Attendances

Lenziejag2

I believe the Strathmore is also going to close

A real shame, The Strathy is a good pub, not been in for a while mind you.

Seems like all roads lead to The Star & Garter.

It was definitely busier than I expected yesterday, which might be down to Munns closing. For what it's worth I never really liked Munns, always thought of it as the away fans pub.

A real shame, The Strathy is a good pub, not been in for a while mind you.

Seems like all roads lead to The Star & Garter.

It was definitely busier than I expected yesterday, which might be down to Munns closing. For what it's worth I never really liked Munns, always thought of it as the away fans pub.

The star and garter doesn't have sky though right? That really puts me of but you never know may well give it a try!

I started going to Munns this season as woody had no sky, not sure if that's changed. They really were trying - free pies, better selection of bottles etc, I think the bar was more home fans and the lounge the away fans. Either way a bit gutted to see it shut. Was thinking Strathmore next home game! I would go to the Aitken suite but to be honest it is utter crap for what you are getting!

I realise I diverted this thread away from attendances but it does sadden me to see so many places shutting down!

Perhaps we could/should come back on thread? If we set aside a one-sided skirmish in front of a half-full stadium in Govan, the only Scottish Cup 3rd round matches which attracted attendances in four figures were: PTFC v Cove Rangers - 1957; Edinburgh City v QoS - 1038; and Ayr United v Clachnacuddin - 1032. Interestingly, all three of these fixtures involved non-League teams. Whilst such fixtures would perhaps be a once-in-a-season attraction for non-League teams, it does beg the question of why the attendances everywhere else were so poor. We all know that the standard of the product on the field is not generally very good, but are there other underlying reasons which we should investigate?

I believe the Strathmore is also going to close

It's only recently changed hands as well!

I think the fact that it's just changed hands would indicate that it's not likely to close any time very soon. That said, you never know.

Before the massacre of Airdrie, there was one poor wee lassie behind the bar on her own. Not good management planning; either that or they were unaware that it can get quite mobbed in there before a match.

Still, not been quite the same since wee Billy - a diehard Thistle fan - sold it.

Last night's 0-0 draw between Aldershot and Wycombe Wanderers featured two of the bottom three clubs in the npower League 2 - the lowest division in the Football League - and yet they pulled in a crowd of 2042. Indeed, another 0-0 draw in that division, between Gillingham and Cheltenham, attracted 6096 paying spectators! And yet another 0-0 draw, between Bradford and Chesterfield, got a crowd of 8841! So, again I ask, where is everybody at the Scottish fixtures? It's not a simple matter of population - it must have to do with the quality of the product on display! This weekend's PTFC v Dunfermline Athletic attendance could be very interesting!

Last night's 0-0 draw between Aldershot and Wycombe Wanderers featured two of the bottom three clubs in the npower League 2 - the lowest division in the Football League - and yet they pulled in a crowd of 2042. Indeed, another 0-0 draw in that division, between Gillingham and Cheltenham, attracted 6096 paying spectators! And yet another 0-0 draw, between Bradford and Chesterfield, got a crowd of 8841! So, again I ask, where is everybody at the Scottish fixtures? It's not a simple matter of population - it must have to do with the quality of the product on display! This weekend's PTFC v Dunfermline Athletic attendance could be very interesting!

Bradford has a population of around 300,000 with more in nearby towns like Shipley. The neighbouring Kent/Medway towns of Gillingham, Rainham, Chatham and Rochester (less than a mile or two apart) have a total populations in excess of 250,000. Gravesend is only a few miles away.

Edited by kni

The simplest way to compare English and Scottish football attendances is to divide the English ones by 10, as the population in that country is ten times the size of ours.

Proportionally, we don't look so bad, with the exception of a couple of hideously bloated monsters.

I'm sure I read a statistic that had it that the Scottish leagues were the best supported, per head of population, in Europe.

I'm sure I read a statistic that had it that the Scottish leagues were the best supported, per head of population, in Europe.

I believe that statistic applies only to the top division in each country. If my memory serves me correctly, we wrestled that crown away from the Faeroe Islands a few years ago.

It is true. We're up there with Cyprus and someone else who I can't quite remember. Iceland or someone like that.

Edited to add:

http://foot.ie/threads/157230-Average-attendances-in-Europe-per-capita

Click on % "popul. per matchday"

Edited by twinny

It is true. We're up there with Cyprus and someone else who I can't quite remember. Iceland or someone like that.

Edited to add:

http://foot.ie/threa...rope-per-capita

Click on % "popul. per matchday"

The 2nd link is interesting as it shows the Scottish First Division in the top 50! In terms of %population on a match day just behind the Dutch 2nd tier and way ahead of Serie B and some other Top tiers. It is not, as some would have us believe, just the OF skewing the stats that gives Scotland such high figures.

Too many senior clubs in Scotland. Fans are split between too many clubs. This affects attendances.

I agree. Another factor is that several Junior clubs have bigger attendances than most of the "senior" clubs in Divisions 2 and 3. Then there is the East of Scotland league to consider too. There are vested interests that will fight a pyramid structure and necessary mergers.

I agree. Another factor is that several Junior clubs have bigger attendances than most of the "senior" clubs in Divisions 2 and 3. Then there is the East of Scotland league to consider too. There are vested interests that will fight a pyramid structure and necessary mergers.

This is where I find the SFL stinks. Other sports and businesses would see the benefit of amalgamation. An Angus FC (Montrose, Forfar, Brechin & Arbroath) on paper at least could eventually muster the support and finance to challenge at our sort of level. I know perfectly well that would be very unlikely to happen and fully understand the fans of these four clubs would be largely against. The point I'm making is that there's four clubs with no serious ambitions to play at the top level but have four votes in the decision making of clubs who do. It's hardly likely that these four clubs and other similar, who live in a comfort zone, are going to vote for radical change.

The tail wags the dug in the SFL and makes the possibility of an ill thought out SPL2 for us and clubs similar in size all the more likely.

If you were to start again. Using an example like Australia who have had a number of different tournaments and teams many of which were hampered by historical ties and anomosity between clubs and supporters with an ethnic immigrant foundation behind them. They ended up saying. Right. One Sydney team so no Croat and Serb association. One Melbourne team avoiding the Greek association etc etc. This would have to happen in Scotland including Rangers and Celtic if everyone was starting from scratch..

The above is not going to happen but tough decisions are going to have to be made. Teams in Div 2 and 3 are getting 3 figure crowds which is ridiculous. Yes I think teams are going to have to amalgamate or move into their own league, maybe become feeder B teams for the senior leagues. This opens up a totally different thread.

Back to Thistle - lets hope we get a good crowd behind us on Saturday and also Dunfermline bring a good away support.