Partick Thistle V Dumfermline Athletic, Saturday 1 December

jagfox

Predictable after the 5-1. Cant have a man sent off and miss a pen against a team as good as Dunfermline.

Is that 5 red cards this year ? Murrayx2 Paton Craig Muirhead. MacNamara neads to sort this out or it will cost us. Maybe already cost us signing Craig in January

Losing today could have cost us signing Craig in January. The manager seems happy with his squad but he may want to sign Smith.

Edited to add my congratulations to Arbroath on the result at Parkhead.

Edited by kni

I cant ever remember so many red cards in such a short period for us. Ok today's was last man, but it's ridiculous and could cost us big time

It already has cost us big time we are out the cup. And for Muirhead to be caught out for what looked like to me Dargo's pace was extremely poor. Dargo looked a lot sharper with the Pars than he did with us last year.

Muirhead has had a great season but he let the club down today

• Like 1

Pars took their chance, we didn't take ours. That simple really. Jefferies set-up defensively, even with the man advantage and it worked.

I want to see the sending off again. Not convinced at all that should have been a clear goalscoring opportunity. As I saw it Dargo was outside the box, heading in the direction of the corner flag, and Balatoni was right beside Muirhead, meaning if he'd been free to get to the ball there'd have still been a defender blocking a tight angle.

Thought our penalty was a little bit soft but on the whole the Pars definitely set-out to play dirty today.

Archie was out of sorts when he came on. When Paton, Welsh and Muirhead aren't in the team spine we've not got a quick out-ball for O'Donnell or Sinclair to run on to. Erskine was sub-par today and I'd have taken him or Murray off rather than Lawless after the red. If we were chasing the game we should have really kept Doolan on alongside Craig, and thrown on McGuigan for a defender as a last resort.

It already has cost us big time we are out the cup. And for Muirhead to be caught out for what looked like to me Dargo's pace was extremely poor. Dargo looked a lot sharper with the Pars than he did with us last year.

Rubbish- he got caught out and was a bit clumsy in trying to make amends. Just one of those things. Nothing like Craig's stupidity in the last round

The criticism of Muirhead is unfair, as can be seen from the BBC commentary:

"The busy Dargo looked to be in the clear chasing down a long ball, but Muirhead pushed the former Thistle forward who used all his experience to go down and force referee Steven McLean into a decision."

That's diplomatic language, since experience doesn't really weigh very heavily on the slightly-built Dargo. :shok:

Pars took their chance, we didn't take ours. That simple really. Jefferies set-up defensively, even with the man advantage and it worked.

I want to see the sending off again. Not convinced at all that should have been a clear goalscoring opportunity. As I saw it Dargo was outside the box, heading in the direction of the corner flag, and Balatoni was right beside Muirhead, meaning if he'd been free to get to the ball there'd have still been a defender blocking a tight angle.

Thought our penalty was a little bit soft but on the whole the Pars definitely set-out to play dirty today.

Archie was out of sorts when he came on. When Paton, Welsh and Muirhead aren't in the team spine we've not got a quick out-ball for O'Donnell or Sinclair to run on to. Erskine was sub-par today and I'd have taken him or Murray off rather than Lawless after the red. If we were chasing the game we should have really kept Doolan on alongside Craig, and thrown on McGuigan for a defender as a last resort.

It wasn't until Craig came on to play up along side McGuigan that we started to cause them problems. Erskine was out of sorts until the last 20 mins when he was excellent. We were unlucky today- not at our best but probably deserved to to take the tie to Fife.

Murray, Bannigan,Forbes, Doolan and Erskine all off the pace today. Dunfermline wasted time all afternoon and got away with it. 6 substitutions, 2 sendings off and only 2 minutes extra ?

I said to my mate when Forbes had the ball for the penalty that he wouldn't score cos he wasn't playing well. Again we started a bi tentative - don't know why.

You don't half talk some amount of pish.

Pish - we're out the cup.

Any chance of now moving the Cowdenbeath fixture that's been moved due to our Ramsdens final, to a SC weekend that's now been freed?

The tie that will need to be moved is against Raith who are still in the cup. It does give us a free weekend if an away game in the next month or so gets called off due to the weather I suppose.

Murray, Bannigan,Forbes, Doolan and Erskine all off the pace today. Dunfermline wasted time all afternoon and got away with it. 6 substitutions, 2 sendings off and only 2 minutes extra ?

I said to my mate when Forbes had the ball for the penalty that he wouldn't score cos he wasn't playing well. Again we started a bi tentative - don't know why.

Forbes poor? I thought Forbes continued his excellent form today. His passing and technical ability on the ball were of a very high standard.

• Like 1

Complete and utter rubbish. Get a grip.

Let's not forget, last result aside, this is a team level with us in the league and clearly no mugs. And yet I thought we were the better team, even when down to 10. We didn't take our chances and, like against Hamilton, never seemed to get the breaks. Thought Shuggie was too slow and off the pace, but didn't think anyone else had too bad a game, though no one played anywhere near their best. Another plus was Smith's performance. He seems to be coming on since the Hamilton horrorshow

• Like 1

I have seen enough today and last week to suggest we are the real deal. Similar performances in terms off not being quite at it however the effort and refusal to give in is hugely encouraging. Everything went against them today. I thought there was a possible offside in the build up to the sending off and Dargo was on his way down before Muirhead even got near him. The penalty 9 times out of 10 runs along the line and goes in and how we only played 3 extra minutes is beyond me. The ref was completely out his depth today but great effort from our guys.

I feel we were unlucky to lose that, but it was just one of those days. Don't think Muirhead can have any complaints because Dargo will always go down in that position, and Aaron has to go by the letter of the law. The penalty was a very decent one which would have gone in 99 times out of 100, but it was some save from Gallacher to keep it out. In fact, both keepers had excellent games in a game which could easily have finished 3-2.

Special mention to Hugh Murray, who was an absolute liability until he was taken off. I counted at least five times he gave the ball away in a dangerous area, which simply isn't good enough.

Absolutely gutted to be out this early in the competition.

Having Muirhead sent off was the killer, and unfortunately our discipline this season has been really poor. Then dominating the second half and not converting a penalty is the definition of shooting ourselves in the foot. The decision to sub Lawless was perplexing. Having Murray and Archie in the same team really slowed us down, and to hook our top scorer was not the correct decision in my opinion.

I thought Smith in goals was absolutely terrific, and Fox will have no easy time of it on his return. Defensively we were sound, however we were caught numerous times playing the ball out from the back. Our final ball at times was poor as well, however nobody can fault the guys for effort. NO EXCUSES for not lifting the league this season, seems that is the only thing to concentrate on now.

Again the North Stand was great. Terrific atmosphere, and the singing right to the end has showed us just how much attitudes have changed around Firhill. It finally looks like things are getting back on track.

Disappointing result, but the league is priority.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Thought we were crap, had we been playing a good team we would prob have lost more goals on break. Dunfermline are crap, cant believe they are keeping up with us in league, we look a far better side

Hugh Murray is a waste of a jersey, not only saying it cos we lost, but i cant wait for Paton to come back.

Keeper was excellent. Sinky played well i thought, but both him and o'donnell need to try early crosses on occasion, too often they want to wait for full backnto close them down to beat then cross it and are dispossessed. Doolan anonymous again but difficult for the front man when you are down to ten.

I didn't think Forbes looked that interested today

Agreed. Him & Murray both off pace. Forbes got a great left foot but too often goes missing in large parts of game for me!

Anyone saying Muirhead let club down is talking nonsense. Dargo slowed up (or just slow & shoite) and was falling before Aaron got too close.

Only criticism I'd have today would be, like last week & Hamilton game previous week, we weren't moving the ball quick enough. We destroyed teams earlier in season with quick ball from first whistle. Since Welsh been out that's not happened & perhaps taken the manager's words at HT to get it going quicker!

I think Forbes & Murray together are too slow & deliberate. Aaron Sinclair was getting frostbite at times at the JHS waiting for the ball.

• Like 1

I didn't think Forbes looked that interested today

I wasn't at the game today due to working shifts for the past two weeks, but from what I've seen of Forbes this season, he's certainly got a swagger and a bit of arrogance about him - all in a positive sense. I think that sometimes this 'I'll do it in my own time, and it'll be fcuking good' attitude can come across as not being arsed, when really, he's as committed as the next guy. I meant to post something similar after the Livi game.

Like I say though, I wasn't there today ...

• Like 1

Thought Sinclair had a terrific game as good a game as he has had in a long time. Rest of the squad didn't do anything to impress at all. Hugh Murray again was a liability and twice lost the ball deep in his own half, once where Dargo should have scored. Needs to be dropped again far too slow and plodding.

Played better with 10 men, Dunfermline were nothing but sneaky cloggers. A shame theres so many gash teams in the league for them to bully.

Edited by MWM

I have seen enough today and last week to suggest we are the real deal. Similar performances in terms off not being quite at it however the effort and refusal to give in is hugely encouraging. Everything went against them today. I thought there was a possible offside in the build up to the sending off and Dargo was on his way down before Muirhead even got near him. The penalty 9 times out of 10 runs along the line and goes in and how we only played 3 extra minutes is beyond me. The ref was completely out his depth today but great effort from our guys.

I agree with most of this. At 11v11 we seemed the better side by a distance. I've always felt, from a spectator's viewpoint that the 'last man rule' spoils the game. Surely the award of a penalty should be enough ( no matter where the offence has been commited) ? Disappointed to be out of the cup of course, but I feel that we are still well on course. THe loss of Lawless was almost as important to the result as that of Muirhead - it totally altered the ability of Thistle to mount really penetrative attacks. Still, keep the faith, we are still in with a great chance of the title. - if we can avoid unecessary red cards !

Just watched the highlights there, that really is a shocking header to give away for the goal. Should be bread and butter for the centre half.

Murray was actually even worse than I remembered. Skinned easily leading to a good chance and also lost possession easily which lead to the same thing!

Edited by MWM