Attendances

Lenziejag2

Everyone entering the stadium has to be counted for health and safety reasons. The official attendance counts season book holders, whither they attend or not, afaik.

Nonsense. The attendance is counted by the amount of clicks from each turnstile, along with hospitality guests etc. You can't include people in the attendance who aren't even there!

Why were the attendances at the SPL matches so poor? Easy: too expensive for the modest quality on show, and mind-numbing repetitiveness. People see through the hype, when the same times meet up to 4 times in a season and there's actually little to play for. The Premiership is also unbelievably hyped up, but at least there is much less repetition of fixtures.

The SPL should have 16 teams.

Everyone entering the stadium has to be counted for health and safety reasons.

If that's correct I'm surprised I'm allowed in. :)

Must have been a logistics nightmare yesterday. I'd be very surprised if such a large crowd had been anticipated. Quite a handful of fans stood in the stand entrances for much of the first half. They didn't seem bothered and obviously preferred not searching for a seat to missing any part of the game.

Why were the attendances at the SPL matches so poor? Easy: too expensive for the modest quality on show, and mind-numbing repetitiveness. People see through the hype, when the same times meet up to 4 times in a season and there's actually little to play for. The Premiership is also unbelievably hyped up, but at least there is much less repetition of fixtures.

The SPL should have 16 teams.

Yes, but:

ICT v Hearts 3332; St Mirren v Aberdeen 4486; Motherwell v Dundee 4318; Kilmarnock v Ross County 4012.

A fair bit of travelling for away fans at 3 of those fixtures. Well-Dundee the only fixture verging on similar distance to us and the Pars. And it was a top-two clash at Firhill.

We mustn't let Saturday's 5268 crowd get sidelined! It was a bigger crowd than all four Saturday SPL crowds and bigger than all the other four SFL1 games added together (including the Friday fixture at New Broomfield), 5268 v. 5219. Quality football does bring better crowd numbers! C'mon the Jags!

What interests me is how many Thistle fans will be at the game on Saturday against Livingston at Firhill? We had over 4,000 for the Dunfermline game and obviously that was 1st v 2nd (and we were 2nd) but we will probably be 1st going in to the Livingston game so how many who witnessed that fantastic performance will be there for this game? Hopefully with this being a free weekend people can do their Christmas shopping (or just do it online - see my numerous posts on easyfundraising) so that reason won't come in to play for non attendance. I will be disappointed if the crowd next Saturday is less than 3,500.

What interests me is how many Thistle fans will be at the game on Saturday against Livingston at Firhill? We had over 4,000 for the Dunfermline game and obviously that was 1st v 2nd (and we were 2nd) but we will probably be 1st going in to the Livingston game so how many who witnessed that fantastic performance will be there for this game? Hopefully with this being a free weekend people can do their Christmas shopping (or just do it online - see my numerous posts on easyfundraising) so that reason won't come in to play for non attendance. I will be disappointed if the crowd next Saturday is less than 3,500.

The problem with home crowds this season has been the away support.

Dunfermline brought 1000 fans which means the home support must have been about 4200.

I don't expect a big Livingston support and this game doesn't have the appeal of the Dunfermline game. I think the crowd will be around 3000, I really can't see us exceeding 3500. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

The problem with home crowds this season has been the away support.

Dunfermline brought 1000 fans which means the home support must have been about 4200.

I don't expect a big Livingston support and this game doesn't have the appeal of the Dunfermline game. I think the crowd will be around 3000, I really can't see us exceeding 3500. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

So 4,200 fans in the home section against the Pars. Take off people taking advantage of free entry for military personnel and neutrals you might be down to 3,900 Thistle fans. Say there are 500 who can't make it along for Livingston then add on 200 for Livingston's support and you are at 3,600.

What has happened in the past is the club manage to get a decent crowd along but the team underperform and the lapsed fan who had been enticed along says "see you again in a couple of seasons". This time the team performed and I don't see why those who came along would not want to come back again.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

The other SFL1 attendances this weekend were: Cowden v Airdrie 423 (sorry, but this is a miserable attendance at a miserable ground); Dumbarton v Morton 1188 (just about full capacity for this 'local derby'); Livi v Falkirk 1471 (this should be classed as a local derby, so is a poor attendance); Raith v Dumfie 4294 (much more like it for the Fife derby). It says something when the Jags travelling support to NDP was more than three times the crowd at Central Park, greater than the New Boghead local derby attendance, and just about co-equal with the game at Livi. Wonder what the Dumfie travelling support at Kirkcaldy was? Oh - and by the way - we are still top of the league!

I would be surprised if Livingston bring more than 250. They're finding decent form, but they had less than 1500 against Falkirk today.

Last week was a particularly big match, so you can expect a lot of armchair supporters to miss the Livingston match, but 3000 is certainly an achievable target. Any more would be a bonus.

If we'd won last night and thus sent out a clear message that we are the real deal, a league-winning team the likes of which we haven't seen since 70-71, then many of those who turned up last week for the first time in ages might have come back. Last night's defeat, however, suggests that we're not yet consistent enough to keep glory hunters satisfied.

• Like 1

Oh dear! Only 2948 bothered to turn up for ICT v. Motherwell! I don't want to hear any nonsense about (a) it was on TV, or (B) Inverness is a long way from anywhere! Inverness has City status and claims a "Premier" football team. Exactly the same applies to St Johnstone! Perth has City status and claims a "Premier" football team, but only 3037 bothered to go to St J v. Ross County! These teams are a joke! If East Stirlingshire v. Another Glasgow Team can draw 2854, Raith v. Dumfie gets 4294, and Accies v. Jags gets 2450 on a Friday night, how can these so-called "Premier" teams continue to rule the roost in Scottish football!? Just bear this all in mind when you read about the latest SPL "ideas" on league reconstruction!

So 4,200 fans in the home section against the Pars. Take off people taking advantage of free entry for military personnel and neutrals you might be down to 3,900 Thistle fans. Say there are 500 who can't make it along for Livingston then add on 200 for Livingston's support and you are at 3,600.

What has happened in the past is the club manage to get a decent crowd along but the team underperform and the lapsed fan who had been enticed along says "see you again in a couple of seasons". This time the team performed and I don't see why those who came along would not want to come back again.

I don't think it is that simple. I think there is (1) a hard core of regulars - season ticket holders and people who will go to 80% of games. Then you have (2) the people who might go from 5/6 games a season to once a month. Then you have (3) the once/twice a season give it a go and get pissed off.

So for a big game you get all of (1) and (2) and some of (3).

That might seem obvious but the point is that getting increased attendances means getting the (2) to go more often which is why the 3/5/7/9 game packages are very useful as well as getting more of the (3)s to become (2)s. The (3)s aren't going to be persuaded by a 9-game package, although the 3 or 5 game packages might work. They will be persuaded by good home performances.

What exactly is the point in this every week?

Inverness still got more than we usually get for a Sunday early kick off even if it was a rubbish crowd, there was around 6700 at Dens Park including over 2000 Hibs fans, Hearts sold out their end at Tynecastle and Aberdeen had 18000 at Pittodrie.

We get 1 good crowd and all of a sudden the SPL and other SFL crowds are all terrible and we have a great support. It's easy enough when we're doing well.

Inverness still got more than we usually get for a Sunday early kick off even if it was a rubbish crowd, there was around 6700 at Dens Park including over 2000 Hibs fans, Hearts sold out their end at Tynecastle and Aberdeen had 18000 at Pittodrie.

We get 1 good crowd and all of a sudden the SPL and other SFL crowds are all terrible and we have a great support. It's easy enough when we're doing well.

Aye, makes us sound like the fans of that new team over Govan way.

Exactly. I only care about the size of our crowds, I couldn't care less if Motherwell vs Inverness has a small crowd attending - in fact I applaud those who made the effort, especially away fans. I'll leave the moaning about other teams support bases to Zombie Rangers and their fans.