A Momentous Occasion...

jagscast

So, Dad hits out with this gem earlier in the week:

"Aye, so, eh, Saturday marks my 50th year of watching Thistle."

Turns out he is spot on.

22nd September, 1962. Hearts at Firhill, 2-2.

An incredible landmark, exactly 50 years.

Who remembers their first game?

Who took you?

What was the score?

Vinny

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

St. Johnstone at Firhill, 16th October 1971, The Jags won 2-1, my next door neighbour played for the Saints, Kenny Aird so I was able to give him a bit of a ribbing.

My Brother took me! My Brother played football on a Saturday so my Dad and I used to always go and watch him playing so although claiming to be a Jags fan along with my Dad Brother and Uncle. This was the first game I actually got to just a month short of my 11th Birthday. I wish I could say I was at the game a week later but sadly I wasn't! My Brother was there though and I have his Programmes from the Final and the Semi Final.

Wednesday 30th March 1977 v's Motherwell, a 0-0 draw, but I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I went along with my mate and his Dad who were lifelong Jags Fans, and from that day on I never looked back, well I cried, sobbed and wailed a lot since, but you know what I mean.

I had another 0-0 each draw for my 2nd game and had to wait till my third game to see the Jags score and win 1-0 against Hibs - needless to say the scorer Jim Melrose became my hero!

I can't recall for certain if this was my first ever game but the earliest match I can say for sure I was at was Jags 0 Airdrie 0 on Sat 1st May 1982.

The next game I was at was a fortnight later was when we were beaten 2-1 by Dundee United and that was that; no more Premier League games for 10 long, long years.

First game I remember (I think) was against Queens Park in 2000 the season we won the second division, can't remember if it was home or away or anything about it at all in fact. But I do know that since I have been a proud Jags fan and forever will be. :fan:

Suppose it helped to get me hooked that when I began my journey as a Thistle fan we won two successive promotions :hypocrite:

However I'm incredibly pleased to be a Jags fan and I have even managed to get my mate back this season who has somehow hardly ever seen us lose (even in the Dick Campbell era) to some games this season, so let's keep this magnificent form going please. :clapping:

apparently I was at a Jags v Hibs game when I was about 4 or 5, which would mean around 1965/6 but I dont remember it. I saw us a few times when we got relegated in 69/70 and the game that sticks out was a 4-3 win v St Johnstone when we were losing 3-1. I remember jumping over the wall behind the goal at the north terracing end with loads of other kids. I sort of count that as my first game.

I also remember the old man taking me to a Glasgow Cup tie in the very early 70's at Ibrox and sitting in the main stand. I said I preferred the team in Red & Yellow. That was it for me!! Scarred for life :thumbsup2:

October 81 @ Firhill we beat Hibs, I remember we (me and my Dad) walked round from the teracing to the Main Stand. The ball ended up where we had been standing earlier... for about the next 9 years we sat in the same seats in the Main Stand. I remember the pie stall in the Stand would only sell crisps (Golden Wonder Ready Salted) after all the pies had been sold..... and my first memories of Robert Reid (selling scratch cards).... Oh and Mo Jo's Mum and Dad who got us many a away ticket and me a press photo (reproduced in the OH book).

7Aug 1967. Jags 0-0 Nottingham Forest after moaning at father for previous couple of years about me not going. Stood in City End. Spent more time watching and listening to the one mad English guy than game. Family realised I was hooked. Can't remember first goal but standing behind goal for first year or two I got hooked on goalies. Niven was my first hero.

I remember a game at Cathkin in which wee Jocky Robertson and John Freebairn were the goalies. My late dad told me that he took me to my first jags game when I was two so that would mean 1956 for me!!! 56 YEARS A JAGSMAN. Been to every home European game the club has played. Its been an enjoyable roller coaster ride!

Edited by Lindau

So, Dad hits out with this gem earlier in the week:

"Aye, so, eh, Saturday marks my 50th year of watching Thistle."

Turns out he is spot on.

22nd September, 1962. Hearts at Firhill, 2-2.

An incredible landmark, exactly 50 years.

Who remembers their first game?

Who took you?

What was the score?

Vinny

I've got maybees one year on your faither, Vinny. Sounds so much better if I say my first game was v Dundee early '62. That was the year Dundee won the league and evidently without cheating. In true Jags style we beat them 3-0 (Neilly Duffy getting a couple) and I believe it was George Niven's first game.

In fact I'd been to Firhill for a few matches during the season and well before that game but can't mind who we played. It was just all the talk was about Dundee that season and there was quite a build up to that game.

My Dad took me to the games back then. He wasn't a Jags fan but hated the ugly sisters big time and tho' he never said was clearly trying to push me away from that evil.

Incidentally my first ever international was also 61/62 when I had the pleasure of watching Scotland easily beat England 2-0 at Hampden. Heady days, indeed.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

My dad took me along to Firhill since I was a babe in arms 66/67 season mainly because if he didn't then he wasn't allowed to go.

I grew up on a diet of spearmint chewing gum and macaroon bars before my first taste of a pie.

Was at Hampden for the League Cup final against the tims - still have a scar on the back of my napper from falling off my uncle's shoulders at the 3rd goal (ach you'll be fine, here have some sweeties). I remember THAT party, it went on for days and I don't think I've ever had such a tiredness headache ever since.

My dad was a friend of Brian (moustache) Whittaker and we got a tour round the stadium (and I gave Bertie Auld a big cigar) before the game v Morton when we got horsed 4-0 with the fattie Andy Ritchie scoring at least 2 sometime in the late 70's/early 80's. Still remember Brian's face when we took the Hearts 1-0 at Tynecastle in the Cup the year he moved there - a picture indeeed!

One of my enduring memories is the marathon Cup games against Clyde at Shawfield (replay I think) when the match was abandonded because the gypos couldnae keep the lights on, a riot on the terraces and then when it was eventually played we battered them 7-1?(0) with Super Mo scoring like he used to do up the dancin' - plenty of 'em and all pretty cheap!

Happy days.

Really interesting to read the comments on this thread, those first games can be memorable. I'm too old to remember my first Jags game though it would have been in the mid-1950s when we lived on the Garscube Rd. My late father was a blue-nose but we often went to Firhill, I do remember seeing Bobby Evans playing for Celtic against us if that helps date it.

I do recall my oldest son's first game, against the newly-established Meadowbank Thistle, early 1980? We lost 2-1 and a clearly distressed older Jags fan in front us was near to tears saying" A bloody works-team. A bloody works-team."

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Younger readers should note that Meadowbank had formerly been Ferranti thistle, a works-team.