How Important Is The Challenge Cup?

uberteeb

I'd put it alongside the Tennents Sixes.

I'd exchange being Challenge Cup Winners for the next 100 years for the SFL1 title this year.

Why have we sold 5,000 tickets for this waste of time? Why are once a year supporters coming to this but not Morton at home, why did we have only 2,500 home fans for the huge match against Livingston yet sell double that for this non event.

If the supporters of another team tried to get one over me by saying they won this I'd laugh in their face. I sure as hell wouldn't be lording it over anyone else on the back of winning it.

It will be a fun day out and I understand people looking forward to it for that reason, I am the same, 5,000 Jags out for the day in the sun at a neutral venue in full voice will be very enjoyable, but people talking about it like it matters, people travelling long distances to attend to it overt making the trip for the Morton game, people greetin cause they couldn't get a ticket, these people are simple.

Why have we sold 5,000 tickets for this waste of time?

It will be a fun day out and I understand people looking forward to it for that reason, I am the same, 5,000 Jags out for the day in the sun at a neutral venue in full voice will be very enjoyable

Answered your own question there. :doh:

It's a final. We're never in finals. It's top of the First Division vs. top of the Second Division. It'll be ******* brilliant, and if you're not up for Sunday then God help you. I've been buzzing for about two weeks, it'll be a great day out.

I'll be there on Wednesday too, which is the biggest match of the season. But the Challenge Cup final is something different and to be savoured.

• Like 2

I'd imagine I'd have been far more up for it if the final was in November like it used to be. Waiting so many months and then to have it add to a fixture backlog due to league games being postponed more than once has left me feeling like it's far less important.

I've still taken the Monday off work and intend to have a good day out but I was far more up for our double header v Cowdenbeath and going to the game tomorrow than Sunday.

• Like 1

Clearly, winning this cup is trivial compared to promotion and therefore the Morton game is more important.

However, it is a cup final. As I have only been a Jags fan for 22 years it will be my first and I intend to enjoy myself. For my 4 & 6 year old boys it will be a magical day out and I won't be telling them that it isn't important.

• Like 4

It could bring us in around £50K, which is not to be sniffed at, especially if due to a calamitous turn of events we fail to win the league.

Winning it will boost the confidence of the squad even more, and help the final push for promotion.

Winning it will also boost Jags fans to get to league matches too.

would obviously rather win the league but I'm still looking forward to the final. the timing of the final could be ideal, Archie will be stressing the importance of winning tomorrow but in turn saying you are playing for a shirt next sunday, then saying for the final play for the shirt against Morton. my arse will be twitching before and during every game!

I wish this final had been played back in November. It really is too much of a distraction when you're chasing a league title. Fortunately Morton have a game on Saturday, which goes someway to evening things up. We are also blessed with a bit of depth in the squad. Not in numbers but in first team ability. Archie signing the two Pars defenders is also good insurance.

As to the topic itself this cup final has a very in-house sense of importance. The Club and the fans are equally responsible for heightening this final to OTT levels. Sometimes the feel good factor can get a bit out of hand and this is such an occasion. I'm just not too certain if that's a good or a bad thing.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Good to win, & I hope we do, but promotion more important. Have said it before also, happy for key players to be rested for the final if required.

Erskine on the bench, Forbes starts, Elliott for Lawless. Craig for Doolan if Doolan is now seen as the main striker etc.

I'd be wanting a full strength team personally. Let's win this thing!!

If things are going well use our subs early.

A wee distraction this week from the league might not be the worse thing in the world either.

I am glad we are playing QotS who seem to try and play nice football. I would worry if we were playing a team of hammer throwers that just went out to kick our players off the park,

Morton really have taken a lot of pressure of us by losing to Hamilton and Raith this month.

I'd be wanting a full strength team personally. Let's win this thing!!

If things are going well use our subs early.

A wee distraction this week from the league might not be the worse thing in the world either.

Totally agree. We should send out our strongest team and treat them the same way we deal with visitors at Firhill.

Get it over with by half time, get the subs on, and they can leave to get back in time to watch Countryfile.

Everyone is a winner :innocent2:

It may be a diddy cup but id rather be a diddy cup winner than loser, cant believe people are playing this down this is only the 2nd cup final thistle have been in during my lifetime (50 years) and who is to say we will ever get to another one. As for fans going to this and not the morton game its simple the final is a weekend and easier to attend for most people than a night game during the week. I think youll find the vast majority at the final will attend the morton game. Anyway im up for it and i have faith in Archie to pick the right players for the occasion

• Like 2

Hey listen guys

Been supporting the Harry wraggs since 1960

I've cancelled a dental appointment on Monday I've upped my blood pressure pills I've been to most games home and away this year

This team is special win lose or draw this has been a great season

Terrific attacking football the whole team giving it all and Archie and Scott at the helm

It can't get any better

I'd put it alongside the Tennents Sixes.

I'd exchange being Challenge Cup Winners for the next 100 years for the SFL1 title this year.

Why have we sold 5,000 tickets for this waste of time? Why are once a year supporters coming to this but not Morton at home, why did we have only 2,500 home fans for the huge match against Livingston yet sell double that for this non event.

If the supporters of another team tried to get one over me by saying they won this I'd laugh in their face. I sure as hell wouldn't be lording it over anyone else on the back of winning it.

It will be a fun day out and I understand people looking forward to it for that reason, I am the same, 5,000 Jags out for the day in the sun at a neutral venue in full voice will be very enjoyable, but people talking about it like it matters, people travelling long distances to attend to it overt making the trip for the Morton game, people greetin cause they couldn't get a ticket, these people are simple.

Take it you'll begiving up your ticketfor someone who really wants to go?

Its our 1st final in 40 years and possibly the first part of a historical double so very important and so is the league and any game we havesomething to play for even if that is only pride

I have to say, I find it hard to believe that any Jags fan isn't up for this cup final. Win, lose or draw, it'll be an absolutely cracking day (and night) out.

And, as an earlier poster suggested, some welcome relief from the tension of the league run-in - mulling over the permutations of which is starting to do my nut in...

'MON THE JAGS FANS!!!!!

• Like 1

Take it you'll begiving up your ticketfor someone who really wants to go?

Its our 1st final in 40 years and possibly the first part of a historical double so very important and so is the league and any game we havesomething to play for even if that is only pride

Why would I give up my ticket?

We were in the Firhill Cup Final this year.