Clean Sheet

simoncordiner

Balatoni has really proven me wrong. Not that I thought he was a bad player, but I just wasn't completely convinced with him at first and didn't think he'd be a regular starter for us. This season he's been brilliant though and I don't think he quite gets the credit he deserves. He's an attacking threat, superb in the air and positions himself well. Brilliant again tonight, along with Muirhead.

Can't agree that Muirhead had a great game. Don't get me wrong - I think he is the best CB I've seen at Firhill in a looooooong time, but tonight he looked a bit unsure at times, and between him and O'Donnell there was a bit of mis- communication; neither quite new what the other was doing, or what they were supposed to do.

Still, Balatoni? Hero. He was monstrously good tonight. So composed, too: 10 mins to go, only 1-0 up, and a decent ball in behind our defence from Hamilton. He flicked it back to Fox, when he probably should have just let it run. No damage done... a big smile and a thumbs up to the Keeper.

Class. Cool as a cucumber.

Got me wondering if Archie wasn't the manager and it was either still McNamara (or indeed A N Other) in charge what the preferred CB pairing would have been tonight. I believe a lot of us would agree Archie was in excellent form before McNamara pissed off, Balatoni is also a goal threat and has been very steady in defence, but Muirhead has hardly ever put a foot wrong all season at centreback. I'm struggling to remember a time when we've ever had such a conundrum in selecting our best defence.

Quite a strange game tonight. When you win 1-0, and the only goal comes from a penalty, you expect to hear the cliches "winning ugly" or "grinding out a result" come to the fore. I don't think that using either expression would be fair or accurate. Thought we played with style tho' somehow goals, or that many chances, didn't materialise but thanks to excellent defending we thoroughly deserved the result.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I didn't think when he first arrived that I would see Conrad playing with such composure and authority. All of the back four were born in the 90s, so they have long careers ahead of them, and can only get better.

It would have been much more than 1-0 if their keeper hadn't made 3 or 4 great saves, but he's there for that.

Apart from their number 9, Hamilton looked poor. Bring on the Airdrie.

Also, don't want to be too harsh, but where was O'Donnell last night? Just didn't put in a shift or up to speed at all. Looked frightened on the ball and overly cautious off the ball. I know it is his first start but if he is fit to start he should be fit to put in a shift. Hopefully his confidence hasn't taking a battering after missing a few games.

I think the first game Balatoni and Muirhead played together was the 5-4 Queens Park game at Hampden which was a shambles but these two have come on great. Muirhead is a great find and Balatoni is like a wall.

Best pairing since Duffy and Rae

*gets coat, shuts door.

Balatoni has really proven me wrong. Not that I thought he was a bad player, but I just wasn't completely convinced with him at first and didn't think he'd be a regular starter for us. This season he's been brilliant though and I don't think he quite gets the credit he deserves. He's an attacking threat, superb in the air and positions himself well. Brilliant again tonight, along with Muirhead.

Was saying the same to my mate re Balatoni last night....a lot to do with confidence I would say

Balatoni and Muirhead are absolutely tremendous. Been impressed with Muirhead since he arrived, the consensus when Balatoni got here was that he was a bit of a dud, proved everyone wrong, he is now as good as Muirhead.

I'm not sure that was the consensus about Balatoni Mark 1. He was certainly accused of having bomb-scare moments. But he's come on a ton, and you're right to use "tremendous" to describe him this season. He and Muirhead make a terrific defensive pairing.

I'm not sure that was the consensus about Balatoni Mark 1. He was certainly accused of having bomb-scare moments. But he's come on a ton, and you're right to use "tremendous" to describe him this season. He and Muirhead make a terrific defensive pairing.

At best he was a bombscare, at worst he was hopeless. Happy to say this is all behind him and he is absolutely fantastic now.