Rumour Mill

stuart_adam

McParland, Hart and McMenaminaman would be enough for me. In fact probably not even Hart unless we let an existing midfielder go, given our likely budget.

I suppose it all depends on who leaves in the summer, but I don't want McCall signing too many players and want to see youth given a chance to make an impression next season.

Considering the playing budget is being cut further and we have been told not to expect many if any signings then I dont think you need to wowrry about that

McParland, Hart and McMenaminaman would be enough for me. In fact probably not even Hart unless we let an existing midfielder go, given our likely budget.

McParland seems to have lost his way. He was no great loss to Livi and been no great shakes for Queens. The very fact that he's not on the radar at Palmerston rings alarm bells. I was an admirer of T McP but we'd have to be fairly sure of the root cause behind his fall from grace before offering him a contract. On season 08/09 form he'd be a tremendous signing but :thinking::unknw:

McParland seems to have lost his way. He was no great loss to Livi and been no great shakes for Queens. The very fact that he's not on the radar at Palmerston rings alarm bells. I was an admirer of T McP but we'd have to be fairly sure of the root cause behind his fall from grace before offering him a contract. On season 08/09 form he'd be a tremendous signing but :thinking::unknw:

Agree. And agree with GrantB that we should be inviting him for pre-season and only offer him a deal if we think he'd be a good addition having seen him try out.

I wouldn't say that he was no great loss to Livi as his form in the 1st Division made him look like one of their better players. However, the fact that he didn't force his way into being the regular starter for QoS that I thought he would have been suggests that we should definately exercise caution and get him in at training for a good look (and a couple of pre season friendlies) before we commit ourselves to a deal. If he thinks he can do better, then so be it.

Theres a good few quality first division players now on free transfer there. Wether we can afford thier wages or not, remains to be seen. Like the rest of you guys, McMenamin would excite me. We definetley need new options up front.

Surprised Richie Hart has been told to find a new club. Have been told he has been one of dundees most consistent performers.

I'd have thought Klimpl was the one surprise on those being released from contract.

We could've used Malone this season but I feel even on our budget we could maybe do a bit better.

Seriously? Do you realise how small our budget is? Malone will be well out of our reach, unless no-one else wants him then we might have a chance.

Malone will be well out of our reach

I keep reading this and thinking 'why'? The guy's unemployed. He's not bringing in a wage. He'll have to take what's on offer to him and with more teams announcing budget cuts (St Mirren in the SPL, Queens and Dundee in the First) then it's not beyond ther realms of possibility that we'll see him at Firhill.

I keep reading this and thinking 'why'? The guy's unemployed. He's not bringing in a wage. He'll have to take what's on offer to him and with more teams announcing budget cuts (St Mirren in the SPL, Queens and Dundee in the First) then it's not beyond ther realms of possibility that we'll see him at Firhill.

As I've said, he may well be a possibility, but it will only be if, for example. No SPL teams want him, + Dunfermline, Queens, Morton, possibly even Ross County & Raith Rovers who have both came into some money because of their cup runs.

If none of these teams want him, then yes, we have a chance. Sad, but true.

Are you saying you know definitely know there are better LBs available or that we should be widening the net in the hope of landing one?

Not exactly. As posted elsewhere I'm not convinced Malone is the right type of full back/wing back we require. He's not bad going forward and defensively he'd maybe be alright with a mobile centreback pairing. I feel we need a more orthodox full back with a bit of mobility. I'm assuming that Malone may attract a higher wage than we can afford but even if that wasn't the case I don't feel he's necessarily the guy we should go for.

I can't actually come up with a suitable left back that's available but I'm sure there will be in due course.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC gossip column says that McInnes is resigned to losing Kenny Deuchar as he wants to go part time. Is there a chance McCall could actually get one of his targets?

He's leaving McDiarmid because his medical work means that he'll have to work five days a week with it as he's coming to the final stages of being a doctor. Can't see how he can fit in with the set-up we have. Looks to me as though he'd be best suited to a fully part-time team who train at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Click.

Looking likely we will get Jackie Mac from above article. As I said previously would be happy with his resigning far more than Maxwell's.

As well as still really good fitness levels he seems to be rated for his professionalism and considered a role model by a lot of guys in football.

Edited by mod4
fixed link and please don't C&P whole articles

Click.

Looking likely we will get Jackie Mac from above article. As I said previously would be happy with his resigning far more than Maxwell's.

As well as still really good fitness levels he seems to be rated for his professionalism and considered a role model by a lot of guys in football.

Article appears to hint strongly if not exactly confirm there's some sort of gentleman's agreement re McNamara and McCall. I remember some thought, myself included, that McNamara had signed a

pre contract so this is hardly a surprise.

Couple this news with yesterday's Bertspeak about Donnelly being an almost certain re-signing and we're back to speculating on just how many coaches we'll have next season. Maxwell's been touted for assistant manager and I can't see how we can do without a goal keeping coach with two promising young goalies and maybe a not too greatly experienced No1 keeper on the way.

From all I hear Jackie McN is thought to have a good career ahead of him in management/coaching and I remain reasonably enthusiastic about him joining us. Just can't figure out how we can justify him, Sid, Maxwell, Hinchy & Ian C. I realise Ian Cameron is very much part time and Hinchcliffe may not be anything like full time either but still :unsure:

Putting the cost thing aside I can imagine youngsters, or more likely parents, being impressed with a youth set up that has the likes McNamara & Donnelly involved.

Article appears to hint strongly if not exactly confirm there's some sort of gentleman's agreement re McNamara and McCall. I remember some thought, myself included, that McNamara had signed a

Couple this news with yesterday's Bertspeak about Donnelly being an almost certain re-signing and we're back to speculating on just how many coaches we'll have next season. Maxwell's been touted for assistant manager and I can't see how we can do without a goal keeping coach with two promising young goalies and maybe a not too greatly experienced No1 keeper on the way.

From all I hear Jackie McN is thought to have a good career ahead of him in management/coaching and I remain reasonably enthusiastic about him joining us. Just can't figure out how we can justify him, Sid, Maxwell, Hinchy & Ian C. I realise Ian Cameron is very much part time and Hinchcliffe may not be anything like full time either but still :unsure:

Putting the cost thing aside I can imagine youngsters, or more likely parents, being impressed with a youth set up that has the likes McNamara & Donnelly involved.

Good point caller

This happened to me in Champ once. I liked all my coaches and didn't have the heart to sack any of them.

I thought this was the plan originally anyway, Sid and Jaggy coaching the youths and being used when able/needed for the 1st team and with Hinchy returning as goalkeeping coach this scenario is a good one imo. Now the drawbacks, Hinchy as number 2 scares me, but maybe in the event of our No1 being injured we could utilise the emergency loan system. Then there is the Maxi as Assistant Manager thingy, dont know enough about his role behind the scenes or how good he has been, but I think I'd rather have Jaggy as Player/Assistant Manager/Part-time Youth Coach (he could do all 3 couldn't he :thinking: ). That leaves us looking for a 1st team coach, maybe Maxi could do that and be used as a player if EVERY OTHER CB (including the youth players) is injured.

• 3 years later...

Juniors = cheap.

Look at the goal return from Doolan & Erskine for evidence.

Erskine is a big diddy with zero end product and I'd be quite happy to see him punted.

Went back to the start of the forum to see what people were talking about. This thread is a cracker. Does this guy still post on here?? Also see someone linking paddy Boyle with real sociedad.....plus plenty of posters saying Doolan was pish. Hindsights a wonderful thing

Edited by p12tfc