Guarantees, Sky & The "new" Team From Govan - A Cynic's View

CCjag

Well said, the Chairman of the likes of Hamilton Accies or Morton for example may be thinking the same as him but they have said nothing and therefore no-one has any idea what they think. SOmetimes he is just too keen to make his views known to the papers

Actually got it wrong again seemingly Rae of Morton according to their forum did say he would welcome Rangers to the first and their supporters are as irate as us

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made contact with the club via email, facebook, twitter with no reply so my season ticket money will now be spent away from firhill and at best i will be pay at the gate. Today the club post info on when to pick up season tickets almost as if nothing is going on what a great way to treat potential customers.

I made contact with the club via email, facebook, twitter with no reply so my season ticket money will now be spent away from firhill and at best i will be pay at the gate. Today the club post info on when to pick up season tickets almost as if nothing is going on what a great way to treat potential customers.

I'm not surprised that there hasn't (yet) been an individualised response. But I do think that bombarding the club to let them know the strength of many fans' feelings on the issue is the way to go.

All i wanted was a reply to the fans not a individualised response, via the club website i now have that and i am afraid to say its not what i wanted to hear so my situation stays the same. sad day.

I agree with your stance. All SFL chairpersons should be starting out with their position absolutely clear: any newco has to go through the normal procedures for application to the SFL. Anything else gives the impression that they can be bought, which is NOT the position of the vast majority of fans, I would think.

As I posted in another topic...

In my opinion, the Statement is far too vague after other statements made by Beattie in the press over the last couple of days.

It's obvious to everyone that we have no say in the SPL decision but what I was looking for was clarity with regards to comments already made by Beattie.

Why make statements in two newspapers with some hypothetical details then, in an official club statement, say what you should have said in the first place with no reference to previous comments?!

From very early on in close season there was a fantastic buzz being generated from the club and the fans. I was more upbeat than ever about the coming season... funny how things change so quickly. Let's hope our club fight for the outcome the majority of fans clearly want if the need arises.

I got a reply from the club late this afternoon, directing me to the statement on the official site - http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/june_2012/statement_from_board_of_directors .

I remain unconvinced that some of the language is enough to lessen the anger being felt by many e.g. "we want to ensure the sporting integrity of our game is upheld. At the same time, however, we also need to be mindful of the commercial situation".

I think many would be happier with a statement like the one from Falkirk – it references fairness - http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5986&Itemid=320

It is infuriating in many ways as there has been a number initiatives off the park that were generating a real feel-good factor for the up-coming season. In addition, most supporters would be in agreement with the majority of the other things Beattie said (from adversity comes opportunity, League re-construction and more than 1 promotion place).)

In terms of Season Ticket renewal – much of these statements is pure conjecture. Even if Beattie was making the same statements as Falkirk, in the end, it would all come down to how they actually vote if it is ever put to them. Football boards have been known to vote differently from their publicly stated position (Raith Rovers voting to change the SPL structure from 12 to 10 is one I recall). I am in a minor quandary about whether or not to get our renewals tomorrow or hold off. I think that, on reflection, there is nothing concrete here at present. I suspect that I will renew. If things pan out the wrong way in terms of a future vote, I hope to have decades to make any protest without making one right now when nothing has actually happened. I think it would be very sad if we allowed speculation about something that NewCo might do to damage our club now – that mob have done enough!

I have faith, perhaps misplaced, that if it ever comes down to it, the PTFC Board of Directors will vote to ensure that all football clubs are treated equally and fairly (to me, that means that any new club trying to join a league structure must join at the lowest level and work their way up). However, should the SPL vote for fairness (and they have missed plenty of opportunities to do that), I do believe that it will require a concerted effort from all SFL supporters to ensure that their respective boards do vote for fairness too.

Therefore: get your season ticket if you can but keep up the pressure on our board!

Is it to much to ask that our chairman states on record that if we have a say we will say no to newco? if he does this i am at Firhill buying my season ticket, instead we get a statement that was not worth the bother.

I am 100% certain if the vote was today, we would have voted to allow NEWCO into Div 1/SPHell2...to me thats pretty clear from Mr Beattie's statement. The fight is now on to warn him of the long term consequences in return for a short term hit

Edited by Lindau

If newco start in the SFL3 and progress through the divisions then we will be likely to have the financial benefit at some stage along with many other clubs in Scotland.

Putting them in the SF1 improves cash flow for a season but long term loses so many die hard Jags fans.

Which makes commercial sense?

I have just realised that Clydebank Jag has made the same point in the other thread earlier.

Edited by manchesterjag

Am i not right in thinking..

If the vote goes against Rangers then they will need approval from the SFL to join div 3.. So why not use that as leverage to gain a better cut of the cash Just to have them in Div 3..

Is that not a better solution?

Start in our division 1 season and they're in the SPL again and no-one else has a chance of promotion

Start in division 3 and the money that they brought to the lower leagues would give an actual benefit to those clubs along with increased attendance and who knows.. probably even more supporters in the long run.. that can only be of a benefit to the game

David Beattie i plea with you to not think about the immediate splurge of cash but the longer term benefit! They still need SFL approval to join our leagues use that to our advantage!!

There was an article in the Metro today about rumours of newco buying over Bury but it not going ahead. Does anyone know if there is a danger that if newco did not get into the SPL or divison one then they would try to buy over a first divison team and rename them as newco Rangers? Would they be allowed to do that? Could they even afford it? I am just wondering if it is possible that Beattie and Rae fear something like that hence why they have been extremely soft on the newco punishment aspect and put them trying anything or maybe I am being to soft on them for suggesting this?

I don't have twitter but a friend of mine, who does says Evening Times journalist Christopher Jack has made himself look like a right prick just now, whilst talking to fans about Rangers being allowed into the First Division.

Can anyone confirm? What is he saying?

Edited by northernsoul

David Beattie i plea with you to not think about the immediate splurge of cash but the longer term benefit! They still need SFL approval to join our leagues use that to our advantage!!

The thing is, this splurge of cash is nowhere near as large nor as clear cut as these guys seem to think. How many Rangers's fans do we think we can fit in (only twice a season)? 3,000 or 4,000 unless you also give the half Jackie Husband stand too and how would that go down.

Assuming a percentage are kids (free) and some pensioners, etc. you're talking £50k or £60k max for each game but also with increased costs for police and Stewarding. Say £100K for the whole season. Maybe a bit more from selling hospitality (but not that much we don't have all that much room). Worth it?

But how many Jags fans would turn up for all the other games? Some would be missing due to disgust with them being there, some because the league might be meaningless with them in it. There's also the danger these missing fans might not come back, in fact more than a danger, we know when fans stop they often find other things to do. Is £100k (plus a little bit more) for one season worth that? And who's to say the bears will be all that bothered about away games against minnows and keep their cash for bigot fests at home.

Another thing is this isn't the real Rangers we're talking about, it's a new club which still has and almost certainly - even if allowed into the SPL or another division - will continue to have serious problems. Just look at what's going on with bears' season ticket money, players contracts and who really is going to own Ibrox. Why on earth do you want to say now you'd take them in when it all might turn out to be a disaster.

Edited by Mr Bunny

There was an article in the Metro today about rumours of newco buying over Bury but it not going ahead. Does anyone know if there is a danger that if newco did not get into the SPL or divison one then they would try to buy over a first divison team and rename them as newco Rangers? Would they be allowed to do that? Could they even afford it? I am just wondering if it is possible that Beattie and Rae fear something like that hence why they have been extremely soft on the newco punishment aspect and put them trying anything or maybe I am being to soft on them for suggesting this?

I have seen on other sites references to Cowdenbeith. I have no idea if there is any truth in it, but I would be amazed if someone at "I can't believe it's not Rangers" have not considered the option. Airdie did the same with Clydebank.

I don't have twitter but a friend of mine, who does says Evening Times journalist Christopher Jack has made himself look like a right prick just now, whilst talking to fans about Rangers being allowed into the First Division.

He's arguing the case for the h*ns coming in to 1st Div saying it will give us a greater income next year, but as been pointed out to him we will receive that income in 2 years time as newco progress through the leagues, in fact giving all SFL clubs a boost rather than Div 1 for one season only!

Yes he has made a tit of himself

https://twitter.com/#!/chris_jack89

Do you think the club are thinking that having "Sevco 5088" in Div 1 is a good way to make up for the 100k we lose from Warriors leaving?

The club statement doesn't fill me with much hope we would say no.

"As a club, we want to ensure the sporting integrity of our game is upheld. At the same time, however, we also need to be mindful of the commercial situation within Scottish football as a whole, especially that of Partick Thistle."

So basically that reads to me that if it makes us a good profit f*ck sporting integrity and "welcome Sevco 5088 to 1st division football".

Slightly glad that I am skint and haven't bought my season ticket. Not just because if Thistle supported this bullsh*t I wouldn't go, but with "Sevco 5088" in the league we may as well not bother to turn up.

All we can do is wait and see, everything else is pure speculation but I fear we may have our first away day at "Sevco 5088" or a "Derby" after Christmas depending who goes up!

Edited by little_miss_jag

I really Hope our BoD will block any attempts to allow them in Div1. Referring to the league restructure, are we really going to see a suitable league restructure rattled up before season starts? All we will get is a little more money drop down the tiers and possibly a play-off position? Once rangers are promoted out of the league after 1 season everything will go back to near normality and we will have gained nothing! Any other Newco would be dropped down to 3rd without a seconds delay, and every SFL club will get the benefit as they progress back through the leagues! One question though is how will St Mirren/ ICT/ Ross Co/ Hibs feel about a Play off place being offered - doubt they will be too happy about this!

Two up Two down every year plus play offs - for TEN YEARS guaranteed.

That should be the base line for any negotiations.

Me I hate the Old Firm but i love the idea that that this is our chance to hold the SPL to ransom.

As far as I'm concerned the worst thing about being a Thistle fan is the fact that we are locked out of the tension and excitement of promotion/ relegation battles by the pathetically "un-sporting" league structure of Scottish football. I'd happily be a bunch of opportunist shits and ensure that we've actually got something to compete for at the start of every season.