Attendances

Lenziejag2

Good point, I think their break-even figure for this season was 4,500. It had been 6,000 in the Sphell. No wonder they are in trouble financially in the short as well as the long term. I wish them no harm, but it is not hard to see they will have to cut their cloth.

Given the current financial climate, are those attendance figures realistically achievable? Seem on the high side; but maybe Dunfermline have decided to burst the bank to go back up. Bit of a high risk strategy given that the league is so competitive.

what do you want us to do, make the money or just magic it out of thin air, i would love to buy a season ticket but couldnt afford it. if you are lucky enough to be able to then fine

Maybe the club should look to do a "Season Ticket" club like a xmas saving club but for ST's pay in as normal but when the teams away pay the standard admission fee into a fund, so about £40 a month over the year, season tickets bought for the next year and the scheme can start again

About a year after David Beattie proposed licensing (to sell alcohol) at games as a means of providing a vital revenue stream to clubs like ours, it's disappointing that our existing food and drink facilities remain dreadful.

I understand the current set up to be a franchise so I have no real qualms about having spent no more than the price of one bovril so far all season. I would much rather shell out the 20 quid or so that I spend on food and beer before most games at Firhill. However, until some consideration is given to what the customer would like rather than tit about with daft queuing systems and such, my money will get spent elsewhere.

I know there's many like me who have given up and over the course of a season that's a lot of wedge that could be going into the club.

The catering remains to be the most significant area that is consistently letting down the matchday experience at Firhill. I was shocked to see the size of the queue at the kiosk in the North Stand at half time for example.

When onethistle are making such an effort to promote the club, something like poor catering could possibly make the difference between newcomers to Firhill returning or not. If the current caterers aren't capable of providing the service we require then surely it's time to look elsewhere? The message from the fans seems to be a definite thumbs down on the service and the quality of the product on sale.

Will be interesting to know what kind of agreement we have with the caterers in terms of minimum standards of service. I don't believe for a minute that the club aren't aware of the problems, and with all the catering/service experience we have on the board they are surely aware the importance of getting this right.

• Like 2

The catering remains to be the most significant area that is consistently letting down the matchday experience at Firhill. I was shocked to see the size of the queue at the kiosk in the North Stand at half time for example.

When onethistle are making such an effort to promote the club, something like poor catering could possibly make the difference between newcomers to Firhill returning or not. If the current caterers aren't capable of providing the service we require then surely it's time to look elsewhere? The message from the fans seems to be a definite thumbs down on the service and the quality of the product on sale.

Will be interesting to know what kind of agreement we have with the caterers in terms of minimum standards of service. I don't believe for a minute that the club aren't aware of the problems, and with all the catering/service experience we have on the board they are surely aware the importance of getting this right.

I agree, I was in the North Stand on Saturday and took one look at the queue at half time before deciding not to bother. A couple of guys around me were moaning about the kiosk running out of things. The alternative of standing in a queue 5 minutes before the end of the half, or missing the first 5 minutes of the second just to be served is unacceptable. For me the catering is a minor part of going to Firhil but something warm at half time on a cold day would be welcomed.

Running out of hot water before half time was an absolute disgrace. The crowd was one of the lowest of the season. I could understand it, if it was a Dunfermline size crowd but for a game with a low crowd it was unacceptable.

Running out of hot water before half time was an absolute disgrace. The crowd was one of the lowest of the season. I could understand it, if it was a Dunfermline size crowd but for a game with a low crowd it was unacceptable.

Was that in the North Stand G SUS?

I wasn't aware of this, but you are of course correct. There is no way they should be running out of hot water at all, let alone before half time. Unbelievable.

I wasn't aware of this, but you are of course correct. There is no way they should be running out of hot water at all, let alone before half time. Unbelievable.

No - the JH. Neither stall at the city end of the JH effectively had any hot water at half time (despite stewards directing people away from one to go to the other if you wanted hot drinks!). Girls at the second stall seemed to be tipping the urn over towards themselves to get any water out, with minimal success, but I really did think I was going to witness an accident. On one of the coldest days at footie for a while, a hot drink would have been appreciated as well!

Problem just seems to be that nobody is in control.

Edited by MerryHell

I see that yesterday's (potentially attractive) St J v Hibs fixture (featuring goalscorer Paul Cairney) attracted a crowd of just 3266. I would regard that as disappointing, given Hibs' high-flying season and a direct motorway link between Edinburgh and Perth. As other correspondents have pointed out - Christmas, credit crunch, heating bills, etc. really haven't got anything to do with modest football crowds. They are driven by the quality of the product on offer. This fixture should have been attractive enough to pull in a bigger crowd. From a PTFC stance, my concern is that promotion to the SPL would not - as a matter of course - generate significantly bigger crowds, home or away. The enhanced costs of participation in the SPL suggest that we (PTFC) would need to be extremely prudent in respect of potential outlays. Any thoughts?

They ran out of hot water at the first kiosk from the south in the JHS. I thought to myself that's kinda tough but I'm only wanting a pie so at least the queue will be quicker. Wasn't any faster and in any case they ran out of pies.All well before half time

Could tolerate all this nonsense if at least you could watch the game on the telly at the kiosk but neither of them were working.

Yeah, I went to get a coffee and a mars bar 5 minutes before half time and was directed to a massive queue beside a fuzzy telly so didn't bother. On the plus side though I saved a couple of quid and didn't have to force down a rubbish instant coffee and long life milk. So much for fresh ingredients.

Edited by scottymagoo

I see that yesterday's (potentially attractive) St J v Hibs fixture (featuring goalscorer Paul Cairney) attracted a crowd of just 3266. I would regard that as disappointing, given Hibs' high-flying season and a direct motorway link between Edinburgh and Perth. As other correspondents have pointed out - Christmas, credit crunch, heating bills, etc. really haven't got anything to do with modest football crowds. They are driven by the quality of the product on offer. This fixture should have been attractive enough to pull in a bigger crowd. From a PTFC stance, my concern is that promotion to the SPL would not - as a matter of course - generate significantly bigger crowds, home or away. The enhanced costs of participation in the SPL suggest that we (PTFC) would need to be extremely prudent in respect of potential outlays. Any thoughts?

St Johnstone's crowds are around 3,000 even on Saturdays. Their crowds for the previous three games were 3,037, 3112 and 3,113 against Ross County, Motherwell and Killie respectively. Perth is one of the most convenient away games for the County fans.

Yes, your first point is completely incorrect and without evidence.

Your second point, have you considered increased income?

In fairness i do enjoy this thread(tho' not how the OP intended) and hope that it runs for the whole season.

In the event, 3197 transpired to be a pretty good attendance. By way of reasonable comparison, look at St Mirren v Brechin (2363), Livi v Dundee (1432), Stranraer v Dundee Utd (1220), Raith Rovers v Deveronvale (1439), and Stenny v Falkirk - a local derby! - (1758). If we could get our routine attendance up over the 3000 mark, we would be doing tolerably well! C'mon the Jags!

5,077 at Ross County vs. ICT. Cracking match, it looked like. First time I've seen their new away stand. Pretty smart. Our bing brings downs the whole tone and "experience" of a match at Firhill, which simply doesn't look like a good place to visit.

Correct. For me the bing sums up the legacy of Brown McMaster, Tom Hughes and the rest of that disastrous board of directors. When you look back at why we ended up with the bing, it still beggars belief how incompetent those guys were.

• Like 2

I hate the new stand at Dingwall, just the same as so many other stadia now when the terracing was great. The seating in the home fans old terracing behind the goal looks dreadful too and behind the goals for them must be an awful view.

I was surprised Inverness didn't sell their end out either as there was noticeable gaps at the sides.

I hate the new stand at Dingwall, just the same as so many other stadia now when the terracing was great. The seating in the home fans old terracing behind the goal looks dreadful too and behind the goals for them must be an awful view.

I was surprised Inverness didn't sell their end out either as there was noticeable gaps at the sides.

But do you hate it for any reason other than you prefer terracing? Given that they needed a stand, they got it erected fast and it looks good (better than a wee terracing, imo). I agree about the Jailend, though.

Also surprised that the match wasn't a full sell-out; reflecting the relatively poor attendances everywhere, I guess.

But do you hate it for any reason other than you prefer terracing? Given that they needed a stand, they got it erected fast and it looks good (better than a wee terracing, imo). I agree about the Jailend, though.

Also surprised that the match wasn't a full sell-out; reflecting the relatively poor attendances everywhere, I guess.

I hate it because you no longer have the choice between terracing and seating if we go there away in the future plus what looks like a gazebo out on it's own in the top left corner if watching on TV looks odd to say the least even if it was needed to get enough seats for the SPL.

I hate it because you no longer have the choice between terracing and seating if we go there away in the future plus what looks like a gazebo out on it's own in the top left corner if watching on TV looks odd to say the least even if it was needed to get enough seats for the SPL.

But neither do we have any terracing left at Firhill. Do you hate the stands there too?