Rumour Mill

stuart_adam

To say Doolan isn't good enough because Gray wasn't is crazy. Gray ran about like a headless chicken, with no idea of what runs to make etc. Totally the opposite with Doolan. Doolan is ok in the air, Gray probably wasn't as good. Doolan has more pace. Doolan has more skill. Doolan looks fitter & tries harder. Gray probably a better finisher, but he certainly missed his fair share of chances too. I would say Gray is better than the 3rd Division, but certainly not a better player than Doolan.

Anyway, rumours? What's Craig Dargo's contract situation like at St. Mirren...?

Guest Argus

The Bridge haters can naff off, he is brilliant and will only get better, we should keep him and bin Corcoran.

As for Doolan, not convinced he will make it, of course what a sensible manager would have done was realise Lovell was not up to it or fit in about a quarter of the time it took McCall and used that time to give Doolan a chance to show what he can do. As it stands now the only chance we have of seeing if he is ever going to make it is to give him another season, when we are so skint thats hardly a prudent use of resources by Sir Ian.

So lets get this straight. Sir Ian signs Erskine, who you think is brilliant, but Corcoran and Lovell are rubbish? Who signed them then? You are hardly being consistent are you?

Edited by Argus

To say Doolan isn't good enough because Gray wasn't is crazy. Gray ran about like a headless chicken, with no idea of what runs to make etc. Totally the opposite with Doolan. Doolan is ok in the air, Gray probably wasn't as good. Doolan has more pace. Doolan has more skill. Doolan looks fitter & tries harder. Gray probably a better finisher, but he certainly missed his fair share of chances too. I would say Gray is better than the 3rd Division, but certainly not a better player than Doolan.

Doolan isn't consistent enough at this level, and frankly we don't have time to wait for him to be good enough. He's been playing regular first team football since January and hasn't done enough as a goalscorer to warrant being kept on.

The Bridge haters can naff off, he is brilliant and will only get better, we should keep him and bin Corcoran.

As for Doolan, not convinced he will make it, of course what a sensible manager would have done was realise Lovell was not up to it or fit in about a quarter of the time it took McCall and used that time to give Doolan a chance to show what he can do. As it stands now the only chance we have of seeing if he is ever going to make it is to give him another season, when we are so skint thats hardly a prudent use of resources by Sir Ian.

On TheBridge and Corcoran, agree with you on both.

On your not convinced Doolan will make it, careful you must be when sensing the future, Young Uberteeb.

Your comment re Lovell/TheBridge that I have bolded is spot-on.

Correct on all points.

Next season I would like to see a team that regularily features the likes of TheBridge, Doolan, Burns, Cairney, Grehan, McBeth, Rowser, McGeough, Robertson. Mix these in with a few new signings who add bite, fight and motivation to the side, and it would at least be much more enjoyable to watch than 2/3's of this season has been.

No to Maxy and Corrigan, unsure if Archie has another season in him (sad, but past year or two has seen a marked decline in his standards), use Donnelly sparingly, Paton and Boyle need to improve dramtaically over close-season or they should have no place in the team. Conroy has been ok, but whether he signs or is loaned for another 6 months, i'm not too fussed really. I could say Conroy and Hodge are two players i'd like to see play regularily IF they can up their game instead of being too inconsistent as they have been.

So lets get this straight. Sir Ian signs Erskine, who you think is brilliant, but Corcoran and Lovell are rubbish? Who signed them then? You are hardly being consistent are you?

You are hardly making sense are you?

Try reading it again, my pont about McCall was that he was stupid to keep playing Lovell when he obviously was not up to it. In doing so he did not give Doolan a chance to show what he do. That has now put us in a position where if we want to see what he can do we need to give him a new contract.

Try reading it again, my pont about McCall was that he was stupid to keep playing Lovell when he obviously was not up to it. In doing so he did not give Doolan a chance to show what he do. That has now put us in a position where if we want to see what he can do we need to give him a new contract.

Did Doolan not extend his contract back in early October?

Agree re Lovell. No fault in the initial short term deal, even extended to end of January but it must have been if not obvious, thru a combination of his fitness and attitude, a further extension was too risky.

Be careful .... using logic is what gets people into trouble on forums.

On the Corcoran vs Erskine debate I think there is night and day between the two. Corcoran is without doubt better. Seriously, what has Erskine done in his time here? Faire enough he has came from the juniors and might need time to develop but he has had a good run out. However, Corcoran has pace and skill. One of our only players that other teams will hate to place against.

While on note, I dont think any team that Doolan has a shout in playing for will be promotion contenders, he's just not quite up to it.

I'm feeling confident about next season, if McCall can chuck some of the verge team and bring in a few new faces, then I can see us doing well.

If we need to get the likes of Doolan out in order to get someone like McMenamin in, then so be it.

I'm not sure if McMenamin is the answer, either. I think his record against us, plus his one phenomenal season with Gretna has clouded people's judgement. He's been widely criticised by the Dundee support for his lack of goals this season. Something his supporters counter by pointing at his work ethic. He sounds like an older version of Doolan, to me. I'd rather keep and develop our own player, thanks.

Yet Damon Gray has still scored one more goal than Doolan and look how much he was criticised. He can at least still score goals in a lower division even if it is with Berwick, Doolan still hasnt scored any in 2010 with either Clyde or ourselves. If Gray was not good enough then neither is Doolan.

New forum, same old obsessions. Great start.

Colin McMenamin has got 1 year left in his contract, and Dundee always play Griffith and Curier as their strikers

Curier has been on loan at Accies, as Grant pointed out. Chisolm did try and bring him back, to no avail, but it seems that'll be his partnership of choice next season. Melville has stated the team was too top heavy last term and I imagine wide men and defenders will be their priority.

What username did you post under before on the old forum?

If people are desperate to ask this question could they possibly do it by PM? As things stand, it runs the danger of disrupting the discussion in topics and can lead to petty squabbling, which none of us want.

Colin McMenamin has got 1 year left in his contract, and Dundee always play Griffith and Curier as their strikers, and I'm sure they will bring more in during the summer. So a possibility maybe?...

I very much doubt that Griffith will be there next season. Several clubs from down south are interested in him and now that they are not in the SPL, I expect him to be leaving.

I very much doubt that Griffith will be there next season. Several clubs from down south are interested in him and now that they are not in the SPL, I expect him to be leaving.

I think he'll stick around to be honest. He's only 19 and admitted it was a struggle even to move to Dundee away from his family never mind down south.

I seriously doubt any club will be willing to meet whatever Dundee value him at.

One thing would like to see for next season is u signing a player with some leadership qualities. personally I think that the team has lacked a martin hardie/danny lennon figure in there. Although Hardies past it, That sort of player is wot we are needing. Any suggestions???

That and a strikr who is not scared of the 18 yard box.

Just my humble opinion

One thing would like to see for next season is u signing a player with some leadership qualities. personally I think that the team has lacked a martin hardie/danny lennon figure in there. Although Hardies past it, That sort of player is wot we are needing. Any suggestions???

That and a strikr who is not scared of the 18 yard box.

Just my humble opinion

McCall knows & has said this, but it all comes down to budget & we are left behind when trying to get the best players. Meaning we either have to find a gem that nobody knows about, take a risk on a player who has maybe lost his way, sign an older head & hope he still 'has it' or take what's left after the teams with bigger budgets have picked who they want. Sad, but true.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

McCall knows & has said this, but it all comes down to budget & we are left behind when trying to get the best players. Meaning we either have to find a gem that nobody knows about, take a risk on a player who has maybe lost his way, sign an older head & hope he still 'has it' or take what's left after the teams with bigger budgets have picked who they want. Sad, but true.

I've got an older head. Sadly it's on an even older body.