Morton On Wednesday

Woodstock Jag

Hopefully this stupid habit of adopting traditional Rangers tactics i.e. punting big high balls will be consigned to the dustbin where it belongs. It surely should come as no revelation that our best form this season coincides with passing the ball either to a Jags player or into space where a Thistle player can make use of it. Particularly, as we don't have the players for that kind of game. Morton on the other hand do and their tactical approach should come as a surprise to absolutely no-one. They are due a gubbing from us and I can think of no better time than Wednesday.

• Like 1

Been over for the Easter break and seen us at Cowdenbeath, Raith Rovers and yesterday. Just got the Morton game before I have to head back to Germany. I have loved the singing at all three games and I'll lend my voice in the North Stand. It will be my first time in the stand - do you have to get a ticket like for the Jackie Husband or is it pay at the turnstile?

And please Thistle, send me home hoarse but happy!

Been over for the Easter break and seen us at Cowdenbeath, Raith Rovers and yesterday. Just got the Morton game before I have to head back to Germany. I have loved the singing at all three games and I'll lend my voice in the North Stand. It will be my first time in the stand - do you have to get a ticket like for the Jackie Husband or is it pay at the turnstile?

And please Thistle, send me home hoarse but happy!

Just pay at the turnstile for the North Stand.

If Archie himself is fit , I can see him on the bench at the very least, I think we need the Psychiatrist/Psychologist in tomorrow to get those heads back up again and instill the confidence of this great young side , they've been fabulous all season , yeasterday was imo an off day and dont think it will happen again, diddy cup game , means heehaw now so lets stop moaning about the boys and get behind them, they need and deserve our support and encouragement not our criticism however justified we may feel about giving it, onwards and upwards and believe !!!! We're gonna win the league !!!!

McMillan's out too? Jeezo. No real choice but to play SOD.

If Elliot, Bannigan, McMillan and Paton are out we've not really got much choices:

Fox

O'Donnell Dowie Balatoni Sinclair

Welsh Forbes

Lawless Erskine

Doolan

Subs: Daniels, Murray, McGuigan, Craig, A.N. Other.

I'm assuming Craigen's meant to be in there as he's not on your bench? I'm sure, too, that you don't mean 4-4-1. From all our other games v Morton this season, that could be an indication of how it might end up!

I've edited your line up to what I would think about playing. I'd happily put Murray in for Paton should he not be fit enough. At the weekend we struggled to control the midfield and having Paton/Murray beside Bannigan would really help break Morton's attacks up. We need Forbes in for his deliveries and look for Doolan to get on the end, and Balatoni too at set pieces. Best thing about the goal on Sunday was that Forbes didn't have to look up, he just knew he had to put the ball into a dangerous area and Doolan knew he had to be there.

Strangely, if I didn't go with Murray I'm not sure I'd put him on the bench, as Welsh and Craigen offer different things that might be useful during the game if anything needs changed. I agree about Elliot, in fact it was him, Doolan and Forbes together that made us a threat on Sunday which we hadn't been at all while none of them were on the park. I just don't know if I'd rather have him in than Craigen.

Sorry, but I think putting Murray in against Morton after two red cards would be suicidal. Morton would do everything in their power, backed vociferously by fans to psyche him out. We can't risk another red card in a game like this.

Elliot is just frustrating. He does the hard work, the chasing down, winning the ball and beating his man or making space, only to then fluff a shot or pass. I hoped he had a revival after scoring and playing well in two games as a sub.. but sunday just re-set my opinion. Its just his final 5% of play, but it's the crucial 5% for an attack minded player.

Regardless of making a good impression yesterday I still feel playing Forbes without Paton carries a risk. The counter to that is we need level heads and not hot heads on Wednesday and Forbes usually comes across as a calming influence so on this occasion he should possibly start. Morton would be daft not to play to our weakness, ie daft sending offs, so we should anticipate extra gamesmanship.

They have to win this game so I'm guessing Archie's tactics will be fairly fluid. Playing an open attacking game comes natural to us but we may have to be cagier than usual. It's a real blow having the likes of Paton, Bannigan and McMillan unavailable as they're all adept at covering different positions from a defensive point of view.

A positive tho' is the number of away games we've played well in lately. We may have to draw on some of that discipline for this home game

Wednesday's match is the biggest game in the country: arguably the biggest game in Scotland all season. Both sides deserve credit for keeping the title race exciting and both deserve a big support for this one too. The cup final went perfect from our perspective but I can't see it having a huge affect on the end result. We'll have Hardie and O'Ware back while Thistle seem to be missing quite a few players, but I'd still class your lot as favourite.

Enjoy your night lads and may the best team win. Mon the Ton!

Regardless of making a good impression yesterday I still feel playing Forbes without Paton carries a risk. The counter to that is we need level heads and not hot heads on Wednesday and Forbes usually comes across as a calming influence so on this occasion he should possibly start. Morton would be daft not to play to our weakness, ie daft sending offs, so we should anticipate extra gamesmanship.

They have to win this game so I'm guessing Archie's tactics will be fairly fluid. Playing an open attacking game comes natural to us but we may have to be cagier than usual. It's a real blow having the likes of Paton, Bannigan and McMillan unavailable as they're all adept at covering different positions from a defensive point of view.

A positive tho' is the number of away games we've played well in lately. We may have to draw on some of that discipline for this home game

Is Bannigan definitely out? If so then that's a real blow. I guess we're then looking at a midfield three of Welsh, Craigen and Forbes. Not our strongest, but I have faith in those three to up their game.

Edited by Jaggernaut

From SFL site , same width but Firhill 7m longer. From largest to smallest in terms of area:

Thistle: 105m x 69m (7245)

Dumbar 104m x 69m (7176)

Falkirk 105m x 68m (7140)

Hamil 105m x 68m (7140)

Airdrie: 105m x 67m (7035)

Livi 98m x 69m (6762)

Dunf 105m x 64m (6720)

Raith 103m x 64m (6592)

Morton 100m x 64m (6400)

Cowden 98m x 59m (5782)

Edited by craigthepict

Thanks guys

Was thinking about the game on Sunday at livi

Our fullbacks appeared to be shut down by Qos very quickly

However both pitches are same width but livi is actually shorter in length

Maybe the hoardings around the pitch had something to do with the impression that our fullbacks had lesser space to play

So fair play to queens got tactics right on that issue

From SFL site , same width but Firhill 7m longer. From largest to smallest in terms of area:

Dumbar 104m x 69m (7176)

Livi 98m x 69m (6762)

Dunf 105m x 64m (6720)

Raith 103m x 64m (6592)

Morton 100m x 64m (6400)

Cowden 98m x 59m (5782)

The Cowden pitch is tiny!

Dumbar 104m x 69m (7176)

Livi 98m x 69m (6762)

Dunf 105m x 64m (6720)

Raith 103m x 64m (6592)

Morton 100m x 64m (6400)

Cowden 98m x 59m (5782)

Missed out Hamilton (it's the same as Falkirk)