Attendances

Lenziejag2

Correct. For me the bing sums up the legacy of Brown McMaster, Tom Hughes and the rest of that disastrous board of directors. When you look back at why we ended up with the bing, it still beggars belief how incompetent those guys were.

I had a bit of time for McMaster at one point, but that's long lost.

I wouldn't put McMaster, Hughes and Cowan in charge of a tuck shop - incompetent buffoons.

The decision to plough ahead with the demolition of the City End without planning permission was extraordinary.

I hate it because you no longer have the choice between terracing and seating if we go there away in the future plus what looks like a gazebo out on it's own in the top left corner if watching on TV looks odd to say the least even if it was needed to get enough seats for the SPL.

Miss the trip to Dingwall and Victoria Pk was fine the way it was. That said we never took a huge following (quite naturally) and I might have a different point of view if we were crammed in either the open terracing, which ain't that steeply banked, or that wee bit of the stand.

Edited to add...re yesterday's attendance. I thought it was rather poor but wonder what would've been the turnout if the prices were £17/£12. Get a feeling it wouldn't have been so much lower and the two clubs could've made more from the gate. Not that I believe that should be the be all and end all of pricing but maybe lost revenue all the same.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I hate the new stand at Dingwall, just the same as so many other stadia now when the terracing was great. The seating in the home fans old terracing behind the goal looks dreadful too and behind the goals for them must be an awful view.

I was surprised Inverness didn't sell their end out either as there was noticeable gaps at the sides.

Inverness are a joke club. Second in the SPL and they can't even fill the stand on their first visit to their local rival's redeveloped ground. Thats why it ***** me off so much to see us grubbing in the lower leagues when diddy mobs like them can barely attract 3000 fans despite being second in the country and pumping the old firm twice.

I had a bit of time for McMaster at one point, but that's long lost.

I wouldn't put McMaster, Hughes and Cowan in charge of a tuck shop - incompetent buffoons.

The decision to plough ahead with the demolition of the City End without planning permission was extraordinary.

This disastrous episode was made worse by the complete lack of any apology by that board for it's mistakes. Indeed Mr. Cowan and the rest seemed smugly proud of their actions. The vision this particular chairman had for Firhill was as a two-sided stadium - one result being the three major dramatic moments yesterday (the sending-off goal and penalty) being broadcast to viewers to a back-drop of a hideous, scruffy, grass bank. Along with an apparantly abandoned Main Stand , this is the face of Firhill presented on tv to the public.

On the subject matter of The Cowan Bing, was there mention in a thread some weeks ago of the club considering some temporary improvement to this eyesore? Even from a pragmatic point of view something like a high fence for adverts or banners would make a little difference.

I think that maybe at the end of the day Mr Cowan didn't make the best decisions for Thistle - but don't forget that he was very prominent in the Save the Jags campaign.

Plenty of people were "prominent" in the STJ campaign, so what? That was 15 years ago now, it's hardly an "ace card" for these guys anymore.

I think that maybe at the end of the day Mr Cowan didn't make the best decisions for Thistle - but don't forget that he was very prominent in the Save the Jags campaign.

He was but did he not receive a million shares? I'm sure McMaster did anyway. They are Thistle fans and we have to move on with the new board. Maybe they will donate their shares if we can organise some level of fan representation on the board or even supporters takeover? Happy with the board at the moment. Mr. Beattie seems very enthusiastic for his role.

• Members

Hughes and McMaster were the beneficiaries of the 1 million free shares with which they promised to safeguard the future of the Club. Lot of good that has done!

Lots of folk contributed greatly to the Club at STJ. Michael Max, Bobby Briggs, Campbell Hughes, George and Rosie Carson etc, etc. Funny how so many of these folk have been chased away from the Club over the years isn't it? It's only a pity that Hughes and Cowan weren't chased off sooner.

A further scanning of the complete set of weekend attendances for the Scottish Cup 4th Round suggests that the attendance at Firhill (3197) was really quite good! Of the 14 ties which were played, PTFC v Dunfermline achieved the 7th best attendance. That's good!

Sorry, I kinda miss the point of the 7th best attendance. Did you take into consideration the discount on offer re gate price from us and the Pars?

I don't really see what's good about the turnout given that prices were either just over 40% less or nearly 60% less than a league game. OK the under 16s had to stump up £5 but I feel both clubs will be disappointed their reduced price offer appears to have fallen flat.

Sorry, I kinda miss the point of the 7th best attendance. Did you take into consideration the discount on offer re gate price from us and the Pars?

I don't really see what's good about the turnout given that prices were either just over 40% less or nearly 60% less than a league game. OK the under 16s had to stump up £5 but I feel both clubs will be disappointed their reduced price offer appears to have fallen flat.

I spoke with Ian Maxwell before the game and he said he would be happy with a crowd of 3.000 so I don't think it is fair to say lowering the prices failed. It really depends on what the club would have budgeted for when the draw was made as to whether the crowd was good or bad and it would appear that we were on the mark in that reagard.

The point I was trying to make was that without his input then - we might not be here today. It is easy to criticise when things go wrong and totally forget the good things.

On both your unemboldened and emboldened points .....

:shok::shocked::shok::shocked::shok::shocked::shok::shocked::shok:

Care to draw up a list of these in your defence Mr Cowan?

Listen, I am not involved in the politics of PTFC, I have no inside knowledge and I am not defending Alan Cowan. I am talking about my perception of what went on at the time. So, from my perspective he was the one that was in the media spotlight and taking the lead. I also remember that there was a lot of support for that new board.

So if you guys knew some dodgy dealing was going on, or some flaw in their ability to work for the good of PTFC, you should have done something about it then ! Don't just spout off about it after the event. That's easy.

Will - they haven't gone anywhere. Hughes, McMaster, Cowan and Springford were all living it up in hospitality on Saturday.

I can't believe that these guys have the brass neck to step foot inside Firhill. Hughes in particular was an absolute disaster as Chairman.

I accept that these guys may have helped us during STJ but lets not forget, they all made sure that they were rewarded with free shares. And anyway, the way they conducted themselves in the years since then makes everything they did during STJ meaningless in my opinion

• Members

Listen, I am not involved in the politics of PTFC, I have no inside knowledge and I am not defending Alan Cowan. I am talking about my perception of what went on at the time. So, from my perspective he was the one that was in the media spotlight and taking the lead. I also remember that there was a lot of support for that new board.

So if you guys knew some dodgy dealing was going on, or some flaw in their ability to work for the good of PTFC, you should have done something about it then ! Don't just spout off about it after the event. That's easy.

I think you'll find that I've been more than critical of Mr Cowan for more than just a while. Don't paint the guy as some sort of saviour because that was your perception. I'd hate to think that some fairly recent fan got the impression that Cowan saved the Club when that's so far from the truth just because he was in the media spotlight.

Of course folk were grateful to these guys at the time. The Club was saved. One or two of them were very well rewarded for saving the Club, both financially and by privilege of their position within the Club. Over time it could be argued some of them abused that privilege and it was the Club and fans (some very dedicated fans at that too) that suffered as a result. For a while, during McMasters initial spell as Chairman, I think they did rather well, probably because of the Lambie twilight years. However, they constantly got it wrong after Lambie retired and dug us deeper and deeper into a hole. We've only recently started to emerge from this hole, funnily enough, since the running of the Club has been taken away from these guys. Some folk may have their reservations about what the current Board are up to with their Propco dealings, but I doubt we'd be anywhere near where we are if the usual suspects were still running things.

• Members

Will - they haven't gone anywhere. Hughes, McMaster, Cowan and Springford were all living it up in hospitality on Saturday.

I can't believe that these guys have the brass neck to step foot inside Firhill. Hughes in particular was an absolute disaster as Chairman.

I accept that these guys may have helped us during STJ but lets not forget, they all made sure that they were rewarded with free shares. And anyway, the way they conducted themselves in the years since then makes everything they did during STJ meaningless in my opinion

I meant in very loose terms Ian, they were chased away from the day to day running of the Club. I'm well aware that Hughes and Cowan in particular are still regular attendants at the game. Never had anything to do with Springford. Just a silent partner kind if thing as far as I know during his time at Firhill. He put his own cash into the Club even though he wasn't that interested in Partick Thistle or football IIRC. His wasn't a free ride. McMaster for all his failings was always very approachable. The least said about Hughes and Cowan the better in my experience of them.
  • Like 1

I'm similar to LenzieJag where I don't really follow the politics of the club.

But if people were chased away. and I really struggle to understand how they can suddenly stop following a club they claim to support and love, then we have a whole new setup and David Beattie, the remainder of the board (apologies as again I don't follow them individually but respect the work they are doing) and the OneThistle team have been a breath of fresh air.

There is no reason for people to avoid Firhill. The custodians change. The club continues.

Giving the club money at a time when the hospitality is, frankly, rubbish and in doing so coming to see the team they clearly support? Shocking.

Giving the club money at a time when the hospitality is, frankly, rubbish and in doing so coming to see the team they clearly support? Shocking.

I think it's great that they are happy to give their hard earned to the club via hospitality.

But it must feel weird sitting there knowing that those looking over at you, all they can think is, there's tom hughes, the guy who's ego and inability to use a calculator nearly killed our club, oh and there's allan cowan, the public face of Tom Hughes.