this be a good time to remind people that there is a very welcome opportuntiy to thank Danny for his big contribution to Partick Thistle at the Hall of Fame Dinner on friday http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/october_2011/hall_of_fame