Team Vs. Airdrie

ThickAsThieves

Last night was brilliant. Today's all about celebrating. But I just want to turn the attention to Saturday's match for just a minute, if you'll indulge me...

There should be a few changes for me. A mate of mine was speaking to O'Donnell's sister and she said a lot of the boys are absolutely shattered. Stephen would actually be one of those I'd drop if McMillan's fit for this.

Fox

McMillan - Dowie - Balatoni - Sinclair

Forbes - Welsh - Craigen

Lawless - Doolan - Elliott

Working on the basis that Airdrie are shite and lost 5-0 in midweek, I don't really see it as a risk to drop O'Donnell, Bannigan and Erskine for Saturday. Others might disagree though, and since we're close to the SPL maybe we shouldn't rest integral players until it's done and dusted - so, thoughts?

Would like to see McGuigan get a half hour or so, too. That would mean one of O'Donnell/Bannigan/Erskine/Craig not making the bench though.

I think that team is a little lightweight with Forbes, Craigen and Lawless all in there. Airdrie have caused us problems before, in December we really struggled there and did Morton not lose/draw there recently? I know they're in poor form but when we probably only need two wins it's best to try and get them sooner rather than later and make sure of it.

I'd play the following, though I'd consider Lawless in place of Forbes to give him a break. Erskine has been working very hard recently and deserves a place, so I'd keep Elliott in there too.

Fox

McMillan - Dowie - Balatoni - Sinclair

Bannigan

Forbes - Welsh - Craigen

Doolan - Elliott

I'd keep the same team that started against Morton. They can recover and do light training inbetween games. Every game is a cup final until we get a trophy in our hands it is not over yet. I was at the Airdrie away game at Christmas and it was a poor draw. I do feel sorry for McGuigan though as I do like the look of him whenever he plays.

I would start Lawless for Forbes and Craig for Doolan on Saturday (just to keep players fresh)

I'm sure SOD is tired but he probably looked like the strongest player on the pitch in the last 20 mins on Wed night - i don't think you can drop him and not weaken the team.

James Craigan took a right kicking throughout the game on Wed night so could be a game to start Elliot.

Actually looking forward to a trip to Airdrie - how weird is that?

I agree we absolutely must do whatever it takes to secure the 3 points at Airdrie. There is a wee bit of breathing space there by starting Forbes again, who is relatively fresh and well rested recently. SoJ should be considered to give Doolan a breather, whether that be he replaces him after an hour, with half an eye on next Tuesday v Raith Rovers. Lawless should start too, although I'd have Elliott on the bench as he's not that close to being in our best XI, and as I said the very first priority on Saturday is to win whatever it takes; that will allow us to consider the luxury of properly resting one or two over the remaining games after RR at home.

For the team's sake, I'd obviously want the title to be wrapped up as soon as possible; but for totally selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind us doing it at Falkirk as I'll be there. I still remember when we won it last time round, I had to choose one game between Airdrie or St Mirren. I went for Airdrie, where we drew, and we ended up winning it at Love St. I was as jealous as a very jealous thing at not being there.

Provided we do go on to win it, and wherever and whenever that might be, I am so immensely proud of this Thistle team and of Alan Archibald for what they've delivered for us, and completely bursting with pride at being a lifelong Partick Thistle supporter. As they say / sing: Who TF is McNamara??

I would start Lawless for Forbes and Craig for Doolan on Saturday (just to keep players fresh)

I'm sure SOD is tired but he probably looked like the strongest player on the pitch in the last 20 mins on Wed night - i don't think you can drop him and not weaken the team.

James Craigan took a right kicking throughout the game on Wed night so could be a game to start Elliot.

I'd agrue that Forbes and to a lesser extent Doolan should be the most fresh players in the squad as they've not played anywhere near as many minutes as the rest of them in the last few weeks.

Me too. That's the effect that this Jags team has! Last time I was there (I think) was when there were around 6,000, with Thistle fans filling two of the stands. If my memory is right we could have won promotion, but a 1-1 draw meant that it wasn't quite settled there.

Same 11 for me.

McMillan not back in to training until Monday so he'll definitely not feature.

Not Forbes biggest fan but his set pieces may well be the difference. A big 45mins & we may well be able to rest a few with Tuesday in mind.

Know Paton back running but tomorrow might be too soon though could be available Tuesday.

The end's in sight. Couple more performances & the players can rest up! :)

Forbes has done everything asked of him in the last 2 games to keep his place in the starting 11. Keep the momentum going and go with the same team that started against Morton.

Maybe because he hasn't featured so much of late, but I think that Forbes is currently looking hungrier and more hard-working than he did earlier in the season.

• Like 1

Will Archie pull on the shirt again before the end of the season? Perhaps not against Airdrie but once (hopefully) the title is wrapped up?

I think we would all agree that this would probably have been his last season even if he had only remained as a player - and the SPL would definitely be too much.

But it would be good to give him a proper send-off on the pitch - the Dunfermline game?

Will Archie pull on the shirt again before the end of the season? Perhaps not against Airdrie but once (hopefully) the title is wrapped up?

I think we would all agree that this would probably have been his last season even if he had only remained as a player - and the SPL would definitely be too much.

But it would be good to give him a proper send-off on the pitch - the Dunfermline game?

Archie definitely needs to play at some point before end of season. Jags Hero approaching Legend status.