Spl2 - 10 Clubs Resign From Sfl

The Cup

Its fantastic. It redistributes finance to the second tier, it brings in the play-offs which have proven to be successful in generating competitive football, excitement and large attendances. Maintaining full-time football should no longer be a problem for the established second tier clubs. Anyone picking faults is nitpicking in the face of the evidence at hand.

A great day and this will finally put the ridiculous 16 team league nonsense to bed. Now we can forget the reconstruction bollocks and talk football.

Err, that's exactly what we had back in 95-96, when we got relegated and Dundee Utd went up. And then what happened? They immediately got rid of the play-offs after they'd got rid of us.

No they didn't. They got rid of the play-offs after the 1996/97 season after Hibs beat Airdrie over two legs to stay up. That Airdrie side finished second in the First Division, while we finished sixth in MacLeod's last season in charge.

It's an improvement. 1 league body, redistribution of wealth and more movement between leagues is a step forward. I am not all for summer football as it means we go out of synch with European leagues but starting say 1 week earlier and finishing 1 or 2 weeks later would probably be good. A winter break gives pitches, players and supporters a rest regardless of when the winter is at its peak. Nothing finer than watching a game in the sun.

Does this mean we get more money?

I have to admit I did like the 8-8-8 split. Helped solve the problem of playing the same old teams. You would have everyone in Top 12 play each other twice with people fighting to get into the Top 8. Then the change happens. Top 8 battle it out, hopefully with teams taking points of each other to even things up. Middle 8 are playing for promotion and relegation so there would be 4 different teams to play against and a keen contest. Bottom 8 fight for promotion with 50% success rate.

So, being totally selfish, 2 weeks after we win our rights to ride on the gravy train, it gets diluted and they bring back the playoff, last used to relegate us.

Shall I write the season's end now ?

Let's face it though, we're always going to be in a relegation dogfight next season anyway. More money is going to be spread around, that's the main thing. And maybe this time next year they'll reorganise the leagues to be bigger!

So, being totally selfish, 2 weeks after we win our rights to ride on the gravy train, it gets diluted and they bring back the playoff, last used to relegate us.

Shall I write the season's end now ?

Let's face it though, we're always going to be in a relegation dogfight next season anyway. More money is going to be spread around, that's the main thing. And maybe this time next year they'll reorganise the leagues to be bigger!

If the wealth redistribution proposals are the same as before then where we'll finish will depend on whether we'd be better off. I think it works out that the top 3 clubs lost most, the next 3 lose some then the rest gain money and the teams in the first gain a whole lot.

So in theory if we were to finish in the bottom 6 but out of the playoffs then we'd be better off than we would have been should this not be passed.

If we didn't win the league this season, then we would be welcoming these decisions.

Be careful you're not falling into the self preservation camp. Not ideal but it's positive that there will be play offs.

That is the worry! But the big upside to this is that whilst there are more relegation places, it would be much easier to have a good shot at getting promoted should we drop down and the financial impact of being relegated is much more diluted.

No they didn't. They got rid of the play-offs after the 1996/97 season after Hibs beat Airdrie over two legs to stay up. That Airdrie side finished second in the First Division, while we finished sixth in MacLeod's last season in charge.

Thanks for correction. In either case, it was a decision to protect the favoured few. At least today's decision lowers their protection a wee bit.

Wow. Moving towards the absolutely perfect set up. Some common sense at last. I almost can't believe it. I really hope this goes through.

I guess the stupid and completely meaningless 6-6 remains in place?

Please feel free to shoot me if you see me going absolutely mental because my team has just finished 6th in any league.

playoff is 4th vs 3rd, with winner playing 2nd, then the winner plays 11th

home and away for each round

So 3rd and 4th placed teams could end up playing 6 games over a couple of weeks

Good news, so I'm just nit picking really. But if this is the case then why is the SPL making the rules for how the First Division should determine which team enters the play-off? I think top four in a ten team league is too much. We didn't deserve to exit the second division after finishing fourth. I'd rather a straight play-off between second top and second bottom.

• Like 1

Good news, so I'm just nit picking really. But if this is the case then why is the SPL making the rules for how the First Division should determine which team enters the play-off? I think top four in a ten team league is too much. We didn't deserve to exit the second division after finishing fourth. I'd rather a straight play-off between second top and second bottom.

It would make sense. Alternatively 2nd and 3rd in the First Division play-off to decide who plays the the 11th club in the SPL.

I believe the important thing is to firstly have the two bodies merging. After that the leagues could reconstruct into something a bit more palatable. It may require the lower leagues showing the way but we shouldn't take our eye off the real malaise ie playing each other 4 times a season.

We've just had the most memorable of seasons but had we failed to get promotion I and I presume many others would be pointing out that we only competed in all competitions against 13 different clubs over 45 competitive games. That's just crap.

• Like 1

playoff is 4th vs 3rd, with winner playing 2nd, then the winner plays 11th

home and away for each round

So 3rd and 4th placed teams could end up playing 6 games over a couple of weeks

I always liked that idea in theory, properly handicapping the four team playoff (I'd switch around 11th and 2nd though, it should favour the second placed team most). But you have alluded to the reason why this couldn't happen, if they wanted this before the season's end (Scottish Cup final), the leagues would need to finish well in advance.