Just In

stillresigned

In the end a comfortable victory, even if at times we looked fragile. It took the team into well into the second half to get the killer goal a superb strike from Lawless, which was of a standard to win any game. Dumbarton actually gave a good account of themselves and on this showing their League position does not entirely do them justice, Too often today players were careless in possession,continually looking for that killer pass instead of playing the simple ball. On numerous occasions possession was lost in potentially dangerous areas, which a more ruthless team than Dumbarton would have undoubtedly punished. Despite this, Thistle were still good enough to win 3-0. They should take belief and confidence from this and go forward with confidence to win this League. IMO, it is self defeating to waste our time bemoaning the fact that that we don't every game by six or seven goals and don't play like Barcelona at the same time. Incidentally, thought today showed how important Chris Erskine is to our side, without Erskine for most of the game we definitely lacked that certain something.

Edited by stillresigned

I thought we played well. Dumbarton are no mugs and have some decent players. We did lose possession at times but we fight hard to win it back. Muirhead and Balatoni very good again. Forbes is always looking and asking for the ball and you cannot fault him for that. Even when things are not working we keep plugging away and keep trying. It's this attitude that gets us space and goals. Welsh looked good but his shooting is a bit off. Substitutes were well used with Doolan, Elliot and McGuigan all doing well when they came on. All 3 goals were good, 1st one was good build up and well taken by Lawless. 2nd was a fantastic shot from Lawless and that settled us. 3rd was great wing play and pace from Elliot with Doolan sharp in the middle for the cross. Happy and think another thread is a bit negative.

I thought we played well. Dumbarton are no mugs and have some decent players. We did lose possession at times but we fight hard to win it back. Muirhead and Balatoni very good again. Forbes is always looking and asking for the ball and you cannot fault him for that. Even when things are not working we keep plugging away and keep trying. It's this attitude that gets us space and goals. Welsh looked good but his shooting is a bit off. Substitutes were well used with Doolan, Elliot and McGuigan all doing well when they came on. All 3 goals were good, 1st one was good build up and well taken by Lawless. 2nd was a fantastic shot from Lawless and that settled us. 3rd was great wing play and pace from Elliot with Doolan sharp in the middle for the cross. Happy and think another thread is a bit negative.

Forbes wanted the ball but wanted too much time and wasn't interested in trying to get it back. I thought welsh was pretty awful,thank god Paton is back soon.

Totally agree with stillresigned, i tthought 3 nil flattered us althought I'm not sure Dumbarton created much.

Question for Archie, Christie Elliott on before Doolan??? The whole stand couldn't believe that sub, although Christie dd well when he came on.

We will take it but it wasn't pretty.

A good result and reasonably solid performance against a team that has caused us problems this season. Thought Archie took a bit of a gamble putting on three strikers in the second half but it seemed to give us a bit more urgency and certainly paid dividends. Without Paton or Murray the midfield lacked a bit of grit which put extra pressure on the defence but Balatoni and Muirhead were outstanding today. Four consecutive clean sheets shows just how important it is to have our first choice back four fit and playing in their natural positions. Fingers cross none of them get injured or suspended between now and the end of the season. With the gruesome twosome both getting beat too, not a bad Saturday's entertainment.

Edited by Eff Tee Ohh Eff

Forbes wanted the ball but wanted too much time and wasn't interested in trying to get it back. I thought welsh was pretty awful,thank god Paton is back soon.

Totally agree with stillresigned, i tthought 3 nil flattered us althought I'm not sure Dumbarton created much.

Question for Archie, Christie Elliott on before Doolan??? The whole stand couldn't believe that sub, although Christie dd well when he came on.

We will take it but it wasn't pretty.

Doolan for craig was prob a planned change, where forbs was hooked earlier than he thought and yes Elliot did do well...new left winger maybe?

• Members

With Forbes not playing well, it was always likely he'd be first to be subbed. Doolan and McGuigan are out and out strikers so I thought Elliott was the best option of the three for Forbes without changing the formation too much. Dools was always going to come on for Craig. Just thought Forbes was favourite to be pulled first. Looks like it worked out anyway. The substitution along with a minor formation change killed any chance Dumbarton had of getting back into the game.

With Forbes not playing well, it was always likely he'd be first to be subbed. Doolan and McGuigan are out and out strikers so I thought Elliott was the best option of the three for Forbes without changing the formation too much. Dools was always going to come on for Craig. Just thought Forbes was favourite to be pulled first. Looks like it worked out anyway. The substitution along with a minor formation change killed any chance Dumbarton had of getting back into the game.

I guess if the midfield had to be changed and the options available then I'm probably talking sheete. Never thought about it that way during the game. Do we miss a decent midfielder squad player then??

I guess if the midfield had to be changed and the options available then I'm probably talking sheete. Never thought about it that way during the game. Do we miss a decent midfielder squad player then??

Not really, Paton & Erskine were out. Welsh would probably have been the midfielder on the bench, good option to bring on.

Think the state of the pitch is interfering with us playing in the early season style, but the players are adapting pretty well. Thought Banzo was great today - when was the last time any Thistle fan mentioned Cairney in the pub after the match wistfully? The Elliot substitution was a bit of a headscratcher, but paid off - he might not be the striker we've been looking for but as a winger....

• Like 1

Much as I read it. I think only the Forbes/Elliot substitution was improvised. Maybe evidence that Archie & Shaggy can and will act on their feet. It certainly worked, upping the pace when Dumbarton least wanted it. Good also to see Wee Lawless put in a full 90 mins especially without Erskine to share the load in that sort of role.

I wouldn't exactly describe today as a case of winning ugly but I felt what we lacked in our usual quality was compensated by perhaps a sensible approach and by and large excellent decision making. Disciplined and well worth the win.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

O'Donnell and Sinclair seemed to struggle offensively today. Very reluctant to take their men on and their passing (particularly the former's) was not what it's been. Think O'Donnell in particular could do with a confidence boost from somewhere.

Speaking of which, Elliot did a really good job when he came on to bring a bit more urgency about our play. His work for the second goal and Doolan getting on the score-sheet will be excellent for their confidence and ensure we have plenty options up-front if we're having to chase games in the run-in.

Thought that was a pretty perfunctory victory today. Dumbarton ran out of steam in both halves of the game - they matched us for about 35 mins in the first half and only 25 mins of the second half.

Dumbarton are decent enough -better going forward than Hamilton, but ponderous at the back. Although they are way better than Airdrie.

Thought Bannigan bossed the midfield today spraying passes about with both feet - don't think we'll be seeing him at Firhill for much longer if he continues to play like that (he's only 20!).

Possibly one of the best things about today was that Craigen, Elliot and McGuigan all made themselves genuine contenders at a point when we're headed into the busiest and most difficult part of the season and we'll need a big pool of players to cope.

Must say, I thought we were pretty awful until the last 20 minutes, but the result is the most important thing.

Positives: Elliot was excellent when he came on; Doolan got a well-needed goal; wee Lawless was industrious when on the ball.

Negatives: both wing-backs struggled; SoD and Muirhead looked as if they'd only just met; Ross Forbes was again sluggish; Craigan ran about a lot but did little with the ball.

I hope the decline in our passing game is due to the time of year and not a change in coaching. Another three points though.

• Like 1

re: Bannigan- if he were to be called up for the Scotland u21 game on the Monday 25th vs Luxembourg would he be ineligible for us vs Livi on the Saturday 23rd anyway? Would be a nice dodge if so.

Although if the same rule applies to O'Donnell... not so good.

I'm sure someone said Bannigan will be suspended for The Livvy game after another booking today.

Thought we were shaky for the first period of the game - lucky not to concede a goal. Ian Murray has a Dumbarton organized well with a squad of limited ability. The blocked our fullbacks well (apart from our first goal) and pressed us to try to stop our passing game.

Thought we missed Paton in the centre of midfield, his aggression and tackling would have made the game easier for us.

I thought Bannigan and Muirhead were excellent.

Lawless again showed he is the best finisher at the club. He dropped out the game in the second half a little and I thought he may get subbed but then he popped up with a great finish just outside the box.

Putting Elliot on was a risk I thought but it worked out well. His pace caused a tiring Dumbarton side problems.

Archie I think will shortly get the job till the end of the season. No way are the board going to bring somebody else in on this form.

I thought Morton was in the driving seat in the championship race but it has turned round again in our favour. We do need to pick up points away from home though and this is going to be the big test over the next few weeks.