Mcnamara Out

uberteeb

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting a bit sick of the "we've always been crap so what's your problem?" stuff that always gets trotted out. What's happening now with Thistle, and football in general is different.

Agreed, the club has really lost its way and you know we obviously had worse times than at present but at least back then we were fighting..feck me we put Arbroath oot the cup with 8 men...now its just utter gutless pish you need to put up with.

I think really the most worrying thing is that our manager is actually quoted in the Evening Times tonight as saying he thought our performance was okay. Sorry Jackie that performance was far from okay in fact please grow a pair and tell it like it is.......the whole performance was unacceptable from front to back. Instead of coming out with the same old crap please have a think about it........ we did not have enough opportunities on Saturday in fact hopefully someone can remind me of 1 clear cut chance that we created. When you read the article it has to be worrying that he is thinking like that :thumbdown:

Come on guys, this is all a bit of OTT wallowing in self pity is it not. It is what it is, it's hard and it's not what any of us want for the club but do we need to go over the same stuff every time we face some difficult times? Now isn't even that difficult, the cups have been a disaster but the league is ok considering many were predicting a relegation dogfight at the start of the season.

I think really the most worrying thing is that our manager is actually quoted in the Evening Times tonight as saying he thought our performance was okay. Sorry Jackie that performance was far from okay in fact please grow a pair and tell it like it is.......the whole performance was unacceptable from front to back. Instead of coming out with the same old crap please have a think about it........ we did not have enough opportunities on Saturday in fact hopefully someone can remind me of 1 clear cut chance that we created. When you read the article it has to be worrying that he is thinking like that :thumbdown:

To be fair, that's the first time that he's said anything like that: usually his statements are considered and based on the game as it was - something of a contrast with some previous managers, some of whom were apparently watching a very different game in a parallel universe.

Edited by Fearchar

The year we put Arbroath out with 8 men, we came 8th in a ten league SECOND division and avoided relegation by a point. The glory days.

Yes but the fact was we were fighting battling for the Jags cause...managed to stay up I believe only by a 79 minute Paul McDonald penalty against Forfar.

Agreed, the club has really lost its way and you know we obviously had worse times than at present but at least back then we were fighting..feck me we put Arbroath oot the cup with 8 men...now its just utter gutless pish you need to put up with.

People's memory loss astounds me sometimes. That season, along with many before and many since, was utterly miserable.

This season hasn't exactly scaled the heights but it hasn't really been entirely miserable either. Entirely mediocre, yes, but I have witnessed far worse. Does nobody remember players like Paul McIntyre, Craig Flannigan and Harry Curran? We have seen crap players before and we shall see them again. At the moment we have some decent, if inconsistent, young players and a manager who is learning his trade.

I do wish the mass hysteria that is seen on here sometimes would die down a bit, along with rose-eyed looks back at times that were much pisher than this.

People's memory loss astounds me sometimes. That season, along with many before and many since, was utterly miserable.

This season hasn't exactly scaled the heights but it hasn't really been entirely miserable either. Entirely mediocre, yes, but I have witnessed far worse. Does nobody remember players like Paul McIntyre, Craig Flannigan and Harry Curran? We have seen crap players before and we shall see them again. At the moment we have some decent, if inconsistent, young players and a manager who is learning his trade.

I do wish the mass hysteria that is seen on here sometimes would die down a bit, along with rose-eyed looks back at times that were much pisher than this.

Just an example to be fair....Mass hysteria???

I think we all know Jackie Mac will be going nowhere but its the constant lack of ambition that I think is now showing to be getting right up peoples noses...Whats frightening is the amount of people that accept it...I mean christ people are saying "mid table would be ok" what again??? fck that and to make it worse the cups have been an absolute bloody shambles!!!

From most of the posts in this thread, it seems that it's 30% the losing and 70% the lack of effort in losing (note: not statistically accurate) that has everyone calling for Jackie's head.

Forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious, but I don't get to see Thistle up close: Does Thistle have a "heart and soul" player or captain who inspires the rest of the squad? I know the manager is supposed to be the engine, but it's certainly helpful to have a field general type who makes the tackles, gives it his all every game and has the mixture of experience and talent to be able to hold his teammates accountable if they start playing like they no longer give a sh*t.

Do we absolutely have that guy?

From most of the posts in this thread, it seems that it's 30% the losing and 70% the lack of effort in losing (note: not statistically accurate) that has everyone calling for Jackie's head.

Forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious, but I don't get to see Thistle up close: Does Thistle have a "heart and soul" player or captain who inspires the rest of the squad? I know the manager is supposed to be the engine, but it's certainly helpful to have a field general type who makes the tackles, gives it his all every game and has the mixture of experience and talent to be able to hold his teammates accountable if they start playing like they no longer give a sh*t.

We were poor on Saturday and never looked like scoring why did the manager not change things earlier and why did we line up after a last minute goal against us as if there were twenty minutes left??? It should have been a cavalry charge with maybe even Scot Fox up front after all what was to lose?

"We were poor on Saturday and never looked like scoring why did the manager not change things earlier and why did we line up after a last minute goal against us as if there were twenty minutes left??? It should have been a cavalry charge with maybe even Scot Fox up front after all what was to lose?"

Good point. They should have lined up 6 or 7 players along the half-way line and they should all have run hell for leather towards the QoS goal. A pass back and than a punt into that ruck of players and the ball could have broken to anybody who might have been able to take a pot-shot.

The failure to do that kind of thing reflects the typical mentality and stagnation that we see in a lot of football in Scotland these days. There are set ways of doing things, and even if they don't work, that's the way we do them. Don't get me started on corners or scoring chance free-kicks!

No. We have 2 experiences seasoned pros. Rowson puts his "heart and soul" into the game but does this in isolation I think, Archie is the other one, neither of them seem to be natural leaders, neither of them seem to be talking to or motivating the other players during the game. Nobody playing badly gets a telling off from the experienced pros.

The only player I can think of who sometimes shouts/motivates/whatever at others is Paul Paton but he doesn't do it particularly often either.

In short, the team is rudderless, and the manager seems incredibly passive during the games as well.

Fair point. Has anyone else noticed when watching video highlights that when (if!) we score, Archibald is seldom if ever anywhere near the group of players congratulating the scorer. Never really struck me as an obvious candidate for captain. Great servant for the club but like a number of posters on here I think time is rapidly catching up on him (and I suspect if we go for an artificial surface that will be the end of things).

I'm not sure whther you decided to purposely miss the last bit in the quote you mentioned article where he states:

"I thought the performance was okay, but we weren’t good enough in the final third."

Nothing wrong with that, He's acknowledged (yet again in a similar scenario) where we went wrong and isn't deflecting from it, unlike previous managers. I don't think you can really criticise this quote, considering QoS never looked like scoring at all, until the last minute lapse in concentration. However, considering the competition, opposition and our attacking display, it was a shockingly bad performance.

Getting a bit sick of the "we've always been crap so what's your problem?" stuff that always gets trotted out. What's happening now with Thistle, and football in general is different.

That's very true. .Now is now and then was then. Things like satellite TV football, tellies in the bookies, pubs open in Saturday afternoons and so on make a difference from decades past.

It's also true that Chicofan's post (171) could have been heard in a pub during more than half the seasons for as long as I can remember. Don't get fooled when some long time Jags fan posts how things were just as bad in eighties, late sixties etc. It's not that tolerance levels are any lower these days it's just that there's more on offer elsewhere.

"The thing is: I was there in 1989, in 1993 and in 2001. The football isn’t worse now. In fact, it is a whole lot better. Players are fitter, better on the ball and play on better surfaces than just ten years ago"

Nonsense our parks a tattie field we have no one in that team who could lace the boots of the like of charley/Duffy/hardie/McCoy/Pitman/flood etc etc etc's. And fitness won't win you leagues otherwise we'd sign marathon runners to play

The thing is: I was there in 1989, in 1993 and in 2001. The football isn’t worse now. In fact, it is a whole lot better.

what a lot of rubbish...

The same person who wrote that, also came up with his all time 11:

http://jagscast.blogspot.com/2011/11/manly-j-pandas-all-time-thistle-xi.html

Edited by potty trained

we're beginning to sound like scotland and god forbid, steven pressley

much as i have disliked pressley over the years, strikes me that the stick mcnamara is getting at the mo' is very similar to what the fawkirk fans - and others - were dishing to pressley these last couple of years. he stuck to his guns and the crop of youth he's brought thru' are apparently being coveted by many clubs down south and pressley is being tipped for bigger things. they're also well placed behind rossco and, with gardyne having signed a pre-contract, they could spring the league.

credit where it's due but never for the brown shoes.

much as i have disliked pressley over the years, strikes me that the stick mcnamara is getting at the mo' is very similar to what the fawkirk fans - and others - were dishing to pressley these last couple of years. he stuck to his guns and the crop of youth he's brought thru' are apparently being coveted by many clubs down south and pressley is being tipped for bigger things. they're also well placed behind rossco and, with gardyne having signed a pre-contract, they could spring the league.

credit where it's due but never for the brown shoes.

What a horrible thought the brown shoed knob having the last laugh...however credit where its due...he's got a bunch a weans playing well.

Meanwhile back at firhill......:-(