A Song To Ditch

Chicob

I have always sung it, will continue to and if you want to join in when I start it then feel free. The current song that most offends me is the 'We're Partick Thistle, we'll score when we want' Absolutely feckin cringeworthy, particularly when we're playing gash. The general air of arrogance and superiority amongst Thistle fans this season has really pissed me off. It's the kind of attitude I've come to expect from my Old Firm supporting chums. I suspect when we only win 8 or 9 games next season it will mysteriously disappear.

• Like 1

I can see your point(s), and with the political squad around every corner, except when its THEY two involved, I can see problems for the club.

So in summary, NO, keep singing it. It is NOT bigoted as some zoomers say, it is a statement of our utter hatred and contempt for it.

Change final lines to

"We don't gie a f**k aboot yer pope or yer queen" ???

That way we're not having a go at the figureheads just saying we don't give a damn about them.

• Like 2

I always cringe when something is called "offensive". What I find offensive (which is nothing) will be different to what another person finds offensive. So what do we do? Ban everything in order to save anyone from feeling any offence? Or just let everyone say or sing whatever they want? I vote for the latter.

People who are offended at the song have every right to be offended at it. Just as I have every right to find their offence ridiculous.

Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you're right...........

So why are you singing it in the first place? Presumably it's because YOU have taken offence to the bile that has came out from the OF. So by your logic they have got every right to sing whatever they want and the rest of us are just being ridiculous for taking umbrage. This argument of having the right to say whatever you want and if others are offended then its their problem does not hold. If I call someone a 'paki' or a 'chinky' and they take offence it is not them being ridiculous it is them quite rightly being offended and while others around might not feel their offence personally they can still understand and agree with their indignation.

So in summary, NO, keep singing it. It is NOT bigoted as some zoomers say, it is a statement of our utter hatred and contempt for it.

And yet we seem to be the only group of fans still singing it, everyone else has moved on from it. do we just hate them more, than everyone else, so that makes it acceptable?

The song is as relevant today as it ever was.

No it's not.

Not sure about others, but I haven't ever sung "fk the Pope" or "fk the queen". It's always been "fk YOUR Pope" and "fk YOUR Queen". A world of difference. If others misconstrue it, that's their problem. Sing on lads.

Regardless of the "corect" words, it's not "their problem", it's our problem when the club receive a complaint from the police/spl after celtic's stewards make a complaint about us to "even up" the stats. The bit in bold could have been lifted from any rangers/celtic forum.

Maybe we should just save it for the big occasions as a little treat.

like against Celtic at Firhill? where celtic stewards will be working? the same celtic stewards who have deliberatley started making complaints to the police about home fans to get them arrested, so that it evens up the stats to ensure celtic fans don't look as bad at the end of the day?

I have always sung it, will continue to and if you want to join in when I start it then feel free.

and yet you didn't start it at 90% of home games this season. shhhh'd down at the first game of the season, and not heard again at Firhill until the Morton and Dunfermline games

I always cringe when something is called "offensive". What I find offensive (which is nothing) will be different to what another person finds offensive. So what do we do? Ban everything in order to save anyone from feeling any offence? Or just let everyone say or sing whatever they want? I vote for the latter.

I take it 26/12/96 in your user name is your date of birth?

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

SFA came out in the press in 2006 and said there nothing wrong with it. They understood the message being made in the song.

And we all know how wise the SFA are ? How ludicrous would it be for the SFA in today's climate to attempt to defend the words 'Fk your pope/queen'. Even they wouldn't be so stupid (Well maybe???) It's not the message that's the problem it is the manner in which it is conveyed.

And we all know how wise the SFA are ? How ludicrous would it be for the SFA in today's climate to attempt to defend the words 'Fk your pope/queen'. Even they wouldn't be so stupid (Well maybe???) It's not the message that's the problem it is the manner in which it is conveyed.

Not getting into a debate in whether it's right or wrong just stating a fact.

I have always sung it, will continue to and if you want to join in when I start it then feel free. The current song that most offends me is the 'We're Partick Thistle, we'll score when we want' Absolutely feckin cringeworthy, particularly when we're playing gash. The general air of arrogance and superiority amongst Thistle fans this season has really pissed me off. It's the kind of attitude I've come to expect from my Old Firm supporting chums. I suspect when we only win 8 or 9 games next season it will mysteriously disappear.

I had a feeling that some of our songs would be debated to death as, in truth, they probably tread a fine line and I don't know if being part of a football crowd is an adequate defence. Although for the record, 'Hello Hello' is one that we are famous for and I'm all for keeping it. The sentiments expressed therein set us apart from the OF and this is a song born out of struggle. (Which is a long-winded way of saying it's a way of telling anyone who wants to listen that we don't give a f*ck about what the OF stand for. Many agree and, for example, quite a few English fans of my acquaintance - who hate the big guns of the English Premiership and who they feel are destroying their game - are aware of our small-numbered and principled stance.)

I think the above hits the nail firmly in the head and for me is of more concern. Purely on grounds of taste and will we be able to sing it often next season?

But as for 'Hello Hello', if we've got to change it (please don't lose it!), why not either water it down ' the we don't give a f*ck' sentiments expressed elsewhere in the thread as if it keeps someone away from a fine (club or individual) then this discussion will have been worthwhile. Take it as read that this is probably where this is heading with this thread being used as evidence that the words were changed and the arresting officers jumped in without understanding the words, sentiments or context. But at the end of the day a fine will still be the punishment - public disorder, use of foul abusive language, breach of the peace or whatever. There's always a way not to make the police look stupid and trying to be smart-arsed in court usually doesn't work.

The other alternative is to hold it in the back pocket for games where it will surface and to run the risk. This year with increased crowds a few old songs were getting a blast. I guess Mary from Maryhill is probably another questionable song. An old favourite but in today's PC age, one that is sexist yes, puerile yes, but in terms of football chants or songs, is it that bad i.e. would the polis step in? Next we'll be banning the Alan Archibald song on the grounds that it's funny; but some wives and girlfriends might not like it.

Moving on to the 'Firhill Boys are in Town' should this too be banned? Some may say that, with success, our casual element is on the rise; so will this be used to explain their future actions?

Should the North Stand Song Writers Guild post here to get clearance before songs are introduced at games? Probably…

Edited by Meister Jag

It may change to "We're Partick Thistle, we score when we can."

• Like 1

It didn't really get much of an airing this season, I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I don't want jailed for being seen singing it.

The Jimmy Saville song is the worst of the lot and that really has to go especially at Celtic Park, the press will have a field day if people sing that. It might have raised a chuckle the first time it was sung against nobodies in a 2/3 empty Firhill right after the story broke but it needs to be canned. If I heard other teams singing this I would hold them in the same contempt I hold the old firm.

• Like 1

It didn't really get much of an airing this season, I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I don't want jailed for being seen singing it.

The Jimmy Saville song is the worst of the lot and that really has to go especially at Celtic Park, the press will have a field day if people sing that. It might have raised a chuckle the first time it was sung against nobodies in a 2/3 empty Firhill right after the story broke but it needs to be canned. If I heard other teams singing this I would hold them in the same contempt I hold the old firm.

Agreed. I can't stand the Jimmy Saville chants. Absolutely terrible.

• Like 1

I was quite glad when it got hushed down at the start of the season. Did we not in fact boo another team singing it at some point (Morton on Boxing Day perhaps)?

There is absolutely no need to sing about either of those figureheads, we're above that. Why run the risk of ruining our family friendly reputation by arguing that the lyrics are being misconstrued when we're better off focusing on the football?

This song must have had more posts devoted to it on the various Jags forums over the years than any other subject that springs to mind. Ipso facto, one would think that the song itself was some sort of subversive attack on the basic norms of our society(which, unfortunately it may indeed be for some people in West, Central Scotland). In addition we could also hope that our society has matured to the point where it has no need of any parody of sectarian values. Alas, would that be the case I would be the first one to argue that we shouldn't sing this song. However, I have to say that society in and around Glasgow and football in particular is still blighted by bigotry aided and abetted by a media who if not complicit, at the very least do a plausible impression of the three monkeys, In essence, what I feel is that yes maybe that song is reminiscent of days long gone, but in the grand scheme of things I honestly do not see that singing this song is a hanging issue.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

I've always wondered why we sing this song.

Talking to people I know from both arse cheeks who are desperate to get old firm games again, I've come to realise that it's not for the football. It's because they miss the hatred they can show for each other.

So are Thistle fans being righteous or just twice as hate-filled?

• Like 1