New Thistle Statement

gg1971

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy that the SPL took a decision today rather than electing to defer until after the SFL meeting. Also means that Doncaster has somewhat less leverage than would be the case it this had happened.

The main financial issue to be faced by the SPL is threat of losing the £2m from the SPL that was put in place when the SPL was set up. Not sure if this is split evenly among the thirty SFL clubs, but if it is that amounts to c£67,000 per club. On the assumption that this is contractual then I think the SFL should be making very clear that it would intend to sue the ass off the SPL should they withhold payment. And then allow Rangers to apply to join SFL3.

In addition, all of the teams in SFL1 should declare that they have no intention of resigning from the SFL to join an SPL2 to counter the other organisational threat.

The leading players in this (Doncaster, Longmuir and Regan) need to be shown the door if they don't have the wit to leave of their own accord. They are all damaged goods and no longer have any positive role that they can play in the aftermath of this.

I wait on next Thursday's vote with interest but still inclined towards a view of SFL3 or bust. This latest statement is better than the previous ones but does smack of the club positioning itself to point to it's good intentions whilst accept Newco into SFL1.

And, like the good Lady, I am also convinced that Beattie has been up to his neck in SPL2 discussions. I think he might need to consider whether he share's a leaving drink with the the other three. As has been mentioned that original interview will be a stain on his reputation for a long, long time.

The more I think of it the more clever Clyde's statement has been.

Clubs like ourselves & Falkirk have come out and said 'no but...'. Clyde's statement puts the fans of all teams fully in the picture as to what pressure the SFL have had applied on them.

Surely there is not an SFL football fan that thinks this is acceptable?

This puts the pressure straight back onto the BoDs of all clubs who have been non-committal or a 'no, but...'.

The statement from Clyde is a thing of beauty. They make it clear they are being bullied, and in such a sneaky way that the bullies can say 'that's not what we meant'. Well done Clyde. Would love to hear what the Thistle take on the meeting was.

The statement also mentions that Doncaster has threatened that there will be no TV money, the compensation payment from the breakaway of the SPL. Not having seen the terms of the contract, I cannot be sure. However I doubt the settlement agreement states you can have your money as long as Rangers are in the league. I hope the SFL clubs stick together and offer to see him in court for breech of contract.

I know this would never happen, but if Dundee, Dunfermline say we are not prepared for SPL we'll take our chances in the first this year - no space for a team to apply to.

Thistle have apparently been getting praise from people 'outside of the club' for their statement today. Maybe looking at it from a Thistle fan perspective clouds the judgement a wee bit so I have 'tried' to view the statement as objectively as possible. I still wanted a definitive NO to Newco in SFL1, but what we got was 'no to the current proposals', but being the first Club to call out any of the games ruling bodies to take the bull by the horns (that body being the SFA).

So, as Jags fans we got the NO we were after and as Scottish football fans we also got a challenge to the SFA. Ok, we are also hedging our bets (or holding out for a better deal for want of a better phrase) a bit...given Dungcasters claim that SFL3 was simply "not a viable option" and the threats of creating SPL2 (which could happen without the backing of the SFL anyway), maybe we have been quite sensible here.

Now, objectivity attempts completely gone, I STILL WANT MY CLUB TO SAY GTF, SFL3 OR NOTHING!!!!

I think Falkirk's statement is not totally devoid of ambiguity. If their views are in tandem with Pressley's then they may put higher value on league reconstruction than sporting integrity. That said I'd be not too appalled if newco were playing in the 2nd tier in season 13/14. Despite some massaging on the integrity front we would at least have larger leagues as a legacy.

Pontius Pilate must have drafted the statement for the Club...................................... :yellow_card:

Dearest JD,

You may well be write in your attribution of authorship. The Lord R tells me that our Club PR officebearer was indeed preferring the option of joining our chaps down at the Catterick Garrison this week, much more to her taste than remaining behind to serve the Club in such a newsworthy week. So indeed she may be beyond these shores.

Undoubtedly her many skills are helping inform those noble gentlemen of the Board, even from lands afar.

I await further pronouncements.

Yours

Wemyss

After some extra thought on the subject, I'm actually satisfied with the statement because of the different viewpoint it offers.

The statement admits that the proposal to chuck Newco into SFL1 is "contrary to the current league rules," which is a more tame way of saying what other clubs have said more defiantly. Yes, it lacks passion, but I think it offers a little more practicality and common sense from a business perspective. It reflects the notion that this should never have come down to a club vote to begin with - why should clubs be forced to get defiant and potentially strain ties with each other over something that isn't their problem?

It correctly singles out the SFA for not doing its job and expecting other clubs to get itself out a jam that it alone was responsible for. After all, this issue comes down primarily to TV money. Someone at the SFA should have long ago recognized a potential conflict of interest in setting up a TV deal based on a guarantee that two teams will play each other four times a year. That's absolutely crooked! In signing a multi-year deal, the governing body is basically guaranteeing a fraction of the outcome in every single season. Did no one at the SFA ever think this was a bad idea?

While the "on its own" portion seems to indicate that the Thistle board would support Newco in SFL1 "for the right price," a statement in the next-to-last paragraph indicates that "the driving force for change has to be our National Association." To me, this is a way of saying that bribing smaller clubs in such a way is the wrong way to go about driving change.

So while other clubs are saying "This is how we feel!", Thistle is, maybe more correctly, saying, "It shouldn't have ever come to this - do your feckin' jobs!"

Dearest JD,

You may well be write in your attribution of authorship. The Lord R tells me that our Club PR officebearer was indeed preferring the option of joining our chaps down at the Catterick Garrison this week, much more to her taste than remaining behind to serve the Club in such a newsworthy week. So indeed she may be beyond these shores.

Undoubtedly her many skills are helping inform those noble gentlemen of the Board, even from lands afar.

I await further pronouncements.

Yours

Wemyss

Far be it from me to cast the first stone, but in all seriousness, what is this shit?

Personally I thought the board was right to wait, before confirming their stance. However it's put, it's a clear no to any "newco" joining the first division.

No matter what your position on this fiasco, i think everyone is pretty much in agreement that scottish football needs re-organised/ re-structured.

I think that everyone also recognises that Rangers' actions will have a negative impact on finances across all of the divisions, especially in the SPL, but may have further reaching consequences in terms of sponsorship for the game as a whole.

Whether we like it or not, currently it's the SFA who make the rules governing Scottish Football in general, and therefore I agree that it's entirely up to them to sort this out.

Whether they do or not, or are capable of doing it, is another matter - and that's maybe more what the club's statement is alluding to, rather than any passing of the buck thats been suggested.

I think we're looking at the biggest fundamental shift we've ever had in the balance of power in Scottish Football here - and it's therefore an opportunity to force change for the good of the whole game.

I just really really hope we can take it and come out the other side with a structure and set-up that's fair & equitable and rewards who work within the system - however tough it is for the next few years.

what Davie said.

Far be it from me to cast the first stone, but in all seriousness, what is this shit?

I think he's saying our new PR guru is 'with the lads' at Catterick, but is still advising those at the club on official club statements...or did you know this already and were talking about it being a 'shit agenda'?

That much I'd figured out and I can even grasp the idea that the Countess has a negative view about this person - who I'd not heard of until the other thread about her. From what I've heard since, I don't know that I'd be a fan of hers either, but nonetheless I maybe hoped if people had a gripe with someone at the club that we'd evolved to a point where that could be expressed in a more open fashion. There's enough childishness around in Scottish football as we've all been seeing yesterday and today. When people know who you are behind your screen name, it's actually quite liberating, as many of us know.

But I apologise for calling it shit. It is, but I shouldn't have said so in polite company.

That much I'd figured out and I can even grasp the idea that the Countess has a negative view about this person - who I'd not heard of until the other thread about her. From what I've heard since, I don't know that I'd be a fan of hers either, but nonetheless I maybe hoped if people had a gripe with someone at the club that we'd evolved to a point where that could be expressed in a more open fashion. There's enough childishness around in Scottish football as we've all been seeing yesterday and today. When people know who you are behind your screen name, it's actually quite liberating, as many of us know.

But I apologise for calling it shit. It is, but I shouldn't have said so in polite company.

Agreed (not put a face to your name yet tho :P ), but then, could be protecting his 'source'. Could even be the source. Oh well, cloak and daggers. I think I know who he means, in the fleeting few seconds we spoke at the POTY I was suddenly saying 'bring back Ami, all is forgiven' ;)

Edited by Steven H

Since we are coming clean on our actual names Im spartacus :hypocrite:

Feel a lot better now that its out their.

And I deny I was also Gravity that was purely due to having two Jags Fans in the same ofice and forgetting to log out the other guys name.

We also had a real Madrid and a Seville Fan at the time ,Modays were great Ist Division and La Liga no OF shite at all,

I had to fire Gravity he knew too much about Football

At last a fairly unequivocal commitment to say no to New Co and it also points the finger at the SFA or their abdication of responsibility. I'm perfectly happy with this statement and can now look forward to next season. Providing we are not shafted from a great height by the SPL.

If only this sort of statement had been issued at the start much bad feeling could have been avoided. :thumbsup2:

And I deny I was also Gravity that was purely due to having two Jags Fans in the same ofice and forgetting to log out the other guys name.

We also had a real Madrid and a Seville Fan at the time ,Modays were great Ist Division and La Liga no OF shite at all,

What is this drivel? This is a serious topic.

Edited by One t in Scotland

Jings! Tempted to say more but personal abuse isn't my style.