Spl2 - 10 Clubs Resign From Sfl

The Cup

Gordon Waddell breaking news on Twitter that the current First Divsion clubs minus Airdrie United, plus Dundee and QoS, are to resign from the SFL with the SPL suggesting they have vacancies in a "Championship" league. Sevco haven't resigned yet but may be asked to join.

Obviously not been substantiated yet, but if true I think that's a pretty poor way to go about it. If the SFL and SPL can't agree, the SFA have said they're going to step in (though why they haven't stepped in yet I really don't know). They wouldn't have left with immediate (this summer) effect, would they? I was under the impression a notice period of a year or two was necessary.

The redistribution of prizemoney proposal would be well worth it for first division clubs in the 24 team set up, so I can see why they've gone for it.

I've just looked it up, seems it's 9 SFL1 clubs (all excluding us) plus QoS and Dundee making up 11 teams that have resigned. This leaves one invitation spot for an SPL2 team if a 12-12 structure is to be adopted. I wonder who that will be...

Pretty horrible the more you think about it, and could be a brilliant move for Airdrie.

I've just looked it up, seems it's 9 SFL1 clubs (all excluding us) plus QoS and Dundee making up 11 teams that have resigned. This leaves one invitation spot for an SPL2 team if a 12-12 structure is to be adopted. I wonder who that will be...

Pretty horrible the more you think about it, and could be a brilliant move for Airdrie.

What is your source for this?

According to STV site nobody has resigned. The clubs that are 'poised to resign' are 8 SFL1 clubs (all excluding Airdrie) plus QoS. Dundee are ready to resign also, when their inevitable relegation is confirmed.

Well, well! What do you know?!!

I know that I won't be renewing my season ticket until I know exactly what this means……I presume that it heralds SPL2, with Rangers invited to join ….but I want ALL the details up front, right down to the teeniest, tiniest, before I'll be parting with my money.

So according to the STV news they've resigned "to force through league reconstruction" as they are "frustrated at the lack of progress". The only people to have voted on reconstruction are the SPL. Any lack of progress sits squarely at their door.

So why resign to join the people that are blocking the progress you desire?

What is your source for this?

According to STV site nobody has resigned. The clubs that are 'poised to resign' are 8 SFL1 clubs (all excluding Airdrie) plus QoS. Dundee are ready to resign also, when their inevitable relegation is confirmed.

The twitter feed that was quoted in the OP. I just looked at a later tweet that included newer info. The STV story had the exact same as the twitter story.

The twitter feed that was quoted in the OP. I just looked at a later tweet that included newer info. The STV story had the exact same as the twitter story.

So nobody has resigned. There is a long way to go before this is decided. According to BBC Radio a few minutes ago, Ross County and St Mirren are against SPL2.

Something I'm not clear on. Are we currently an SFL or an SPL club?

We are an SFL club. We still have to complete the SFL1 fixtures. I don't know when we become an SPL club.

What seems clear though is that we are not one of the clubs 'poised to resign'.

For years the SFL has let down their full time clubs big time. I'd like someone to point to a time when PTFC wouldn't have felt aligned to join a breakaway group. Alternatively point to a recent time where the part time club SFL majority has been aligned to league reconstruction or indeed anything that could be described as progress.

Next season will provide a novelty for us in that we'll mostly be playing clubs we don't regularly play but we shouldn't either forget our roots or pretend that Scottish football isn't repetitive and boring. The status quo isn't an option.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Can someone explain to me why these clubs are leaving a relatively well-run and respected organisation to throw their lot in with an opportunistic, shabby and self-righteous cabal?

Well it's definitely not $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you'd be a Communist to think otherwise.