Attendances

Lenziejag2

2 of our 4 lowest home league attendances last season were against Raith with only 1832 and 1918 coming to those games. Factor in christmas shopping and parties, money being tight, the cold weather and that we played them at home in the cup recently and yesterday was to be expected. On the plus side it was still 400 up on what we got last year for the same fixture.

Edited by scottymagoo
  • Like 1

Also, just watching the Italian football on ESPN. Apparently there were more Udinese fans at that game but they were in a different section of the stadium.

I'd forgotten how difficult they make it to buy tickets for Italian football jagfox. A few friends and I turned up half and hour before kick off at the Stadio Olimpico for a Roma game a few years ago only to be told we had to get a bus into the city centre and find an official club shop to get a ticket. We watched the first half in a bar, there were about 40,000 empty seats. Thankfully the game was awful and finished 0-0 so we dodged a bullet and went to the Colisuem instead which was excellent. Anyway, the moral of the story is if you're in Italy and you want to go to a game you'll need top sort your tickets in advance. And the Coliseum is excellent.

On the subject of the Boxing Day game, if there is a big crowd then hopefully the main stand will be open for the away support, as this will help to generate a better atmosphere. I think moving the singing section to the north stand has been a success, but the downside is that many people sat in the JHS are unable to actually see the travelling support.

They will just make the away section in JHS bigger if a bigger away support is expected as they did for Dunfermline. Makes sense really. No point wasting money opening a stand when they JHS can seat everyone.

I could have sworn the away section was smaller yesterday. Looking at the pictures I took of both yesterday and the Dunfermline cup game it seems like I was right, with the Raith fans having a whole section of seats less. I fully expect it to be bigger for the Morton game though.

I wonder how many Morton will bring. Their home attendances have been pretty variable this season, with over 3500 when we went there yet only 1300 yesterday. I know we took a fair number with us, but that's still a big difference. Considering this is a bigger game than the one at Cappielow, and that it's on Boxing day, I would expect at least 1000, probably quite a bit more.

That's probably true. I know it was a bit of struggle for me to get along yesterday! :blush:

That's a very good point. We will just have to hope that the weather holds out on Boxing Day, and that the club have a sufficient number of staff in place to deal with the demand.

On the subject of the Boxing Day game, if there is a big crowd then hopefully the main stand will be open for the away support, as this will help to generate a better atmosphere. I think moving the singing section to the north stand has been a success, but the downside is that many people sat in the JHS are unable to actually see the travelling support.

Why do you want to see them? They're usually very ugly.

When they scored their first yesterday I heard them loud and clear, as I was sitting up that end of the JH stand. For the second half I was down at the city end of the JH, and I couldn't believe the silence that greeted their goal. I wondered if they hadn't gone home and missed it. All the more reason for seeing the north stand move as a success, as now there is loud Thistle support all around (err, well, on two sides) of the stadium.

I could have sworn the away section was smaller yesterday. Looking at the pictures I took of both yesterday and the Dunfermline cup game it seems like I was right, with the Raith fans having a whole section of seats less. I fully expect it to be bigger for the Morton game though.

I wonder how many Morton will bring. Their home attendances have been pretty variable this season, with over 3500 when we went there yet only 1300 yesterday. I know we took a fair number with us, but that's still a big difference. Considering this is a bigger game than the one at Cappielow, and that it's on Boxing day, I would expect at least 1000, probably quite a bit more.

Except that there will be almost no public transport, or very reduced services. That might dissuade a fair number of fans.

With the exception of the Dunfermline and Falkirk games we haven't had more than 3000 this season and are normally nearer the 2500 mark. Morton being up there in the league and likely to bring a decent support should see us break 3000 again but I wouldn't expect it to be like the Dunfermline game. Boxing Day is as likely to result in as many regulars being busy with family and not coming as non-regulars turning up because they have nothing to do and got £20 in their stocking. If we get the same number than went to Cappielow then that would be a good attendance for me. Anything more than that would be a great turn out.

Crowd for the Morton game will probably be above average as the away support will be better than average. Not sure there'll be many more Jags than usual. I always miss the Boxing Day game because I spend Christmas with family in the north, although this is compensated by a mate who lives down south but spends Christmas with family in Glasgow so this will be one of his few games of the season.

Why do you want to see them? They're usually very ugly.

When they scored their first yesterday I heard them loud and clear, as I was sitting up that end of the JH stand. For the second half I was down at the city end of the JH, and I couldn't believe the silence that greeted their goal. I wondered if they hadn't gone home and missed it. All the more reason for seeing the north stand move as a success, as now there is loud Thistle support all around (err, well, on two sides) of the stadium.

I know they are usually very ugly, so if I can see them it makes me feel better about myself. :)

Aye, I heard the Raith fans yesterday too after they took the lead but that often isn't the case. If it is a very large crowd - like we had for the Dunfermline game - then the main stand could even be opened for Thistle fans, potentially. They could easily have housed, say, 1000 people there for the Dunfermline game and the JHS would still have felt full. I just think it would be nice to see fans - ugly or otherwise - occupying all three parts of the ground, especially for a big game.

I know they are usually very ugly, so if I can see them it makes me feel better about myself. :)

Aye, I heard the Raith fans yesterday too after they took the lead but that often isn't the case. If it is a very large crowd - like we had for the Dunfermline game - then the main stand could even be opened for Thistle fans, potentially. They could easily have housed, say, 1000 people there for the Dunfermline game and the JHS would still have felt full. I just think it would be nice to see fans - ugly or otherwise - occupying all three parts of the ground, especially for a big game.

100% agreement.

Combined attendances for the 3 Scottish Cup games - 2,193. Fewer than the attendance on Saturday. OK the 3 ties tonight were not exactly block-busters but surely attendances are impacted by the weather, pre-Xmas finances and the fact that season tickets are not valid for cup ties. Perhaps the earlier rounds of the cup need to be one-offs with et and penalties - it might make them more attractive and would also avoid the dire impact of mid-week replays (albeit 2 of the games tonight were postponements).

I would subscribe to the comments of JeanieD. Honestly, what can one say to tonight's Cup attendances? Morton v Turriff - 915; Dumbie v Accies - 469; Cowden v St Johnstone - 809. Well done to anyone from Turriff who travelled to Greenock on a Monday evening! They contributed to the best attendance of the night. The tie at Cowdenbeath ahould have pulled in more punters, with the visitors being a so-called "Premier" outfit. The attendance at New Boghead (or whatever it is called this week) - an all-SFL1 tie - is frankly a joke! Just wait until the massive Jags support turn up for the all-ticket match there!

In response to G SUS: Dumbarton's website gives their home attendances thus far as 695, 1021, 695, 1041, 774 and 1188 = total 5414 = average 902. So tonight's attendance of 469 really is paltry!

It is poor, but there are reasons for it.

Namely:

1. Dumbartons shocking form so far

2. The fact this game had been postponed 4 times already, and the uncertainty of it if would go ahead until late afternoon

3. The Christmas Factor.

Mid-week games are generally less well attended so that should be factored in as well. It'll also be six times now that Dumbarton will play Hamilton this season so plenty of opportunity for the fans to see the sides play again. And it won't be included in the season ticket.

Edited by scottymagoo

Scottish football is in real danger of going down the plug hole. I am not optimistic about getting a big crowd v Morton. Did they not have a pretty poor turnout on Saturday as well ?

Attendances are fine. We're a small country, just how many people do you want attending games? :rolleyes: