Sean Welsh

Surely if/when Welsh signs he cannot be the last signing, we've got 1 striker in Dooland, 1 untried McGuigan, and that's about it is it not? I would not class Erskine as a forward, he's not that great playing with his back to goal he's better going forward

As I see it we're going into next season without Cairney's goal contribution. I think we're hopeful if Welsh signs and Lawless lives up to his billing of being able to go some way to matching that. We've seen signs of a tighter defence so factor that in and hopefully we're compensated for Cairney's loss.

Are we any better off striker wise this time round than when the season kicked off last summer? Last season's support to Doolan was namely Stewart with Grehan & then Elliot with further back up from Erskine. I think it's safe to say that McGuigan and Elliot (a year on) will be no poorer.and Erskine has improved marginally as a goal threat.

Brings me to the conclusion (if Welsh signs) that we're slightly better off attack wise than last season. I think what may happen is if a goalscorer of note becomes available before Aug 31st and he's not going to break the bank we just may sign him and loan out Elliot.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it we're going into next season without Cairney's goal contribution. I think we're hopeful if Welsh signs and Lawless lives up to his billing of being able to go some way to matching that. We've seen signs of a tighter defence so factor that in and hopefully we're compensated for Cairney's loss.

Are we any better off striker wise this time round than when the season kicked off last summer? Last season's support to Doolan was namely Stewart with Grehan & then Elliot with further back up from Erskine. I think it's safe to say that McGuigan and Elliot (a year on) will be no poorer.and Erskine has improved marginally as a goal threat.

Brings me to the conclusion (if Welsh signs) that we're slightly better off attack wise than last season. I think what may happen is if a goalscorer of note becomes available before Aug 31st and he's not going to break the bank we just may sign him and loan out Elliot.

That all looks sound except for the final three words. I'm not sure that even if we got a goalscorer in that we could afford to send Christie out on loan. We also still have Fraser. No idea what he was like last season, but I remember thinking that he looked good when he got some match time at the tail end of the season before that (he even scored a couple, if I remember right).

Missed out Bannigan, I think we will see Jackie test him out in the same role as Cairney in the pre season games. I think he is well suited to such a role and it will be interesting to see if he can build a similar partnership to the one Erskine and Cairney enjoyed.

That all looks sound except for the final three words. I'm not sure that even if we got a goalscorer in that we could afford to send Christie out on loan. We also still have Fraser. No idea what he was like last season, but I remember thinking that he looked good when he got some match time at the tail end of the season before that (he even scored a couple, if I remember right).

I feel Fraser has been unfairly treated by McNamara. We went through a barren spell at one point in the season, and everyone was given a chance to try and end our goal drought, we tried different combinations of strikers and even Kieran Burns got a start away to Hamilton, but despite scoring a few goals for the reserves Fraser was still never given a chance for the first team, not even as a substitute. I think at a Meet the Manager event or something similar last summer, McNamara made it quite plain that he didnt fancy Fraser because he said that he felt McCall had given him a 2 year deal far too soon. I dont understand this view myself because like you say, any time he played in the previous season he looked impressive and scored a few goals. So I think he will be on his way out of Firhill, although we would need to give him a pay off. He gave Burns a few games then released him, Fraser played no games last season, so I think he will leave as well.

I feel Fraser has been unfairly treated by McNamara.

I'm not sure how anyone on this forum can say that with any confidence. McNamara works with him most days of the week. Furthermore, he'll have received feedback from Stenhousemuir, which wasn't at all complimentary from what I've heard.

People are forgetting how young Fraser was when he got his first team games - still 17. It's to be expected that he still had a lot to learn and that his form might be a bit up & down. When the new season starts he'll have just turned 19 - so talk about the manager trying to freeze him out is just OTT.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Didn't Fraser go on loan to Stenny, but it didn't work out? Didn't this also mean that he couldn't play for Thistle for the rest of the season once he came back to us? I seem to remember reading that he was putting great effort into an early pre-season to bring up to the desired level of readiness.

...strong, tall...

He's not these. The problem with Elliot last season is that when he lost his confidence he found it extremely difficult to go by players. He needs to work on being able to play with his back to goal and shield the ball better, he shows far too much of the ball to the defender.

That's one thing about Cairney, he was brilliant at shielding the ball.

Would be interesting to hear Jackie’s option on Fraser, Burns playing in front of him and him getting freed makes you wonder how he rates him.

Can anybody who has watched the reserves comment on his weight? Given the emphasis Jackie places on Sports science and eating I wonder if this is the problem.

Elliot is still pretty raw and he did lose his confidence after making a good start. He needs to improve his first touch and heading, given his height he really is terrible in the air.

With Hindsight I think it would been good to send him on loan near the end of the last season.

I don't think Fraser's weight is an issue; I think his attitude is.

but are we talking present tense?

I got the impression McNamara requires each of his squad (auld yins perhaps excluded) to be able to turn in a 90 min shift if/when required. I don't necessarily think that requirement was so high up McCall's agenda.

The other ability Jackie definitely looks for in a young player is an ability to be proficient in more than one position. Fraser thru no fault of his own certainly doesn't meet the latter requirement so I guess if he's going to feature despite his age he'll have to be a ninety minute man with all that entails.

• Members

Would be interesting to hear Jackie’s option on Fraser, Burns playing in front of him and him getting freed makes you wonder how he rates him..

I think someone touched on the point further up, but I think Fraser returned early from loan and would not therefore be able to make an appearance for the Club if he signed on loan to Stenny till the end of the season. He has (?) another year on his contract, Burns contract was up and he was given a few opportunities to earn another contract which he was unable to do. Nothing links the difference in retaining the two players in my opinion. That said, unless Fraser ups his game considerably this season he may find himself getting freed next time around.

I think someone touched on the point further up, but I think Fraser returned early from loan and would not therefore be able to make an appearance for the Club if he signed on loan to Stenny till the end of the season. He has (?) another year on his contract, Burns contract was up and he was given a few opportunities to earn another contract which he was unable to do. Nothing links the difference in retaining the two players in my opinion. That said, unless Fraser ups his game considerably this season he may find himself getting freed next time around.

Fraser's loan was up to January I believe, he was available for selection after that.

• Members

Fraser's loan was up to January I believe, he was available for selection after that.

Fair enough. Still the right thing to do when results didn't really matter to give the lad a chance to see if he could come good, especially when you want him to. (I think Jackie was quoted as saying Kieran was the most natural finisher at the Club).