If Everyone Is Fit And Free Of Suspension....

Pie Of The Month

I'm not saying Lawless should be dropped, but he's been quiet in games recently, especially away from home. He's playing his first season of first team football and has started pretty much every game, quiet patches are to be expected. We are lacking in cover for Erskine and Lawless though and I think that might be something that Bannigan can offer.

You have a point about Bannigan. Not really comparable in terms of Erskine's trickery, but he's definitely got versatility, as well as grit.

Here's some stats after 20 games this season. Based on games started, and have we went on to win loose or draw.

O'Donnell: p20 W15 D2 L3

Muirhead: p20 W15 D2 L3

Erskine: p19 W14 D2 L3

Lawless: p19 W14 D2 L3

Paton: p18 W13 D2 L3

Bannigan: p17 W13 D2 L2

Archibald: p14 W10 D1 L3

Welsh: p13 W11 D1 L1

Murray: p12 W10 D1 L1

Doolan: p10 W8 D0 L2

Sinclair: p9 W6 D1 L2

Balatoni: p8 W6 D1 L1

Forbes: p8 W5 D1 L2

Craig: p7 W5 D1 L1

Elliott: p4 W3 D1 L0

McGuigan: p1 W1 D0 L0

Craigan: p1 W1 D0 L0

Here's another stat that could also be turned into a Jags Quiz question.

Q/ re our last three home league games what is peculiar about this team?

Goalie

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Sinclair

Welsh

Bannigan

Forbes

Lawless

Erskine

Doolan

The answer's fairly obvious but imo at the same time quite startling..

• Like 1

Here's another stat that could also be turned into a Jags Quiz question.

Q/ re our last three home league games what is peculiar about this team?

Goalie

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Sinclair

Welsh

Bannigan

Forbes

Lawless

Erskine

Doolan

The answer's fairly obvious but imo at the same time quite startling..

All in their twenties?

All the outfield players have scored in those 3 games.

Correct. It's probably happened before but I find it quite astounding.

edited to add..... the fact that none of the ten scorers need be played out of position to make up that team makes it all the more impressive.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Not to tempt fate here, but the big thing about us getting promoted back in 2002 was that all the (regular) outfield players in that team scored. Remember Craigen going mental as he was the last one?

That season we had two particular strong goalscorers though. This year there are four or five main players chipping in but the whole team are putting them in. It's brilliant!

Perm any line-up that doesn't include Hugh Murray.

Don't know if Jackie would agree, the only games he hasn't featured from the start, he was either suspended or suffering from an illness, during the illness he made the bench.

In the first 7 league games of the season we won 6 and drew 1 with him starting beside Paton, allowing Paton less defensive duties.

He gets back to full fitness and he's back in starting.

I'd imagine Paton will come back in against Dunfermline, will jackie look to re ignite that early season partnership, meaning he drops bannigan? I think he might. Allowing Paton to return to his passing game we saw earlier in the season when he had less to worry about.

Mind you, you did come out with this pearl of wisdom, so I don't know why I'm even bothering.

For me Livingston is the least attractive fixture imaginable (with the possible exception of the OF). I wouldn't have gone yesterday if I didn't have a season ticket - even then I buggered off to the pub at 4.30.

I'd imagine Paton will come back in against Dunfermline, will jackie look to re ignite that early season partnership, meaning he drops bannigan? I think he might. Allowing Paton to return to his passing game we saw earlier in the season when he had less to worry about.

Paton's suspended for the Dunfermline game and will be back for the game against Cowdenbeath away. I don't know whether this is a new adjustment to the rules because I had the assumption that his suspension was only for league games.

I'd keep the same starting XI yesterday for the game against Dunfermline.

Edited by northernsoul

Paton is suspended?

Bad news. I know that the rule of thumb is that you don't change a winning team, but he has been so strong this year that I'd have had him straight back in were he available.

Back on topic, would people really want Welsh AND Forbes starting? I feel that, while they are both monstrously gifted players, I feel that that midfield would lack dig. I am totally on board with Jackie's gorgeous football philosophy, but you need to have an iron fist within that silken glove. With both those players in, does that leave room for both Bannigan AND Sinclair? Or would you play them both but drop Lawless?

Cool if we are beasting an open and poor team; but in a game where it does become a bit of a slog - say v. Cowden or Morton - I think I'd perm 1 from 2 out of Forbes and Welsh

Paton's suspended for the Dunfermline game and will be back for the game against Cowdenbeath away. I don't know whether this is a new adjustment to the rules because I had the assumption that his suspension was only for league games.

I'd keep the same starting XI yesterday for the game against Dunfermline.

If Paton was sent off for violent conduct it will cross competitions.

Paton is suspended?

Bad news. I know that the rule of thumb is that you don't change a winning team, but he has been so strong this year that I'd have had him straight back in were he available.

Back on topic, would people really want Welsh AND Forbes starting? I feel that, while they are both monstrously gifted players, I feel that that midfield would lack dig. I am totally on board with Jackie's gorgeous football philosophy, but you need to have an iron fist within that silken glove. With both those players in, does that leave room for both Bannigan AND Sinclair? Or would you play them both but drop Lawless?

Cool if we are beasting an open and poor team; but in a game where it does become a bit of a slog - say v. Cowden or Morton - I think I'd perm 1 from 2 out of Forbes and Welsh

Do you think Bannigan has more dig than Welsh? I disagree; this side of Sean’s game has really come on since he arrived. In my opinion a midfield 3 of Welsh, Forbes and Paton is the best combination in midfield. Harsh on Murray and Bannigan but they would be on the bench for me.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

As it's been said, it's very difficult to choose. My line-up would be:

Fox, O'Donnell, Bannigan, Muirhead, Balatoni, Paton, Welsh, Forbes, Erskine, Lawless, Doolan

Bench: Smith, Sinclair, Archie, Shug, Craig

Hard to choose between Bannigan and Sinclair; I still think Bannigan offers a better balance but Sinclair's athleticism is very useful. Reckon they're the best left full-backs in the league and I'm happy with whoever starts.

I still have reservations about starting both Welsh and Forbes in the same midfield as I tend to think they float into similar areas of the pitch. Forbes' set pieces are excellent though, probably the best we've had for a number of years, and I reckon he's worth his place for them alone. The stats on Welsh speak for themselves - he makes us tick. Shug will do a good job in certain games but he's awfully casual on the ball at times - too casual for my liking. He's a great player to have but not a starter for me.

Certainly cannot comprehend any suggestions that Lawless should drop out - no chance. The wee man can make something out of nothing and, if he's given a chance, it's very likely it'll end up in the back of the net.

Doolan has been a little off-the-boil by his standards recently but, on his game, I still believe he is the best striker in the league, bar none. Will be good to get Stevie Craig back as he offers us a different approach which could well be vital, particularly in the upcoming league games against Cowdenbeath, Raith and Morton.

We will be doing very well to keep a hold of Erskine beyond January, in my opinion. Even if we get promotion, I think he'll be off to bigger things.

As it's been said, it's very difficult to choose. My line-up would be:

Fox, O'Donnell, Bannigan, Muirhead, Balatoni, Paton, Welsh, Forbes, Erskine, Lawless, Doolan

Bench: Smith, Sinclair, Archie, Shug, Craig

Hard to choose between Bannigan and Sinclair; I still think Bannigan offers a better balance but Sinclair's athleticism is very useful. Reckon they're the best left full-backs in the league and I'm happy with whoever starts.

I still have reservations about starting both Welsh and Forbes in the same midfield as I tend to think they float into similar areas of the pitch. Forbes' set pieces are excellent though, probably the best we've had for a number of years, and I reckon he's worth his place for them alone. The stats on Welsh speak for themselves - he makes us tick. Shug will do a good job in certain games but he's awfully casual on the ball at times - too casual for my liking. He's a great player to have but not a starter for me.

Certainly cannot comprehend any suggestions that Lawless should drop out - no chance. The wee man can make something out of nothing and, if he's given a chance, it's very likely it'll end up in the back of the net.

Doolan has been a little off-the-boil by his standards recently but, on his game, I still believe he is the best striker in the league, bar none. Will be good to get Stevie Craig back as he offers us a different approach which could well be vital, particularly in the upcoming league games against Cowdenbeath, Raith and Morton.

We will be doing very well to keep a hold of Erskine beyond January, in my opinion. Even if we get promotion, I think he'll be off to bigger things.

Excellent observations...... apart from the Erskine departure scenario. He'll be with us as we cruise into the SPL, and then into Europe.

First post on this, felt it apt to be this one...

Judging by performances this season as a whole, rather than just on current form, my starting X1 and subs would be:

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Bannigan

Paton

Welsh

Forbes

Lawless

Erskine

Doolan.

Subs: Smith, Archie, Sinclair, Murray, Craig.

Felt harsh dropping Sinclair but I think Bannigan has been outstanding for most, if not all, of the season so far. Balatoni has turned into one of the best centre-halves in the league overnight. Don't understand anyone choosing Murray over any of the midfield options we have. Has been the only liability in the team this season and to me very seldom looks interested. Since Forbes has gotten a bit more match practice, he has been nothing short of outstanding. Anyone talking about dropping Lawless is ridiculous. Him, Paton and SOD have been by far and away the best players in the league this season. He absolutely terrorises defences and if we don't get promoted this season (fat chance) then he'll surely be the first to be bought. Another harsh one dropping Craig but even though he hasn't been scoring as frequently as he should be, he's still fighting for every ball and has the desire to get in amongst it. Lost a bit of respect for Craig after that stupid sending off vs Cove but he's still been a great addition to the squad.

The fact that I struggled to come up with a starting X1 due to sheer competitiveness for places for the first time in years is really exciting. Playing exciting football and its making it a lot easier to entice my mates to Firhill!

First post on this, felt it apt to be this one...

Judging by performances this season as a whole, rather than just on current form, my starting X1 and subs would be:

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Bannigan

Paton

Welsh

Forbes

Lawless

Erskine

Doolan.

Subs: Smith, Archie, Sinclair, Murray, Craig.

Felt harsh dropping Sinclair but I think Bannigan has been outstanding for most, if not all, of the season so far. Balatoni has turned into one of the best centre-halves in the league overnight. Don't understand anyone choosing Murray over any of the midfield options we have. Has been the only liability in the team this season and to me very seldom looks interested. Since Forbes has gotten a bit more match practice, he has been nothing short of outstanding. Anyone talking about dropping Lawless is ridiculous. Him, Paton and SOD have been by far and away the best players in the league this season. He absolutely terrorises defences and if we don't get promoted this season (fat chance) then he'll surely be the first to be bought. Another harsh one dropping Craig but even though he hasn't been scoring as frequently as he should be, he's still fighting for every ball and has the desire to get in amongst it. Lost a bit of respect for Craig after that stupid sending off vs Cove but he's still been a great addition to the squad.

The fact that I struggled to come up with a starting X1 due to sheer competitiveness for places for the first time in years is really exciting. Playing exciting football and its making it a lot easier to entice my mates to Firhill!

Great first post! For me too, the biggest "problem" is Sinclair or Bannigan. Apart from that, I reckon I'm with you on the line-up, and the subs.

Great first post! For me too, the biggest "problem" is Sinclair or Bannigan. Apart from that, I reckon I'm with you on the line-up, and the subs.

Bannigan has done well in the left back position but has not impacted a game in the way that Sinclair has in recent matches. I think only a real drop in form or injury will cost Sinky his place.

Supposing we were to get The R*****s in the quarter-final, whether at home or away. Selection would come down to whoever Jackie felt could best do the job on that day: horses for courses sort of thing. I fancy he might go for Sinclair over Banzo at left back, and SoJ over Doolan.

Just a hunch.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Supposing we were to get The R*****s in the quarter-final, whether at home or away. Selection would come down to whoever Jackie felt could best do the job on that day: horses for courses sort of thing. I fancy he might go for Sinclair over Banzo at left back, and SoJ over Doolan.

Just a hunch.

Hopefully we don't get them but if we do I agree. With guys like Black in their team and knowing how we can play they would do their best to kick us off the park. I'd play not only Craig but Paton, Murray, Welsh (if fit) - all guys that can handle themselves in these situations.

Mind you we'd probably end up with a couple of guys sent off kowing what referees are like when you play you know who.