Attendances

Lenziejag2

Despite them believing their own publicity, what has struck me in recent years has been the paucity of the Celtic and Rangers/Sevco travelling support. Gone are the days when a game against one of them would bring around 15,000/20,000 crowds to Firhill (even where it large enough!). Ipso facto in terms of actual "bums on seats" we do as well, if not better with Aberdeen, Motherwell, St. Mirren and Dundee United, minus the added policing costs as well.

Despite them believing their own publicity, what has struck me in recent years has been the paucity of the Celtic and Rangers/Sevco travelling support. Gone are the days when a game against one of them would bring around 15,000/20,000 crowds to Firhill (even where it large enough!). Ipso facto in terms of actual "bums on seats" we do as well, if not better with Aberdeen, Motherwell, St. Mirren and Dundee United, minus the added policing costs as well.

FFS don't tell the ugly sisters that. Remember Armageddon?

A poster at scottishleague.net returns an interesting find from his Freedom of Information request:

1. Attendance figure passed to the Police at Celtic Park today 1st January 2014.

2. The number of arrests.

4 arrests as follows:

2 arrested for possession of a controlled container within a designated sporting event.

1 arrested for Breach of the Peace.

1 arrested for Threatening or Abusive Behaviour (with a sectarian and homophobic aggravation).

A poster at scottishleague.net returns an interesting find from his Freedom of Information request:

1. Attendance figure passed to the Police at Celtic Park today 1st January 2014.

4 arrests as follows:

2 arrested for possession of a controlled container within a designated sporting event.

1 arrested for Threatening or Abusive Behaviour (with a sectarian and homophobic aggravation).

I was sure I overheard Celtic people after the game say that there were "20,000 odd" at the game and that was a decent crowd for Jan 1st.

IMO some were very odd, but that's another matter. Anyway, not the 52,000 they claimed.

4 arrests as follows:

So no one was arrested on New Years Day for being drunk. This country has gone to the Dogs; how can this be? A nation that prides itself on it's alcoholism. This would not be allowed to happen in an independent Scotland and I'm sure Alex Salmond's soon to be announced Free Beer for All referendum promise for those 16 and over will ensure that we will rise and be a nation again and a drunken one at that!

Apologies! I am a bit slow this week! Saturday/Sunday attendances at SPFL Prem matches were as follows: Hearts v M'well - 12888 [a smaller crowd than for the game against PTFC]; PTFC v Ross County - 3539 [modest Dingwall travelling support contributed to lower overall attendance]; ICT v Dundee Utd - 2980 [how many of these were DU supporters?]; and St J v St M - 2329 [still not much support at Perth!].

Regarding away attendances, is there any website where to look for the travelling support´s exact figure for each game?

The other day I was surprised to see the Football Conference down South has a guy each Saturday on twitter providing info on most of matches and when the crowd figure is mentioned for any match, the number of away fans is being mentioned.

On the other hand, sometimes I listen to Sportsound via the satellite dish and we are lucky if the attendances are mentioned.

Apologies! I am a bit slow this week! Saturday/Sunday attendances at SPFL Prem matches were as follows: Hearts v M'well - 12888 [a smaller crowd than for the game against PTFC]; PTFC v Ross County - 3539 [modest Dingwall travelling support contributed to lower overall attendance]; ICT v Dundee Utd - 2980 [how many of these were DU supporters?]; and St J v St M - 2329 [still not much support at Perth!].

Jeezo, those last two attendances look like they belong in the Championship!

In fairness, the fact that the ICT/Arabs game was an early Sunday KO and live on TV to boot won't exactly have helped.

Regarding attendances, Dundee are much better supported than half of the SPL clubs.

Which makes me think about Hearts´s figures next season in the Championship. I wonder how many will stay. They have really been well supported this season but, will they have 7,000+ next season as normal attendance?

Regarding attendances, Dundee are much better supported than half of the SPL clubs.

Which makes me think about Hearts´s figures next season in the Championship. I wonder how many will stay. They have really been well supported this season but, will they have 7,000+ next season as normal attendance?

I think the Hearts fans will stick by the club. They have c. 10,000 season ticket holders this season. The club will still need their money and support next season so think most will renew their ticket.

When Hibs were relegated years ago they kept most of the home support and had great attendances (from memory). They did walk the 1st Div that season whereas Hearts will be competing with Rangers at least and maybe even Dundee and/or another Premiership team depending how things go this season with play-offs.

If they are not out of admin(or business) do they get another points deduction ?

Look for section E in the SPFL rules.

No further deduction but if I am reading correctly there is a 15 point deduction for every further season whilst the insolvency event/process continues.

Interestingly, if any team comes out of admin and suffers another insolvency event within five years they suffer a 25 point deduction.

Must say I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the Killie support on Saturday. PTFC v Killie - 4092. Hibs v St M - 9610 (is that shading downwards a bit?); Aberdeen v ICT - 12021 (good support in the north-east); Ross Cty v Dundee Utd - 3609 (how many visiting fans?); St J v Hearts - 3395 (I would guess a third of these were Jambos); Celtic v Motherwell - 47489 (anybody know how many were actually present?).

I know it was a damp midweek evening; I know it was a re-arranged match; I know there were problems with the ticketing - BUT the attendance of only 2719 for last night's game v. St Johnstone could well be a negative signal that we need to take seriously! The fact that the Jags were really poor last night, with a number of players under-performing, will only serve to exacerbate the situation. It is now essential to get all three points at New Love Street on Saturday!

There is still one game to go of this weekend's SPFL Prem fixtures, but this weekend's attendance figures are: Hibs v Celtic - 12542; M'well v Abdn - 5756; St M v PTFC - 4660; Ross Cty v Hearts - 4016; Killie v ICT - 3035. It was great to be part (again!) of a big and noisy Jags support at New Love Street!

Saturday's attendance was just 48% of the 7822 that turned up for the first night of the season against United. That's a colossal drop in numbers for such an attractive fixture on Saturday with no Christmas shopping excuses and no other sporting distractions.

Makes it very difficult to predict cash-flow and it must be impossible at this stage to budget for players contracts beyond May.

The board and the manager are doing a fantastic job with unpredictable resources.