Worst Ever Jags Manager?

LambieIsGod

Dick Campbell, hated his style of play.

I doubt there's many, if indeed any, that would disagree with that.

I realise that it's a bit like carping over who's the most talented Spice Girl but in the Bunnet's defence I would argue he could on more than a few occasions get largely untalented players battling to get results against better opposition. To his credit he did sign Mark Roberts, John Robertson, Donnelly & Archie (tho' I'm not certain he had much say with the latter signing).

On the other hand Uncle Fester squandered his budget like there was no tomorrow (nearly wasn't) but in terms of league position he left us no worse than when he joined. Probably worse managers sandwiched between Bertie leaving and in between the various Lambie spells.

I doubt there's many, if indeed any, that would disagree with that.

I realise that it's a bit like carping over who's the most talented Spice Girl but in the Bunnet's defence I would argue he could on more than a few occasions get largely untalented players battling to get results against better opposition. To his credit he did sign Mark Roberts, John Robertson, Donnelly & Archie (tho' I'm not certain he had much say with the latter signing).

On the other hand Uncle Fester squandered his budget like there was no tomorrow (nearly wasn't) but in terms of league position he left us no worse than when he joined. Probably worse managers sandwiched between Bertie leaving and in between the various Lambie spells.

I feel that the bit in bold is a massive misrepresentation and sounds like the kind of remark that the bunnet himself would trot out in post match interviews.

DC took us down to the 2nd division. Scraped back up via a 4th place finish. I remember reading that we were officially the worst full time team in Scotland that season. Although the players only seemed to remember they were full time when the wages were paid! I think DC is probably a decent part time manager, but given a full time job he didn't seem to change his ways at all. It was well documented that he would arrive after 10am and be back in his car again for 12.30 every day. We certainly looked like a part time side when he was in charge.

At least Campbell got us promoted and achieved something of note.

Collins was horrifically out of his depth. His signings such as Anis left to play junior football, feck knows what happened to the other diddies like Andy Ross.

Also 1 win in 13 games in the SPL was woeful and after Thistle correctly sacked him he got his mates like Chic Young to turn on us.

Utter **** of a man.

In my time watching Thistle.

Bertie Auld & Peter Cormack well thought of.

In DJ's defence he didn't want the job as such but Ken Bates was master of all he surveyed in those days.

Lament was awful as was proved when Lambie got more out the same players than he ever did.

MacLeod was a nightmare. Still haven't forgiven for Tannidice & in particular playing a right footed CH in Gregg Watson at left back where Jered Stirling was MotM for previous few games. I still can see Watson slice that ball out of play in last minute which led to their throw in & equaliser!! :(

Colin's deserved a shot at it & actually assembled a not bad squad but he set the bar too high, wanted to run before he could walk & 'gies a shift' didn't work. I knew someone who played under Collins & in one HT talk he went around the dressing room pointing fingers at the players saying "you're sh*te, you're sh*te & you... You're even f@@@img worse."

McVeigh a bit unlucky for me in terms of what happened after he got the job with the Save the Jags & players going. Was it not McVeigh & everything else that was going on that gave Archie his debut?

Bryce another who shouldn't have been anywhere near the job but BoD went for cheap option & hoped he'd sign best Div 2 players & walk the league.

Britton/Whyte best left glossed over.

The winner has to be Dick Campbell. The money the club wasted under this clown & he got us relegated then scraped us back up through play offs which we also scraped in to.

Edited by Trotter

I feel that the bit in bold is a massive misrepresentation and sounds like the kind of remark that the bunnet himself would trot out in post match interviews.

Coming to think of it you're spot on. I knew all that PR practice I did in an earlier life wasn't all bad :D

I still think Campbell wasn't the worst, Sandy Clark or Derek Johnstone made him look like Mourinho. Imo the Bunnet was merely atrocious.

Tommy Bryce

i just thought - "oh god we really are a diddy second divsion side" at that point.

My thoughts also. Tommy was a nice chap, but as a manager totally out of his depth. He was hired presumably because he was cheap - and the then Board thought that as player-manager they were getting two for the price of one. That was the sort of blinkered, unambitious , short-term thinking that almost sent the club into oblivion.

We've had more than our fair share of poor managers. It's not always their fault they're crap but I think the people who appoint them seem to get off lightly.

DJ and Sandra were pish, but under Campbell the football was shocking and as soon as the opposition scored I knew we were going to lose at least 1.0, not a very nice feeling.

At one point I didn't think we'd ever see a decent manager again. So to have 3 relatively successful appointments in a row has restored my faith a bit.

Does Jimmy Bone's tenure as caretaker manager count? I respect what he did for the club as a player but I will never forgive him for the way he treated Kenny Arthur. Also, as touched upon in a previous post, he was equally as culpable for the utter shambles with Campbell which seems to go under the radar. A sh*tehawk.

As for worst ever permanent managers, it really has to be Campbell. That defeat away to Hamilton, which was a big nail in our coffin, should never have happened - playing our top scorer Juan Ramon on the left wing and that joker McConalogue up front instead who then missed a sitter. Paying a considerable transfer fee for Graeme Gibson and asserting during a fans meeting that Derek Fleming had always been a left back were also ridiculous. The way he hung Colin Stewart out to dry was despicable and I don't think his career has ever properly recovered. As much as he is undoubtedly the worst manager I've seen, he was also one of the luckiest. He signed Jukka Santala as a centre half, where he was utterly atrocious, and punted him up front simply to get him away from our goal and thanks to Dougie Cameron's fat arse, he stayed in a job for a season longer than he should have.

All that said however, he brought us the Hoor and, managerial skills aside, was actually quite a decent, if very stubborn, bloke in my experience.

Edited by Armand2

Obviously all our opinions are coloured by our own personal memories, making every choice here one from within the last twenty years. But surely we must have had some bloaters back in the day?

no, "back in the day" the records are all pretty good (with the exception of Scot Symon, who was a decent enough man)

George Easton 1903–1929 Scottish Cup (1920–21) Donald Turner 1927–1947 David Meiklejohn 1947–1959 3rd in the Scottish League (1947–48 & 1953–54) Willie Thornton 1959–1968 3rd in the Scottish League (1962–63) Scot Symon 1968–1970 Davie McParland 1970–1974 League Cup (1971), Division Two (1970–71) Bertie Auld 1974–1980 Division One (1975–76)

The above (pasted from wiki) doesnt even tell the full story - Scottish Cup final under Turner and 3 League Cup finals under MeikleJohn. Bertie Auld had us finish 5th a couple of times in the Premier Division.

No there is no doubt about it - in one hundered and thirty seven years, Dick Campbell stands supreme!

Edited by Mencius
  • Like 1

• Members

Strangely, whilst Auld brought us some success. I've heard many say it was the worst football you could ever imagine watching!

Rough in goal and 10 across the back.

Bobby Houston, Doug Somner and Joe Craig for a start would ruin that argument Dave. The side that won the first ever 1st division after league reconstruction under Betie Auld was probably the best Thistle side I've ever seen.

Does Jimmy Bone's tenure as caretaker manager count? I respect what he did for the club as a player but I will never forgive him for the way he treated Kenny Arthur. Also, as touched upon in a previous coach, he was equally as culpable for the utter shambles with Campbell which seems to go under the radar. A sh*tehawk.

As for worst ever permanent managers, it really has to be Campbell. That defeat away to Hamilton, which was a big nail in our coffin, should never have happened - playing our top scorer Juan Ramon on the left wing and that joker McConalogue up front instead who then missed a sitter. Paying a considerable transfer fee for Graeme Gibson and asserting during a fans meeting that Derek Fleming had always been a left back were also ridiculous. The way he hung Colin Stewart out to dry was despicable and I don't think his career has ever properly recovered. As much as he is undoubtedly the worst manager I've seen, he was also one of the luckiest. He signed Jukka Santala as a centre half, where he was utterly atrocious, and punted him up front simply to get him away from our goal and thanks to Dougie Cameron's fat arse, he stayed in a job for a season longer than he should have.

All that said however, he brought us the Hoor and, managerial skills aside, was actually quite a decent. if very stubborn, bloke in my experience.

The day he played Marco as a wing-back was the day I realised that Campbell was not actually interested in and would never manage to understand this (simple) game.

The day he played Marco as a wing-back was the day I realised that Campbell was not actually interested in and would never manage to understand this (simple) game.

Away to Clyde IIRC. He also tried Derek Young there and never once played Ricky Gillies in his right position in all the time he was at the club.

How he is still stealing a living out of football, I will never ever know.

He played McConalogue at left back in a pre season friendly.

Yet always played Darren Brady in centre midfield.

I always like to guess the team on my way to games, something I still do. Dont think I ever got a team selection correct under DC's reign

Bobby Houston, Doug Somner and Joe Craig for a start would ruin that argument Dave. The side that won the first ever 1st division after league reconstruction under Betie Auld was probably the best Thistle side I've ever seen.

It became more defensive in the PL - moving from a 4-2-4 to a 4-4-2 (though with much the same squad, just the lightweight but skilful John Craig being dropped for a more solid midfielder - can't remember if it was Gibson or Marr).

One thing always really annoyed me was the number of fans of other teams who claimed we were the most boring defensive team in the PL and refused to listen to your reasons why not. I'll give them here:

In that period every team defended in depth away - apart from the OF and maybe Aberdeen. We were similarly defensive away but no more than any other team outside the ones I mention. Every team apart from the big names came to Firhill and parked the bus.

At home we did attack, with two wingers and good forwards. Houston and McQuade and later Houston and Park - the likes of Somner, Joe Craig, Jim Melrose. I remember a game we beat Rangers (at a time when they'd just had a great away win against PSV) at Firhill and it was a great performance.

Edited by Mr Bunny

For me , with (dis)honourable mentions to the Dick, and DJ there is a clear winner in my 30+ yrs watching the Jags.....step forward Sandy Clark.

Took a team with one league defeat (in the game before he was appointed away at McDiarmid) to winning 2 of the next 17. Included in that shambles was a 5-4 Hogmanay humping from Albion Rovers ffs....despite being 2 up after 3 mins and also leading 4-2 as I recall.

Archie showing up pretty well so far as stats below show (great site for the statto's amongst us!)

http://www.fitbastats.com/partickthistle/manager_games.php?id=16

http://www.fitbastats.com/partickthistle/manager_records.php

Took a team with one league defeat (in the game before he was appointed away at McDiarmid) to winning 2 of the next 17. Included in that shambles was a 5-4 Hogmanay humping from Albion Rovers ffs....despite being 2 up after 3 mins and also leading 4-2 as I recall.

That does sound like an entertaining game, though ...

I'm amazed Rovers were allowed to open their terracing for that game - I vividly recall standing on top of girders that were lying on the terracing.

I'm sure we actually went two up through Johnny Flood and that he bagged a hat-trick. Big Calum Campbell got the other - it was certainly a case of 'nurse!' after that match!