Mcnamara

GrantB

I made the point for his assists and stand by it. Paton is an ok player who gives 100% every time he pulls on a Thistle jersey. Mind you, so did guys like Brian Hamilton, Billy McDonald & Jimmy Gibson in recent years and look at the stick they got.

Paul's platying in a successful team and deserves the accolades and move that'll come his way. However if you ask me who'd be the most difficult to replace in next year's midfield i wouldn't say Paul Paton.

As an aside. The Dundee Utd table not the only offer on the table for him.

Good luck to him.

I take issue with Paton being mentioned in the same breath as wasters like Jimmy Gibson who I will never believe always gave 100% for us.

Anyway this article in today's Times is interesting http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/sfl/paton-pending-for-jags-119082n.20561874 particularly Paton going on twitter and saying the only important bit in the article is the bit at the bottom.

I find it strange that you would compare Paul playing right back with the position he plays now. Anyone can see he's a far better central midfielder than right back. Paul no longer plays right back for us. And Dundee United are not looking to sign Paul as a right back, so I think this is a moot point.

We obviously all rate players differently, but I think Paul could do a job in the SPL. I'd like to see him remain at the club. And if he does have pre-contract offers and he chooses not to take them up, at least before the title is decided, then he's got the kind of leadership and morale fibre that I would like to think is befitting of the kind of guy we want to be captain of our club.

Why shouldn't I compare him? Is he not the same Paul Paton that plays for PTFC?

& how do you know that DU are not looking at signing him as a right back or a centre half? McNamara has played in him in those positions also and may see him as an SPL player in those positions.

Also, for the sake of clarity, I rate Paul very highly & admire his attitiude as a PTFC player both on and off the pitch.

Who has the better workrate? Paton or Forbes? Answer is Paton evry single day of the week.

Who is more likely to deliver the killer ball and create chances? Answer is Forbes every day of the day of the week.

For what it's worth I'd take Paton over Forbes every day of the week but there are some who will disagree with me.

*opinion*

I take issue with Paton being mentioned in the same breath as wasters like Jimmy Gibson who I will never believe always gave 100% for us.

Anyway this article in today's Times is interesting http://www.eveningti...19082n.20561874 particularly Paton going on twitter and saying the only important bit in the article is the bit at the bottom.

Why?

The guy was a professional footballer who didn't step on the park thinking 'I cant be @rsed today'. Just because he wasn't great didn't mean he didn't try. Who knows if he'd been moved from midfield to right back...

Ian McCall made him club captain when he first arrived & he could spot a player (Paul Paton?).

& how do you know that DU are not looking at signing him as a right back or a centre half? McNamara has played in him in those positions also and may see him as an SPL player in those positions.

I can't even be bothered reading that whole post, but thought I'd pick this sentence out. McNamara was responsible for Paton's move from RB to defensive midfield, a move that saw Paton's game improve where his weaknesses became less of an issue. I think it's clear McNamara wants him for this position.

So it is only Jackie McNamarras interest that you are complaining about. Every other manager/scout is welcome ?

Even with the record statistic of managers being sacked this season, you have a go a him when he takes his opportunity ?

Nope they can pay to get in as well as far as I am concerned.

Is their some kind of gentlemans agreement around the football world where scouts and other Managers get into games for free, as far as I am concerned any scout or Manager that is looking to sign up our players for other teams can pay for the priviledge of doing so. I really dont see why we should be letting in coaches, scouts, spies etc in for free to steal out players for a bargain

Its not just us - plenty of vultures will be circling the cash hit pars right now - so why dont the Pars at least charge these people for viewing their players and at least make a little money for their financially stricken club at the same time.

• Like 1

Nope they can pay to get in as well as far as I am concerned.

Is their some kind of gentlemans agreement around the football world where scouts and other Managers get into games for free, as far as I am concerned any scout or Manager that is looking to sign up our players for other teams can pay for the priviledge of doing so. I really dont see why we should be letting in coaches, scouts, spies etc in for free to steal out players for a bargain

Its not just us - plenty of vultures will be circling the cash hit pars right now - so why dont the Pars at least charge these people for viewing their players and at least make a little money for their financially stricken club at the same time.

Agree entirely. The scouts would probably be able to claim it back on expenses too.

Only exception I would make is for Strachan/Hodgson when looking at our players. They're allowed and in fact encouraged :happy2:

In all the years I have watched Thistle, Paul Paton would, by a distance, be the player who improved most following a change of position - I can only think of Jackie Campbell's move from right back to centre half and Donald Park from winger to striker as remotely comparable...and they were both very good players in their original positions.

I always liked Paton's commitment but he was fairly limited as a right back. This year he has been the heartbeat of the team - he made the challenge to start the move for our best team goal of the season by O'Donnell against Dunfermline. His raking crossfield passes have been the trademark of the side this year.

I would love to see the current side with just a few additions have a crack at the SPL next season but good luck to any of them who get a better offer.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 2

Why?

The guy was a professional footballer who didn't step on the park thinking 'I cant be @rsed today'. Just because he wasn't great didn't mean he didn't try. Who knows if he'd been moved from midfield to right back...

Ian McCall made him club captain when he first arrived & he could spot a player (Paul Paton?).

Ian McCall also hunted him after about 1 game as he saw right through the little waster.

Jimmy Gibson was one of the worst players I've ever seen at Thistle. Completely out of his depth and signed by a manager who was also in way over his head.

In all the years I have watched Thistle, Paul Paton would, by a distance, be the player who improved most following a change of position - I can only think of Jackie Campbell's move from right back to centre half and Donald Park from winger to striker as remotely comparable...and they were both very good players in their original positions.

Davie Irons in THAT game at Parkhead also springs to mind.

• Like 3

I don’t see any problem with what Jackie is doing – he is manger of Dundee United now and is paid to do his best for this club.

Would love to see the reaction of thistle fans on here if our manger would not sign players for another club because he did not want to upset the other team!

He did a fantastic job for our club when he was here and has left us with a young team playing great football. I don't bear any grudge against him.

On Paton he has been magnificent for us this year. He really has matured into a very good midfield player. McCall did try him in midfield but did not work out at that time.

• Like 1

I can't even be bothered reading that whole post, but thought I'd pick this sentence out. McNamara was responsible for Paton's move from RB to defensive midfield, a move that saw Paton's game improve where his weaknesses became less of an issue. I think it's clear McNamara wants him for this position.

DU well covered in midfield however they do have a problem in defence. So much so that Jon Daly ended up at centre half a few weeks back.

For what it's worth I'm not sure that Paton will end up at DU if the rumour is correct!!

As the ET article says he has been linked with Motherwell since about the start of the season. He's got a league and cup double at the top of his footballing priorities at the moment. Let's see hoe that goes before worrying about the silly season rumours :P

Davie Irons in THAT game at Parkhead also springs to mind.

I knew there was one I was trying to think of - thought he was wasted when he left us as he was mainly used in midfield.

Re Park - I don't recall him making any move to forward, at least not on any regular basis. He did move from winger to (battling) midfielder but he'd already played there sometimes at Hearts so it was already something he was known to be able to do.

I made the point for his assists and stand by it. Paton is an ok player who gives 100% every time he pulls on a Thistle jersey. Mind you, so did guys like Brian Hamilton, Billy McDonald & Jimmy Gibson in recent years and look at the stick they got.

Cant believe someone even mention Brian Hamilton's name. Probably the worst player i have ever seen in a thistle jersey. He got cheered off every time he got subbed. I dread to even think the fans reaction to him if we were losing games that season!!

I knew there was one I was trying to think of - thought he was wasted when he left us as he was mainly used in midfield.

Re Park - I don't recall him making any move to forward, at least not on any regular basis. He did move from winger to (battling) midfielder but he'd already played there sometimes at Hearts so it was already something he was known to be able to do.

David Irons is an excellent shout - he is possibly my favourite Thistle player of the last 30 years...should have remembered him! Colin McAdam was another great convert, from centre half to striker.

I think Park played as a twin striker with Mo Johnston under Peter Cormack for a bit. I remember them destroying Clyde in a cup replay which finished 6-0.

Dundee united appear to be short on centre backs will jackie be checking Balatoni and Aaro Muiirhead with his and Sids visits to our game at Dunfermline recently ?

There defensive record stacks up and will be impressing any team manager or scouts checking our games

Cant believe someone even mention Brian Hamilton's name. Probably the worst player i have ever seen in a thistle jersey. He got cheered off every time he got subbed. I dread to even think the fans reaction to him if we were losing games that season!!

Yet we lost very few games that season with Hamilton in the team. He was no world beater but he was underrated, after being mince for so many years Thistle fans seemed to need someone to be a scapegoat even in a good season.