League Reconstruction (Again....)

Jaggernaut

I fail to see what benefit splits bring and I was hoping that some sensible reconstruction would not include one - what's the point?

Two leagues of 12 going into 3 groups of 8 - sounds overly complicated to me and only the SPL could come up with what I fear will be farcical and not bring the thousands back that they think it will.

There are so many reasons for hating this proposal but for me the main one is that leagues should be decided over a full season, not a half season of one league followed by a 2nd half of another league.

Let's not kid ourselves, the only reason for this proposal is to ensure 4 Old Firm games once Rangers have made their way back to the top flight.

• Like 1

Let's not kid ourselves, the only reason for this proposal is to ensure 4 Old Firm games once Rangers have made their way back to the top flight.

Well, that's obvious. It's THE fixture that brings money into Scottish football through television rights.

There are so many better ways they could do it though. That's the most disappointing thing.

The proposed changes are going to lead to even more meaningless games than we currently have. Use Dundee as an example. Imagine the new system had been in place at the start of this season. Dundees first 22 games would have been completely meaningless as they would have known they had no chance of finishing in the top 8. Infact a team in their position could decide to play a very weak team from august to january, sign up.better players in january on 5 month deals, hope to stay up and then go back to a youth team for the start of the following season

What of the 18 team league?

What do 18 teams have to play for?

Or is it just a case that self preservation spreads to 24 teams now?

18 teams left to fester and die.

Looks that way. I wouldn't get too protective of many of these clubs. They represent the backbone of an SFL that has supported the status quo, blocked any chance of SFL league reconstruction and championed a closed shop.

That's in no way an endorsement of this ludicrous proposal. I can tho' understand why most Div 1 clubs would wish to be in a 42 club voting structure rather than the current 32 club model.

• Like 1

"The top two divisions would split after two rounds of fixtures in which teams had met home and away.

"The top eight clubs would then meet a further twice home and away, while the bottom four clubs would play against the top four from the Championship.

"These eight clubs would have their points re-set to zero then meet twice, home and away, with the bottom four clubs being relegated at the end of the season.

"The bottom eight clubs in the lower division would also play-off against one another."

That's just a dog's breakfast.

Oh, for an SFA that had the cojones to tell them they'll have proper-sized divisions as the customers want, and any clubs that don't like it can go and join the Northern Irish League. After all, we've all seen how Armageddon has failed to arrive: so the boot really is firmly on the other foot, and as the national body the SFA should be representing the interests of the paying customer that keeps the whole thing going. In any case, why can't the SPL get to grips with the fact that they're in the entertainment business - not that of providing cheap TV? (And TV will become much, much cheaper: that's not a business that can afford to throw money around, especially after the cutbacks hit the BBC.)

• Like 1

According the roger Hannah on super scoreboard, a 16 team top division would not work as...

No one wants to see queen of the south playing rangers and Celtic.

Apart from the bare faced condescending nature of his comment.

It would only take 4 teams to take it up to 16. Here's a few teams playing in the lower leagues and when they left the SPL.

Dunfermline 2012

Hamilton 2011

Falkirk 2010

Livingston 2006

Add to that ourselves, Morton, Raith and sevco.

That's 8 teams who could be seen as bringing something to the top league!

Now, if making the bottom division 18 teams, playing 34 games a season with only promtion to play for, seems to be acceptable to folk.

Why is it not acceptable to have an 18 team top division playing for the title, Europe, or to avoid relegation?

• Like 2

Now, if making the bottom division 18 teams, playing 34 games a season with only promtion to play for, seems to be acceptable to folk.

Why is it not acceptable to have an 18 team top division playing for the title, Europe, or to avoid relegation?

Excellent question! The obvious answer is that these mini-leagues are designed to maintain a few select clubs' precious 4 games per season (at least) against the OF, and (when the defunct **** eventually return) more boring OF matches. And of course the bottom 4 of the top 12 will have bigger budgets and have better quality players than the 4 they merge with from the second 12. With no time for preparation or getting new players in, the chances of the latter winning the 2nd mini-league to get into the top level seem pretty slim. So, although disguised and mis-sold by Doncaster et al. again, it's still the Self Preservation League.

• Like 1

Was talking about this last night at work and 18-12-12 is a sensible solution as pointed out by others.

Taking the leagues to 8-8-8 is just nonsense and negates a large % of the first part of the season for many clubs who will likely never make it into the top 8 and just field a weakend team till January and then sign players for 6 months to try get back into the top 12 again. For the players union this should be a non starter.

Why the **** did the SFL make such a noise about 16-10-16 then cave so quickly to the SPL ? Surely it wasnt cash being dangled in front of them ? I cant see that happening ever (/sarcasm)

Should be 14/14/14 with every team playing each other 3 times for 39 games. Any team drawn to play any of the Infirm away from home in the final round of 13 games get to keep the money raised by ticket sales to away fans minus any policing/stewarding costs. That should remove the scaremongering about loss of home games to Celtic and zRangers. The more fans you take then the more cash you get back, pretty simple as I see it.

This one is gonna run for ages as most fans are opposed to the changes and if the SFL/SPL/SFA just impose this then more will walk away from the game that all teams can ill afford.

Edited by Junior

Yeah, get an idea, don't think it through and go straight to the press with it before you even consider asking anyone else to look at it and see if it's got flaws. Mind you considering how nearly everyone can see plenty of flaws with about 10 seconds thought what does it say about these guys who are supposed to administer our game.

Am i right in saying that if this idea was running this season, we'd be having the split around now?

How many teams, as the leagues sit have games in hand, that would need to be played.... yesterday!!!

A very good point. Dumbarton, Livingson and Hamilton are still six games away from the required twenty two. I think the 22nd league games were supposed to be by the 26th of this month. Any normal season you would expect more cancellations over the next three Saturdays in January.

totally ludicrous.

most teams would have 3 games to play , we would have 5 to play.

Just adds more madness to the idea TBH

Exactly, in the SPL in the bottom 6 teams, only one has played their 22 out of 22 games... County have 2 games to play to get up to speed!

In the first, look at Livingston, who already have 3 games in hand... games that could move them into the top 4 and have them sitting in a top 4 split position.

and thats before we even hit the bad weather period!

I must admit to being strongly in favour of this proposal.

We do need radical, structural change in this country and to add interest troughout the season. I thnk this largely does that. It also reflects the stratified nature of our club sizes in a sensible way, and enables much more fluidity between the various leagues. There's a couple of weakes I would make (particularly relating to the bottom eight), but otherwise I think the organisations should be commended for even considering such an imaginative plan.

How does it add interest in the first part of the season ? Thistle could quite easily take the foot off the gas and comfotably still be in the top 4 to go into the Shampionship league of 8 with the dregs from the SPL and 3 others from SFL1, would that actually be good to watch or pay for when plenty of games in the first 22 would be meaningless ?

Same scenario in the middle 8, for us we would get a chance at top 4 and then 22 games via SPL teams , what if say Cowdenbeath had a great start to the season and were 4th , with their shitty stadium could they be involved in hosting the 4 SPL teams ? Surely if they require 6000 seats to be in the SPL they need it to be in the middle league to play the SPL teams there ?

Too many questions not enough answers for me , 3 x 14 is the way to go IMO