Mcnamara Out

uberteeb

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah but Realistically if we fail to be qos & raith at home I cant see us going on a winning run against Dundee and accies etc . but a cup run for me atleast can mean a great day out at hampden and that for me is a success

I know a run doesn't seem likely, but anything can happen. :D

I don't get how people can believe in a magic cup run, but they can't see us going on a magic winning run.

10 points is nothing, we have many games to go.

pretty basic really...

a cup run constitutes a winning run of 3 or 4 games to get to the quarters or semis... in that period you will come up against dross, like today, or joy of joys, you will draw the old firm away... in doing so, even a 30k crowd would cover the missing rugby money for the next two seasons...

to get anywhere near county... 1st of all, they need to start dropping points, second of all, we need to start winning (every week) not just in one off games. we need to mount pressure on them over a sustained period via results and eventually the press to make up 10 points against a 1st div top of the league team could take maybe 6 or 7 games at least... that will not happen with this squad. they are good on their day. but i have never seen them all "on their day" at the same time.

pretty basic really...

a cup run constitutes a winning run of 3 or 4 games to get to the quarters or semis... in that period you will come up against dross, like today, or joy of joys, you will draw the old firm away... in doing so, even a 30k crowd would cover the missing rugby money for the next two seasons...

to get anywhere near county... 1st of all, they need to start dropping points, second of all, we need to start winning (every week) not just in one off games. we need to mount pressure on them over a sustained period via results and eventually the press to make up 10 points against a 1st div top of the league team could take maybe 6 or 7 games at least... that will not happen with this squad. they are good on their day. but i have never seen them all "on their day" at the same time.

Surely if you're thinking like that you might just call it quits? Where's the belief? :unsure:

He's only stating pure fact chewsday, whats wrong with that? We can still be die hard thistle fans, but retain a sense of reality. Whats the point in "belief" for beliefs sake, for me it's far more likely we'll be involved in a relegation fight than promotion battle. For me, neither will occur, but it's still more likely.

Where's the belief?

Down the toilet along with our season mate, what have you seen that gives you belief? I only believe in things that are evidence based - there is absolutely no evidence to suggest we are capable of going on a winning run the likes of which we'd require to get us anywhere near County. County are a decent first division team, as are Falkirk and Dundee, nothing more, but yet they are still streets ahead of us.

We can hope yes, but some of us can't believe because there's nothing to suggest its possible, do you believe in Santa Claus?

Next season at the earliest, and that's presuming Jackie has a clear out and unearths the gems he'd have to.

We have the tools of a very good team, but our lack of cup progression may stifle contract offers.

We went out to Berwick in the League Cup, when we would have been unseeded in the next round so certainty of an SPL team.

We went out to QOTS in the Scottish Cup, sure we may have got a lousy draw but again we could have got an OF one.

The lack of motivation to shoot is the most annoying thing. The football is good to watch, at times, but too inconsistent which i can happily accept.

His signings have been, in my opinion, poor with the only shining light Sinclair.

MacNamara, not quite out but getting close

Surely if you're thinking like that you might just call it quits? Where's the belief? :unsure:

This is a common problem among the Thistle support, this isn't necessarily directed at you but some people love to wallow in self pity and misery proclaiming that we are better fans than the OF because we are not glory hunters, it almost seems like some people want to avoid any sort of glory in order to maintain their grief.

It is not unrealistic to expect to beat the worst team in the division (we saw just how poor they were a mere 2 weeks ago) at home. It is not unrealistic to expect to go on a half decent run in either the League or Scottish Cup. It is not unrealistic to at least have a glimmer of hope of being in the hunt for promotion half way through the season (some people seem to think there is a chance of this if we 'put a run together', I want what they are smoking). We have none of these things.

I simply do not accept that criticising a player or manager makes you somehow less of a fan, which is implied on this forum all the time, or somehow puts you in the category of "Old Firm gloryhunter".

Surely McNamara must see week in week out that we don't create many chances in the box for our strikers to try to show that they are good at scoring. So what has he been doing to change this?

Answers on a postcard, please. Or even just on this forum.

Back of a postage stamp is big enough to fit the answer to that.

F all

His signings have been, in my opinion, poor with the only shining light Sinclair.

Remarkable that he's signed anyone at all given the lack of cash. IMO Fox is a decent signing and he showed good judgement in dispensing with others, Halliwell, Hodge to name two. He's also made and/or got the best from loan signings and has transformed Cairney from a carthorse into player of the season and the former one footed purveyor of stray passes and crosses known as Paton..

The absence of Rowser, a player who has been consistently good this season in the twilight of his career, was a major factor in our performance yesterday, as was Balatoni. That and MacPherson's eight men behind the ball and effective snuffing out any supply from Cairney and Sinclair.

Surely McNamara must see week in week out that we don't create many chances in the box for our strikers to try to show that they are good at scoring. So what has he been doing to change this?

Over the last few games I've also noticed our forwards don't attack the ball enough. It's true tho' the service they receive is not of sufficient quality but yesterday in particular they did receive a lot of balls from O'Donnell & to a lesser extent Sinclair. By sheer percentage alone some of those balls in could've been challenged more vigorously. Instead of waiting for the inch perfect cross, which is unlikely the strikers could put themselves about a more. Try a little bit of anticipation, it's worked for a lot better strikers than we've got.

Usually I'm of the opinion that a manager can only really stand back and watch once his team takes to the park. There's not really much he can do apart from making a tactical substitution, if the men are available, or shouting encouragement then maybe try a change of tactics in the second half.

Yesterday though, it would seem that not only did our manager NOT try to change things around at half time he failed completely to motivate his players to try harder in the second half. Thistle teams of late have often taken a good ten - fifteen minutes to get back into a game after the interval but yesterday none of them looked as though they were interested in playing for the second forty-five minutes.

Jackie has shown that he can bring on individual players like Cairney and Paton. What he needs to show me is that he's capable of motivating them as a team.

I personally feel if he could get them playing for the badge more we may have some success.

Does anybody think the players we have really give a toss about playing for a pish wee team like Thistle? I always remember that anecdote about Martin Hardie talling one fan "hard luck mate" when someone told him about being a Jags fan. All the players are just too good for games like this and can barely fit their egos through the dressing room door. Can anybody tell me I'm wrong?

But it didn't look like any one of them truly gave a crap in the second half. Are they hurting today? Maybe, but they're still getting paid. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed walking up to Firhill and yesterday's performance just makes this worse.

It's nothing about arrogance and 'expecting' to win games. It's the vacuum of entertainment and watching people who just don't seem to care at all. They should all go work crappy day jobs and find out how sodding lucky they are. Maybe we should finally bite the bullet, accept the inevitable and go part-time - I doubt the quality would be any worse, and at least we would see some real effort.

I was planning on travelling to the Hamilton game next Friday but I really don't know if I can go through more of this.