Highlights Of Jags 5-4 Queens

stuart_adam

As far as the goals lost are concerned, not sure if there was an awful lot that Scully could have done about any of them.

I thought the same. The second one he seems to have been blind sighted by a centre back, which requires more communication. The third he had no chance. With the free kick, the short distance between the position it was taken from and the goal the wall was always going to obscure his view, which is probably why the taker hit it low.

Scully had no chance with any of the goals.

The highlights also show that Craigen had 3 assists, making the criticism of him in another thread seem extremely harsh. His ball in for Elliott's header was a beauty, as was his through ball for Erskine's first.

Have to disagree with some people regarding the fourth queens goal. The ball goes in scullys side of the net and its hardly right in the corner. When i left the game last night i was thinking fox would probably have save most of their goals but looking at it now i reckon he would only have saved the fourth

Have to disagree with some people regarding the fourth queens goal. The ball goes in scullys side of the net and its hardly right in the corner. When i left the game last night i was thinking fox would probably have save most of their goals but looking at it now i reckon he would only have saved the fourth

I wasn't saying that the fourth wasn't his fault. As you say it was his side of the net, but he blinded himself with the wall. Experience might help him to deal with that, and I do agree that Fox would have probably saved that one.

The interview with Gardiner Spiers is quite interesting, because he thinks his players should have been more defensive at 4-3. Perhaps difficult to argue with that, but Bannigan's goal was a thing of beauty. Absolutely amazing shot.

I maintain that all bar the first Queen's goal (which gets better every time you watch it) were avoidable, but it was a very inexperienced back line, so partially forgiveable. Hopefully having Fox, Archie and Shuggy back for Dunfermline will get us back to where we were. We appear to be good in attack though, with that front line of Erskine, Doolan and Lawless capable of causing major headaches. Sinclair, Welsh and Bannigan also good going forwards too, so there's plenty to be positive about.

A mental game. To me Scully looked entirely blameless for all of the goals.

To me Scully looks as inexperienced as they come. He wont get better sitting on the bench all season and needs to go out on loan to gain some confidence and much needed experience. He looks petrified in goals and I do think he could have done better or at least tried.

Armand2 sums it up perfectly in the just in thread.

Looking at the highlights the Queens Park keeper did better and was decent for a 3rd division team.

Fox's contact is up at the end of the season so lets just hope that is extended soon!

Edited by little_miss_jag

Just to echo what I said over in the "Just In" thread a couple of minutes ago:

For me, the highlights show that Scully can take a fair share of the blame for all the goals. At first, I thought the opening goal was just a great hit (which it was) but look how far off his line Scully is. Same for the second. The third goal resulted from a free-kick; once that was initially cleared, a goalkeeper should be absolutely screaming for his defence to get out and push up which Scully never did and as a result he's blinded because Muirhead is defending, more or less, in his six-yard box. The positioning of the wall for the fourth is poor which again is a goalkeeper's responsibility. I thought the shot went through the wall but he's left the gap at the side for Little to aim at. His starting positions are all wrong and give the impression that he was helpless for the goals when in actual fact he wasn't, in my opinion.

Cant really blame Scully for a lot of that.The first his positioning seems fine, edge of the six yard box and the rest seems a case of defenders jumping out the way of the ball.

For anyone who has played in goals at any level one of the worst things is your defenders rushing out to block a shot and then at the last moment turning their back on it.I'd fine defenders that do that. The defender's position pushes the keeper to one side and the the ball often goes "through" the defender and into the net making the keeper look out of position.

You see it happen at every level from fives to champions league.Vah Der Sar went mental in the champions league final at Rio F doing excatly that against Barca.

It's somthing that doesnt seem to be coached at all into defenders to stay straight up with arms down and take the hit .Watch how many times you see it happen on TV next season.

***** defending cost us more in that game than poor goalkeeping.

Have to agree with Armand's comments on the goaly. Even on seeing their first goal live, with everyone around me making reluctant but appreciative noises, I kinda thought "aye, but what was the keep doing?" It WAS a lovely strike - but that doesn't mean the keeper can't save it. Kinda like McFadzean v. France in Paris a few years back?

Have to agree with Armand's comments on the goaly. Even on seeing their first goal live, with everyone around me making reluctant but appreciative noises, I kinda thought "aye, but what was the keep doing?" It WAS a lovely strike - but that doesn't mean the keeper can't save it. Kinda like McFadzean v. France in Paris a few years back?

Get a grip. Even Buffon wouldn't have seen that one.

How often do you see strikes like that come off?

Are you suggesting that Scully should position himself for the one in a million strike, or the one which on the basis of probability is most likely to happen from the move that's shaping up in front of him?

He got done by an outrageous hit. If anything, you should ask why the scorer got the space to control the ball, take a touch and then hit the shot of his career so far.