Partick Thistle V Dumfermline Athletic, Saturday 1 December

jagfox

Thought Sinclair had a terrific game as good a game as he has had in a long time. Rest of the squad didn't do anything to impress at all. Hugh Murray again was a liability and twice lost the ball deep in his own half, once where Dargo should have scored. Needs to be dropped again far too slow and plodding.

Played better with 10 men, Dunfermline were nothing but sneaky cloggers. A shame theres so many gash teams in the league for them to bully.

Scout working for Fleetwood Town was up watching Aaron, must have left having been well impressed after his performance. Will be gutted if we lose him.

Scout working for Fleetwood Town was up watching Aaron, must have left having been well impressed after his performance. Will be gutted if we lose him.

Hmm, one of the "positives" from yesterday that I meant to add was that any scouts would probably have gone home thinking "nothing worth seeing again here,"...... with the sole exception of Sinclair!

I'd hope that Sinclair would hope for something better than Fleetwood Town.

Watching the sending off incident as it happened,I thought it was a red card(all be it soft) but having just watched highlights it's an absolute disgrace the referees fell for dargo's "cleverness".there's no denying at 11v11 the jags are a far superior team.even a man down

Several points here. Dargo was "clever" only in that he put his body between the ball and an inexperienced young defender who foolishly pushed him. Whether he went down easily or not doesn't mean a thing, it was enough for a sending off - the rule's about stopping a goal scoring opportunity not about how bad a foul it is.

We were no way the "far superior side" at 11-11. I'd have said it was about even except they had a couple of shots on target and we had none - mainly due to the lack of support for Doolan who was several times the only man in the box against 3 defenders when crosses came in.

Second half we played a lot better and had a lot of the game but to some extent that was down to Jeffrey's natural negativity - he pulled players back and tried to hit us in the break rather than going all out against the 10 men. (Remember Smith had several good saves from these situations.) Nearly worked against him but unfortunately we fluffed our chance.

What is good is that we didn't get a confidence-killing doing and could nearly have nicked a result. Also team fought till the very end. So team should still have the belief in themselves.

We also saw I think that although we have good cover there are few players who should always be in the team and I reckon Paton and Welsh are two of them. Paton should be straight in for Murray next week and I'd also start Craig as the ground and opposition suit him more than Doolan.

Key point for me was that we took off Lawless....he was looking good, whereas others were not. That said, thought we did as well as we could with ten men. Judging by some sat beside me, you would have thought we were the ones playing with 11 men. Some fans really should know better....NB Forbes was our best player by far imo.

Onwards and upwards :music:

Thought he done fine, been really impressed with him this year, his versatility is good on its own, but hes not just able at both positions he's bloody good at both of them, best thistle prospect in a long time. In my time as jags fan we've brought through only a handful of players that have went on to make a living out the game - archie prob bein the most prominant. Kenny arthur has had decent career, and i saw derek lyle on sportscene last night, but failing that i cant name too many players who have come through and played on for years full time?

Thought he done fine, been really impressed with him this year, his versatility is good on its own, but hes not just able at both positions he's bloody good at both of them, best thistle prospect in a long time. In my time as jags fan we've brought through only a handful of players that have went on to make a living out the game - archie prob bein the most prominant. Kenny arthur has had decent career, and i saw derek lyle on sportscene last night, but failing that i cant name too many players who have come through and played on for years full time?

That would be a good programme feature.

thanks for replys lads

gaining in confidence every game he plays :thumbsup2:

becoming one of the first names on the team sheet i would think

I've long rated Stuart and agree with above tho' on balance I actually didn't think he was that effective yesterday. His link up play with Sinclair was still very good.

Several points here. Dargo was "clever" only in that he put his body between the ball and an inexperienced young defender who foolishly pushed him. Whether he went down easily or not doesn't mean a thing, it was enough for a sending off - the rule's about stopping a goal scoring opportunity not about how bad a foul it is.

We were no way the "far superior side" at 11-11. I'd have said it was about even except they had a couple of shots on target and we had none

When I referred to dargo's cleverness I was implying he cheated.in my opinion any striker worth his salt would rather go on and score a goal than fall down with minimal contact to get an opponent sent off.also I think you've taken my 11v11 comment out of context.i wasnt talking about yesterday's game but in general I think pound for pound thistle are a better team.

I don't get this 'Dargo was clever' rubbish, he was clean through on goal and as soon as Aaron pulled him back he was bound to go down. In hindsight it might have been better letting him go given his previous misses

100% this.

Thought Aaron was naive putting his hands on him, although I can understand that trying to get back goalside..............

The substitution of Lawless was curious and probably meant that we were consigned to going long ball for the rest of the game. Add that the goal coming from a meat and potatoes cross immediately afterwards, Jefferies must have thought Christmas had come early.

At that moment, I would have hooked Bannigan or Erskine as neither had done much up to then, although both were impressive in the second half. But then, that's why I'm not a football manager.

Ach well........

At that moment, I would have hooked Bannigan or Erskine as neither had done much up to then, although both were impressive in the second half. But then, that's why I'm not a football manager

I think part of the logic might have been stamina. Bannigan has a terrific engine and Erskine - who used not to have this, so must have worked on it - seems to have lots of running too. Thing about Erskine is, unlike a lot of flair players he does a lot of covering and trying to win the ball back.

So the manager's thinking may have been who would be able to last longest playing in a 10-man team. No doubt something about the shape of the 10 men to do with it too or surely he would have hooked Murray right away.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Positive for me were the fans kept supporting the team and appreciated the players at the final whistle. Team kept trying to play football and we were unlucky to lose and this with 10 men for 60 mins or so. It really was not our day with sending off, a couple of breaks that did not go our way and that penalty miss. Aaarrgh! Doolan is on to a hiding to nothing at the moment as all the balls up to him seem to be to his head or chest. Get it on the deck for him as he can shield it well and lay it off for others and he also has a great turn to go on himself.

• Like 1

I've always liked Erskine, but this is the first season I've been truly impressed by him. At his best he's unplayable and capable of setting up and scoring goals, as always, but he has very few truly bad games these days. There are some days (like yesterday) when very little works for him, but he still busts a gut and is capable of those moments of magic which can turn a game. Even if we're promoted I doubt we'll keep him, so I think we should enjoy him while he's here.

we will have more setbacks this season but this team has the skill the fitness and an undoubtable team spirit about them i'm sure we will be there at the end of the season

for me it is a 2 horse race

i missed the game on saturday but was at starks park, crappielaw and hamilton

this jags team will never give up even when down to 10 men

there is a confidence in the team, players are prepared to go that extra yard for each other

so enjoy this season enjoy the exciting attacking football

and also enjoy jackie and sid at the helm, for these moments come all too rarely supporting the jags

onwards and upwards lads and lassies :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

we will have more setbacks this season but this team has the skill the fitness and an undoubtable team spirit about them i'm sure we will be there at the end of the season

for me it is a 2 horse race

i missed the game on saturday but was at starks park, crappielaw and hamilton

this jags team will never give up even when down to 10 men

there is a confidence in the team, players are prepared to go that extra yard for each other

so enjoy this season enjoy the exciting attacking football

and also enjoy jackie and sid at the helm, for these moments come all too rarely supporting the jags

onwards and upwards lads and lassies :thumbsup2:

Good rallying call. Normally I wouldn't be seen dead in Cowdungbeath, even for a Thistle match. But dammit I'm going there on Saturday to support the team. Monra Jags!

Dunfermline drew Dumbarton or Hamilton at home in the next round - easy draw for them and would have been for us!

That'll be the Hamilton that's beaten our team twice this season? :innocent2: Anyhoo, I am sad to be missing out on one of the glamour ties of the next round. I also find myself in the strange situation of hoping Dundee Utd humps the living daylights out of a Division Three side.

• Like 1

That'll be the Hamilton that's beaten our team twice this season? :innocent2: Anyhoo, I am sad to be missing out on one of the glamour ties of the next round. I also find myself in the strange situation of hoping Dundee Utd humps the living daylights out of a Division Three side.

Yes you are correct they have beaten us twice away from home, The home fixture was a slightly different story if I remember - did we not beat them 4-0 or did I just make that up? So if we had beaten Dunfermline and gone on to draw Hamilton at home, I would be expect us to beat them.

Yes you are correct they have beaten us twice away from home, The home fixture was a slightly different story if I remember - did we not beat them 4-0 or did I just make that up? So if we had beaten Dunfermline and gone on to draw Hamilton at home, I would be expect us to beat them.

We wouldn't have drawn them at home. We'd have drawn Ross County/ICT at home.